Rapper Wee Meng Chee's (Namawee) latest song. What a waste of a good idea!

I’m a G-rated person though I do have a great appreciation for double entendres or hidden adult jokes in much classic children’s cartoons and literature.
I’m not too much concerned with insulting a certain religion but did they really have to do that sexually suggestive dance. Suggestive? I like suggestive. This is worse than suggestive.
Teaching and learning about how people who speak different languages perceive sounds of animals and other objects is fun and fascinating. Didn’t he even think that the song of this nature has instant appeal to children. Why did he cut himself off. I could say that about a lot of artists but this guy has talent and threw a good thing away.
I love his Japanglish song. Stupid. I can’t even strip the video and use his song because the kids will show their parents. Stupid Guy! Sorry.

He’s not exactly known for kid-friendly songs/videos. I don’t think that’s his target demographic. He has a song called Geebai People!

NSFW? Namawee is one of my favorite Chinese artists. He does get carried away sometimes as in the dog video with some suggestive moves. I don’t see anything anti-Islam, but some people complained the building is a mosque, which it isn’t. It’s a government building.

I don’t support everything he does, but he does try to fight the system in Malaysia that he perceives as overly Malay and Muslim and not enough freedom of expression. He’s also an astute businessman. He’s been in jail before for similar reasons. He knows how to attract attention.

He has some great videos and does duets with many famous Chinese artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZ0kha2RrQ

Besides the dance, I think it’s a pretty good song. Do you think it would be safe stripping the video from the song and using it in class?
I live in rural southern Taiwan. you’d expect the parents to have some conservative beliefs. But I can’t figure out Chinese sensibilities when it comes to that…
I once got into trouble showing the I’m too sexy for my shirt to High School Students, yet they accept Saturday night hosts walking funny symbolizing, well, you know what, when a hot looking Russian Trapeze artist left the stage.
https://youtu.be/TxE_ycd1hoI
In general, if it is lightly sexy… why not? But in this song, the dance could have been so much different and more inclusive. There was no need in the storytelling process.
I do love this one though…
It is so true… All those words are in the Katakana dictionary, and are legitimate Japanese. or at least the official pronunciation of loan words.
We need some good learning Chinese parody songs btw… you 2 be, sky- pee, goo goo.
https://youtu.be/cTSBqT4Jt2o

Here’s one less offensive with Joyce Chu from Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK1MaJ6xX-s

Anyone?

The video you linked above was Hao Xiang Ni. Actually, this version sounds ok. The original Hao Xiang Ni drove my family crazy. I love crazy songs that border on annoying but it will hypnotize you or make you want to throw your book bag through a car window.

Tango42. I guess stripping the song would be great for class and I intended to do it. But, on second thought, the kids would come home humming this dog song. It is infectious. Then they would bring it up to their parents who would immediately go on youtube to lookup the song. And in this case the first thing the parents would see are two dogs going at it, doggie style. We see enough of that on the road.
I was going to provide a Spotify link but Spotify Free only works on the PC and not on mobile phones. So, it’s back to Youtube again.
I think the song you are sharing with me is the next one on the play like. I’ll check it out. You said “Less offensive”. I was hoping for non offensive. Cute miniskirted Japanese school girls over 18 are not offensive in my book :slight_smile:
It really is too bad he chose that dance. I’m liking almost everything that guy does. He has a great voice and almost everything is well thought out. It’s his judgement I’m not happy with.

With the dog song, it only takes one parent to be upset.

This Hao Xiang Ni is mostly unoffensive.

I honestly kind of like the Hao Xiang Ni original much better. I don’t see any content worth teaching in the song though :frowning: , that is unless I’m missing something. The dog song at least taught how speakers of different languages perceive sounds.
Maybe I can do something with his Jap English song. And talk about how chinese speakers hear or try to read English words like youtube or skype.
There is a funny group who did a cute song about learning English.