Ranking of Taiwanese cities

taoyuan city. zhong li is slightly better. taoyuan is so crap that its indescribably crap.

They have some of the best preserved colonial and precolonial architecture dating from a variety of times in Taiwan’s history. Newer houses in Anping vary a lot from high rises to postmodern designs. It is aesthetically pleasing and has the most potential if everything is restored.

2 Likes

I like Dasi Town though.

1 Like

I have a good mate who lives there, and he swears by the cheaper prices and beach access. But then again, he is a stingy jock.

1 Like

I feel like Tainan is the hidden/ underrated gem that is actually the place to be.

1 Like

that area is nice yeah, should be added to xinbei really.

Tainan has a great vibe, amazing food, and I’d say it is the only city on the island that is truly pretty.

I’ve found that there is not much to be exited or thrilled about in Changhua City. I find it quite depressing there lol.

Someoine named Taichungguy2 says he likes Taichung the least. Hmmm.
I’d say from best to worst it’s as follows:
Taipei, Hualien, Taichung, Ilan, Taidong, New Taipei, and Puli…Yea. Uh… then comes Hsinchu, Chiayi, Luodong, Jiaoxi, Danshui, and Keelung, … uh huh… Then Taoyuan, Miaoli, Nantou, Nanwan, Nanzhuang… Erm… Yuanlin, Zhubei, Puzi, Taibao, … followed by Toufen, Magong, Douliou, and then Kaohsiung.

2 Likes

I know right, lol.

1 Like

I find people are really divided over Kaohsiung. Some people love it, others the opposite.

Isn’t it supposed to have the best Taiwanese (not international) food on the island? People swear by the lamb hot-pots.

I’m in the middle. I’d certainly rather be here than Taoyuan or Taichung. But it is a place with … limits. There’s about 4 interesting districts and a lot of it has a small city feel. The food here is not great, also very limited in choices. I’d much rather live in Taipei. On the upside, I don’t think I could get a uni job in Taipei or afford such a cheap apartment. So there are benefits to not living there. But the actual things on offer to do are better in the north.

1 Like

Ooof… harsh.

1 Like

The only issue with Taipei is the price tag that comes with that Taipei life.

1 Like

Yep. Goes with the territory of a country’s showcase city, whether that’s New York, London, Paris, Seoul, Tokyo, etc

Finding the second-best thing/place is the hard part, right? lol

1 Like

Putting Kaohsiung at the end of this list is ridiculous. It is laid out intelligently, it has an MRT system (yes with limits), it has water access, it has some great people that could see BS with their former mayor and do something about it. It’s absolutely not at the bottom of the pile!

Guy

2 Likes

Totally agree. At worst, Kaohsiung could be in the middle. But even that would be too low considering all the forgettable cities in the middle of the country here. How is Taichung THIRD and Ktown last?

Changhua would be at the absolute bottom for me

1 Like