Rats, Mice and Cats

[quote=“urodacus”]Rats don’t stink anywhere near as much as mice. Mice excrete pungent pheromones in their urine that are used for social communication and territorial marking. And adult rats are at least ten times bigger than mice (any species). Even rat pups are bigger than full grown mice, so it’s not really bad information.

Carry on.[/quote]
Actually the thread is pretty much over so really no need to carry on but here is a link to educate you urodacus on rats and mice.
Read carefully and in context. Read what I said in my post and I am exactly correct. Now the thread is over for me and I hope she clears her home’s rat infestation.
http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatsMice.htm

What a great web site! funnily enough, it says exactly what I said: adult rats (Rattus norvegicus, the rat you encounter in Taiwan back streets) are ten times larger than adult mice (Mus musculus), and even rat pups (weaned pup, the smallest size you’ll see on the street) are a wee bit larger than most adult mice.

It dos say that rats have smell marking their territory, and other smells that they use to communicate. What it does not go on to say, but which is a true fact nonetheless, is that mouse urine absolutely reeks. Far far worse than rat piss.

I should know, I’ve been on very close terms with lots of rats and mice. And guinea pigs.

[quote=“urodacus”]What a great web site! funnily enough, it says exactly what I said: adult rats (Rattus norvegicus, the rat you encounter in Taiwan back streets) are ten times larger than adult mice

I should know, I’ve been on very close terms with lots of rats and mice. And guinea pigs.[/quote]
No it does not say that. Learn to read in context. It says "[i]Adult mice are much smaller than adult rats (Fig. 1). Adult mice weigh about 30 grams, and fancy mice tip the scales at about 50 grams. Adult mice have bodies that are 3-4 inches long with 3-4 inch tails.

Adult rats are far heavier and longer: they
can
weigh ten times as much, averaging 350-450 grams for females and 450-650 for males (with an overall range of 200-800 grams). They have 9-11 inch long bodies and 7-9 inch tails (ref[/i])."

It goes onto say "[i]Young, weaned rats are still larger than adult mice, weighing around 100 grams at six weeks. However, to the casual observer, very young rats and adult mice can be difficult to tell apart.

Here’s what to look for: baby rats will have more juvenile proportions than adult rodents. Their heads and feet will be large relative to their bodies, their faces will be stubby and blunt with wide noses. Adult mice, on the other hand, will have adult proportions: a small, triangular head with a small nose and little delicate feet as compared to the body. In addition, mouse ears are very large relative to their heads, rat ears are smaller relative to their heads. Rats also have thicker tails than mice.[/i]"

That is a far better way to tell the difference to the casual observer as set out in the article than “rats are ten times bigger and mouse piss stinks”.

Anyway you have a bee in your bonnet over this for whatever reason so you ripped it out of context from living in Taiwan and moved it here while keeping the original thread in context :roflmao: (for now). Good luck with your rat breeding. Personally I don’t like rats either the rodent or human kind!

"

Why, thank you, Sir!

To me, a 300 gram rat is ten times bigger than a 30 gram mouse. What’s it to you?

[quote=“urodacus”]Why, thank you, Sir!

To me, a 300 gram rat is ten times bigger than a 30 gram mouse. What’s it to you?[/quote]
Totally out of context again and again. I said in the original thread on living in Taiwan it depends on the maturity of the rat or mouse. Two fully grown mice and rats then yes of course rats can be ten times larger. I pointed out that your way is a bad way and pretty much useless way to decide if you have a mouse or rat infestation to the causal observer or pest controller, as is made clear in the article and nearly every other source. :roflmao: At least you now know that rats also have pheremones in their piss. In fact the article says the difinition of rats :thumbsup: Anyway enough said if causal observers wish to know the difference it is in the article with pictures. Perhaps when keep a few then mice stink more than rats; however rat or mice infestations both stink badly. got to a farm or factory and find out. That’s all I have to say.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“urodacus”]Why, thank you, Sir!

To me, a 300 gram rat is ten times bigger than a 30 gram mouse. What’s it to you?[/quote]
Totally out of context again and again. I said in the original thread on living in Taiwan it depends on the maturity of the rat or mouse. Two fully grown mice and rats then yes of course rats can be ten times larger. I pointed out that your way is a bad way and pretty much useless way to decide if you have a mouse or rat infestation to the causal observer or pest controller, as is made clear in the article and nearly every other source. :roflmao: At least you now know that rats also have pheremones in their piss. In fact the article says the difinition of rats :thumbsup: Anyway enough said if causal observers wish to know the difference it is in the article with pictures. That’s all I have to say.[/quote]
As a casual observer, I think I’ll stick with the biologist with the doctoral degree and the years and years of lab work with rodents. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onA0pkdkdKM
For your perusal.