Rant

Ski,

[quote]Have you ever managed before?

Like I said 26 of 27 teachers are doing their jobs. It only take one dumb ass to spoil it. [/quote]

I manage the education, and social upbringing of 18 children on a daily basis. (Aside from my M.A. in International Business Management) Can I fire the kids who misbehave? No. I cant even pick who is in the room. Can I constantly blame the children for their behaviour? No. Sometimes it is my fault. Maybe I give them poor instructions, or set ambiguous rules. When a child misbehaves can I call them a dumb ass? No. Some children/employees challenge the rules and they are the ones who make you re-evaluate your methods. I am afraid you should grin and bear it. Tame the beast, and he will forever be in your pocket. It sure works with kids. Its your human resource, which your company saw fit to employ.

BTW, was this guy playing SOLO volleyball? My guess is no. The response “This is shit” is not the correct one, as it is swearing, but the sentiment isnt that hard to understand.

Im sorry to jump down your throat over this ski, but sometimes we must look at ourselves as much as we look at others when assigning blame.

Closet Queen, I am sure she does it for requirements sake, but I bet she’d also tell you it is a bloody good idea.

Don’t fire him yet, but start setting up the procedures to do so. His behavior is out of line and nothing, but very strict guidelines and written reports will sort him out. He seems like a real charmer.

You can not except this behavior or attitude in a school with children. It’s too damn infectious. I would be actively searching for his replacement and have already sorted this out with my principal. If he’s like this outside of class, what is he like in class?

CYA
Okami

Damn. I can’t remember the last time it was ok to curse at your supervisor let alone anyone else in the office. Oh wait I do remember when, it’s when you want the door to hit you in the ass on the way out.

Fire the s.o.b. and post his name so others can be warned. :smiling_imp:

I think if he is acting this way in front of children and parents (especially the language and the combattive attitude), then if you don’t drop him or at least put him on probation, you stand the risk of losing business or having your name tarnished in the least. Kids are very apt at picking up inappropriate words in any language…as both a teacher who has heard 3-year-old Taiwanese children say “shit” in the appropriate context and a learner who taught one of her French teachers some French swear words. They going to take the opportunity to shock Mom or Dad who will also be familiar with some common swear words and phrases and there will be little doubt as to where they are picking up the language. Even though this is totally out of your hands as far as what happens to this guy, I would say to push for no less than probation (complete with probationary pay).

Ski, you’re a hockey player. Take him aside and pound his ass.

It depends on your definition of “lesson plan”. Minute by minute, heavily detailed plans are okay for beginners but not necessary for more experienced teachers. However, that doesn’t mean that you don’t need to prepare. When I do my lesson plans these days, I compose a brief outline of 3 to 4 lines - basically jotting down notes to cue myself what I need to do, a quick list of activities & goals for the class. It makes a world of difference in your teaching and only takes 5-10 minutes if you’re experienced enough to know what you’re doing. Winging it with no preparation is a recipe for a poor class, no matter how experience the teacher is. The only exceptions are if you’ve taught this same lesson two dozen times already and know it all by heart.

You mean, pull his shirt up over his head and then beat the tar out of him…

[quote=“ski”]I’d love to…but rules are rules here. So it won’t be ha;pening soon.

I’m not very concerned about the lesson plans. I more disgruntaled with the attitude that he gives out.

THe other day he is in the hallway playing vollyball with a nother teacher. Right in front of a large group of parents. Fun and games are fine but anyone with half a brain could figure out.
“Hey parents! Let’s act professional”. :s
But nope. This one can’t.
Then when he is told to put the ball away…
“That’s shit” right in front of some students.
:noway:
Daft, Daft, Daft… :bluemad:

I could go on for hours about this one.

SA, Ed degree, never had a real job before, just want’s to get drunk and laid, might be looking for a job soon. Don’t hire!![/quote]

Had one of those a long time ago. About a year ago actually. The similarity is scary, same country, same degree, no real job before.

