Rate for a Chinese tutor: 1 on 1

Just trying to get a feel for how much a Chinese Tutor would charge or how much I should expect to pay:

My situation:

• Intermediate Chinese
  • Will provide my own books and materials
  • Require correction on speaking
  • Based in Kaohsiung
  • Classes will be conversation focused with the tutor correcting me.
  • At a location of our choice: not keen for paying classroom/institution overheads

How much should I expect to pay hourly for a

1. Experienced tutor
  2. Unexperienced tutor

Thanks,

What about that guy you met on the MRT? He had good English.

I’d pay 350TWD, but I expect rates could vary between 150 TWD and 600TWD…

I would put an ad up and see who responded.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]Just trying to get a feel for how much a Chinese Tutor would charge or how much I should expect to pay:

My situation:

• Intermediate Chinese
  • Based in Kaohsiung
  • At a location of our choice: not keen for paying classroom/institution overheads

1. Experienced tutor
  2. Unexperienced tutor

Thanks,[/quote]

Get yourself down to Wenzao and find a student from the department of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language. Quality isn’t guaranteed as they will still be going through their training, but rates can be good. I had a tutor from there for about NT$200 per hour.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]
Get yourself down to Wenzao and find a student from the department of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language. Quality isn’t guaranteed as they will still be going through their training, but rates can be good. I had a tutor from there for about NT$200 per hour.[/quote]

As for “quality”, I would really only worry about whether the person can write Pinyin (or Bopomofo, if you’re using that) correctly and consistently. (This is doubly true for people teaching Taiwanese…I’ve had language center teachers who didn’t know how to Romanize consistently). The rest of what they learn in methods…well…

Thanks!

My biggest issues I’ve had with LE’s and teachers is that they don’t correct me. They just let the Chinese roll out of my mouth and accept it for what it is.

Just being too polite and not stopping conversation to correct. It’s a classic rookie teacher’s error not knowing when and when not to correct. I’ve been down that road too with my students when I started off.

Shoddy TW pronounciation by untrained teachers does sometimes confuse you between “sh” and “x” or “zhi” and “q” or “ch” sounds.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”][quote=“cyberguppy”]Just trying to get a feel for how much a Chinese Tutor would charge or how much I should expect to pay:

My situation:

• Intermediate Chinese
  • Based in Kaohsiung

1. Experienced tutor
  2. Unexperienced tutor

Thanks,[/quote]

Get yourself down to Wenzao and find a student from the department of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language. Quality isn’t guaranteed as they will still be going through their training, but rates can be good. I had a tutor from there for about NT$200 per hour.[/quote]

Good idea! Thanks

[quote=“cyberguppy”][quote=“Milkybar_Kid”][quote=“cyberguppy”]Just trying to get a feel for how much a Chinese Tutor would charge or how much I should expect to pay:

My situation:

• Intermediate Chinese
  • Based in Kaohsiung

1. Experienced tutor
  2. Unexperienced tutor

Thanks,[/quote]

Good idea! Thanks[/quote]

If you are looking for the tutor, pm me :popcorn: