Ranting, raving, venting

A big shout out to everyone out there… I’ve been reading Forumosa topics for a while now, but this is my first topic, let alone first posting…

Anyway, here’s my thing… I’ve been living in Taiwan now for a while, and I have several things to say about foreigners/travelers/tourists/backpackers/lifers/whatever… First off, there are some really good people out there, and they

Ah, A fellow Carlin fan.

I have no quams with your post whatsoever. In fact, I share alot of the same experiences. Maybe guilty of a few as well.

Welcome to Forumosa.

I just try to ignore the kinds of people you are talking about. If you ignore them, they seem to fade away.

I think you’ll catch flack with some of our American members here with that avatar. Welcome, but play nice.

[quote=“Ozzy”]Crazy,but that’s how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it’s not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Driving me insane
I’m going off the rails on a crazy train

I’ve listened to preachers
I’ve listened to fools
I’ve watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you live the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane
I’m going off the rails on a crazy train

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeah

Heirs of a cold war
That’s what we’ve become
Inheriting troubles I’m mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
I’m living with something that just isn’t fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and what’s to blame
I’m going off the rails on a crazy train [/quote]

Welcome aboard keepitgreen!

bobepine

[quote=“keepitgreen”] I keep calling us travelers here, because for the vast majority of us we are just that

This guy invented ranting didn’t he.

keepitgreen -
Welcome.
Nice first post. Things well said.
New meat for the usual susects to play with.

keepitgreen, I can understand California, but if it

I’m American and I think it’s pretty funny :sunglasses:

One should always retain the ability to laugh at one’s own flaws.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

I’m American and I think it’s pretty funny :sunglasses:

One should always retain the ability to laugh at one’s own flaws.[/quote]
And it has been used before on this board.

Welcome to keepitgreen. Also an American, I think his avatar is fine with me. It is pretty comical. I used it for a couple of days, then changed it. Just didn’t want to poke too many people in the eye. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the message, only one comment on the point about respect. I think there are at least two main types of respect. First, respect granted to a human being. Second, respect earned by individual behavior. I believe I do deserve the first regardless. However, I only deserve the second if I earn it by my conduct. I don’t have any heartache whatsoever if local people fail to give me respect that I have not yet earned. I do, however, have problems when many of them do not give the most basic form of respect owed to any human being.

Good first post.

Yeah, I hold a lot of respect for George Carlin… In the words of Bill S. Preston Esquire, “Listen to this dude Rufus, he knows what he’s talking about.”

And yeah, that avatar is from the last American election, so it’s a little dated, but quite poignant, especially with the latest stem cell research barriers in the states atm…

Really, I’m a pretty easy-going guy who gets along with most everyone… I’ve just been feeling like I’ve been running into more and more of these clowns lately… I know I should just ignore them, walk away, laugh at them, or whatever, but it’s tough sometimes…

[quote=“seeker4”]
As for the message, only one comment on the point about respect. I think there are at least two main types of respect. First, respect granted to a human being. Second, respect earned by individual behavior. I believe I do deserve the first regardless. However, I only deserve the second if I earn it by my conduct.[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote=“keepitgreen”]And yeah, that avatar is from the last American election, so it’s a little dated…[/quote]Life on the internet, where anything older than last Thursday is out of date. :unamused:

The source, I think, of much of the idiocy you cited: “everyday Calvinism.” (Now don’t go jumping up and down all you Calvinists, I’m using the term in a particular way, and if you want to know exactly what it is you can read Jon Elster or PM me.) Basically, people like to think that they deserve all the good things that they get in life, even if they’re only getting them because they’re a rarity and there are supply and demand issues. Don’t let them get to you. One day, they won’t be so rare any more, they’ll wonder where all the love went, and wiser people like yourself (and me, maybe Seeker4, but I’m not sure, he seems far to nice… none of you other tossers :wink: ) will enjoy a slightly mean-spirited-but-justified snicker.

Welcome to the funny farm.

Ya, I completely agree… these guys think that the world owes them something; that they are deserved everything given them… And all without having given anything in return…

However, I’m a firm believer in karma, and I honestly believe that one day guys like this will be ousted from the island, survivor like… Hey, maybe not a bad idea… Start a tribal council and vote these pricks outta here… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not so nice. See: :fume: :taz: :fume:

Hey, keepitgreen, seeing as how we’re on the topic of avatars, is your online name and your avatar linked in any way? Just curious.

[quote=“seeker4”]
Hey, keepitgreen, seeing as how we’re on the topic of avatars, is your online name and your avatar linked in any way? Just curious.[/quote]

Very good question :smiley:

Thing is you see this everywhere you go. I see it in my country where respect by travellers (or lifers) towards people who live there, and in particular to the system, is non-existant. Of course, the majority of travellers are absolutely fine, but some

What makes you think this is particular to Taiwan? Travellers, particularly from parts of Asia and the orient sometimes behave in a different, but no less desireable way in the countries which they are visiting.

There are two sides to every coin.

I find the attitudes that you mentioned in your first post to be rather common no matter where one travels to… including one’s home country…

Whilst living in Taiwan (5.5 years) In saw a lot of abhorent attitudes from both sides of the fence. Now that I am back in New Zealand I have witnessed a lot of attitudes from locals that make me ashamed to be one of them…

You’ll never beat those sorts of people so my motto was just to not associate myself with them… Of course that is somewhat more difficult in Taiwan, given that we are members of a minority that in some cases is painted with the same broad brush…

But in turn, a majority of locals in NZ paint immigrants to this country in the same manner… In the upcoming election here we have just had some politicians saying that muslims here represent a terrorist threat… Terrorists!!! I mean this is New Zealand for crying out loud… Terrorist sheep maybe, but Al Qaida cells in the house down the street… me thinks not…

Cheers!

Daryl