Don’t have anyone like that now, nor will I in the future.

Most times I have had to let a teacher go, it wasn’t because they were a bad teacher. It was because they didn’t display sound judgement when dealing with co-workers, students, and/or parents. This guy is a classic example of one who lacks sound judgement.

If someone is having a problem teaching, most of the time the problem can be fixed. Extra training, support, blah, blah, blah. However, you will not be able to change character issues. I know, I have tried before and failed. You also need to have faith in the people in the trenches and if that guy was working for me, I would be constantly worried when is the next time he will do something stupid. I imagine you have better things to do with your time rather than always having to look over his shoulder.

Your best bet is to let this guy go…ASAP.

I have yet to have worked in a school that requires both a lesson plan and a lesson record though. I do understand the difference, but most schools see them as the same. Although things do change, I would still be suprised to learn that schools require both of these things though as I have never heard of one.

[quote] NOt a great teacher!
Has an Ed degree from his home country.
This is his first teaching job.

[/quote]

How long has he been working there? From his behavior he sounds very young, early 20’s maybe? I’m not saying to cut him a lot of slack but definately have a discussion about professional behavior, job duites and your expectations. This could be addressed in a meeting to all of your staff so it doesn’t seem like you’re picking on him. If he’s not a great teacher help him by giving him suggestions as to how he could be more effective. Praise him if he does something well. Then if in a few weeks his attitude doesn’t improve I would let him know he’s standing on shakey ground. I believe in giving people chances to improve especially if they are young and inexperienced.

I’ll take the job…I’ve got 4 years of experience in Taiwan. Am getting married in 8 months!

I have been working at a kindergarden and bushiban for the last 2 years now.I must do lesson plans every week.sometimes I feel im gonna die if I hear that word again.but theres a bunch of other things that make up for the lesson plans,like a chinese new year bonus of about 24000 nt and 2 weeks paid leave each year.If u compare all the good things to all the bad things,what does it matter to use 2hours a week for lessonplans.its in my contract as well,so actually I dont have a choice.And I have a 3 year arc with them,so i dont have any worries for the next few years.that makes a big difference as well.

What is a 3 year ARC? This is the first time I’ve heard of it.

It’s a real thing, Mr Pendulous.

[quote=“stragbasher”]It’s a real thing, Mr Pendulous.[/quote]Not in Taipei County it’s not.

Correction to my posting above.

The booklet issued by the people who give out the work permits in Taipei - for everyone now? - includes a 3 year permit in their list of options. I don’t know if 3-year ARCs are possible, but rassie presumably has a 3-yr contract, 3 yr work permit, and therefore doesn’t have to worry about doing anything more than getting his pre-approved renewal every year.

[quote=“stragbasher”]Correction to my posting above.

The booklet issued by the people who give out the work permits in Taipei - for everyone now? - includes a 3 year permit in their list of options. I don’t know if 3-year ARCs are possible, but rassie presumably has a 3-yr contract, 3 yr work permit, and therefore doesn’t have to worry about doing anything more than getting his pre-approved renewal every year.[/quote]I dont know how my school oganized my 3 yrs arc,but ive got it.it expires in may, 2006.I also have a re entry permit in my passport that expires in may,2006.I only have a one year contract with my school but told them I may stay in Taiwan for 3 yrs.Sometimes im not so happy with the way they do things,but I guess all of us have days like that.
I dont have to renew anything every year,its cool till it expires

Easy fucking solution here -

Stop making people submit useless lesson plans

[quote=“ski”]So your the boss, sitting there one day and a teacher tells you
“I’m not writning anymore lesson plans”
What do you say?

It’s in thier job description.
He has never written a decent lesson plan in the fisrt place.
Nobody has ever gotten off by making demands.
When you tell him that he only needs to write two a week,
he say “Fuck that!” and walks away".

What do you say?

SKI[/quote]

Fire him, simple as that :fume: