Rare Ice Cream Finds

It was one of their “pop up” surprise showings that they do in random countries. They have done this in Singapore, Philippines and even the U.K. They do it to test the water and to get their brand name out there. I believe they have a firm base here. Many US west coast Asians are Taiwanese and have ties to the island. They know In N Out, and it is loved. If they ever did open up in Taiwan, it would be wildly successful. Hell, look at friggen Kripsy Crap…er Kreme. They are still here! I thought for sure they would only last a year.

1 Like

It was horrible…just horrible news to hear that DQ closed all its locations in Taipei (Taiwan?).

Despite the price tag, the DQ up in Tian Mu was a great excuse to take the scoots up and walk around Tian Mu Square flea market for an afternoon while indulging in some DQ Blizzard action.

Now…there’s just nothing to fill the void. Mcdonald’s McFlurry just doesn’t do the Blizard justice.

1 Like

You know we have several taco joints in town, right? The real stuff. Por favor?

Sometimes the fake stuff really hits the spot. I mean, tacos with Doritos shells? C’mon…

2 Likes

We visited a cafe in Tianmu this weekend after the American School Spring fair and they have some really nice ice creams -and pastries and coffee and well, you get the picture. They also serve some frappes and milk shakes that hit the spot.

It is in Tianmu North road, across from 3C, so it must be number 27 or 20 something.

My dearest ancestors are spinning in their graves… even the Cantonese ones.

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mexican Food in Taipei

Auntie Peng, I like how you remember the address instead of the actual name of the establishment.

This the spot?

1 Like

Yep, that’s it.

So is there a 5 Guys in Taipei? They do good soft serve, and their fries are the best I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Best soft serve is Wendy’s, hands down. Not sure if you can call Wendy’s frosty a soft serve though. But it is GOOOOOOOOD!
I was never really impressed with 5 Guys. They are good, but not great. No, they are not in Taiwan.

1 Like

Krispy Kremes are different here because they are always cold here. I remember them hot and straight out of the icing river.

But when you bite into them it is like biting into cotton candy, just pure sugar. No thanks.
The only donut they have that I kind of enjoy, sort of kind of, is their old fashioned glazed.

I miss apple fritters!

I don’t eat sugar like that anymore. But wow! Maybe one in awhile it wouldn’t kill me.

You can try giving Burger & Co a visit.

Their fries aren’t as good as Five Guys, but do follow in the same footsteps as Five Guys. I believe they (Burger & Co) has milkshakes too. I’ve never tried them, so I can’t comment on them.

2 Likes

Just found this good Japanese style ice cream store in Yilan. They’ve got fresh fruit ice creams and fruit popsicles, with and without dairy, in addition to “typical” flavors. Texture and flavor were very good. They’re doing a promotion for a little while longer where you get a free scoop if you write a review for them on FB or Google Maps. It’s about a 3 minute walk from Luodong Train station.

This will come in handy driving around on a hot day.

+1 Endorse this topic.

Ben & Jerry’s currently $189 (off from $299?) at Wellcome. Availability will I assume vary by the branch.

Mellitus in a punnet.