Rarely seen animals in Taiwan

The pink-feathered Uruh-Uruh … never seen it in the wild.

No,seriously now …

Any idea what it is?

2 Likes

Probably the Formosan ferret that has been linked to rabies.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]The pink-feathered Uruh-Uruh … never seen it in the wild.

No,seriously now …

Any idea what it is?[/quote]

That’s a ferret badger (鼬獾)…any idea how it died?

Here’s a Flying Squirrel (Petaurista alborufus) I came across back in March…

2 Likes

[quote=“onionsack”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]The pink-feathered Uruh-Uruh … never seen it in the wild.

No,seriously now …

Any idea what it is?[/quote]

That’s a ferret badger (鼬獾)…any idea how it died?[/quote]

No, one day it was just dead next to the road where I walk every morning, next day it was gone. Only touched it with a branch to turn it over and make the pic.

I would be slightly wary of wild animals acting strangely/erratically in your area. It’s suspicious that it’s dead w/o any signs of why. Probably nothing but rabies is an awful disease.

[quote=“onionsack”]Here’s a Flying Squirrel (Petaurista alborufus) I came across back in March…
[/quote]

where on this island can you just find a flying squirrel on the side of the road?

I saw a laowai the other day though it was on the TV in 7-11.

Too common.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“onionsack”]Here’s a Flying Squirrel (Petaurista alborufus) I came across back in March…
[/quote]

where on this island can you just find a flying squirrel on the side of the road?[/quote]

This episode took place on the 北橫 (#7 Northern Cross-Island Road) between Baling and Fuxing. The white-faced flying squirrels are much less common than the Indian Giant Flying Squirrel (Petaurista philippensis) and this was only my second encounter at a relatively close distance. Here was the other:

Gotta be extremely lucky to catch even a fleeting glimpse of one, and their numbers are getting smaller every year due to poaching and habitat loss.

2 Likes

Taiwan blue magpie (Urocissa caerulea), surprisingly often seen in an empty stadium near Taipei Arena during local football matches, and adopted as a mascot for the national team.

2 Likes

a magnificent bird, and a magnificent photo too.

Saw a bunch of them hopping around trees at Wulai a while back. Awesome to see. :thumbsup:

[quote=“onionsack”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“onionsack”]Here’s a Flying Squirrel (Petaurista alborufus) I came across back in March…
[/quote]

where on this island can you just find a flying squirrel on the side of the road?[/quote]

This episode took place on the 北橫 (#7 Northern Cross-Island Road) between Baling and Fuxing. The white-faced flying squirrels are much less common than the Indian Giant Flying Squirrel (Petaurista philippensis) and this was only my second encounter at a relatively close distance. Here was the other:

Gotta be extremely lucky to catch even a fleeting glimpse of one, and their numbers are getting smaller every year due to poaching and habitat loss.[/quote]
I saw a “giant red flying squirrel”, with white face too. It couldn’t imagine then that it was a squirrel. It look more like a tiny monkey…

I went on a night hike ‘eco tour’ a few years ago in Chiayi. Saw some of these little fellas climbing around in the trees. They usually live in holes in those tall native deciduous rainforest like trees you sometimes see growing on mountain and hillsides …deforestation doesn’t do them any good.

apparently you can see Yellow-throated marten regularly on Jade mountain’s north peak now.

1 Like

Holy crap!!
I just saw a (I think) Masked Palm Civet in my back alley!

Huge, man, nearly the size of a black dog, and super fat.
Fast as fuck though, he went from the ground to the top of the building across the way like he was on a string. Fuckin climbed the pipes like a fuckin monkey.
Yelled for the girls to come out and see or no one would have believed me.

Fuck, my heart’s still pounding.

7 Likes

Hitting the :tumbler_glass: early today :wink:

1 Like

Come to think of it, there might only be one raccoon on this whole island…

Hmmm delicious. Awesome in huo guo.