RBG Passed away

They’re back to hating minorities, eh?

The problem with the powerful is they have all the power.

I think this whole liberal-conservative dichotomy in the justice system is a load of crap. Justices should be as impartial as possible, yet both parties have hijacked the process. An independent judiciary is a cornerstone of a true democracy. If appointing justices is all about ‘they’ll do the things my party wants’ then it is to me, not independent.

Wondering what you think of the Dredd Scott decision.

2 Likes

For all the talk of conservative judges, the ideologies behind the picks (textualism and originalism) are the underpinnings of basic legal principles and don’t necessarily lead to GOP desired outcomes. On the other hand, the living, breathing document analysis allows justices to get where they want to go much more often. There’s a reason that the “liberal” vote in a block much more than the “conservative” justices. It’s the same reason that “liberal” justices are much more predictably conforming to Democratic desired outcomes. It’s also important to remember that the political platforms of the parties changes over time. Constitutional theory of interpretation rarely does.

3 Likes

I’m not certain it’s do what my party wants as much as it is do your job to remain the third branch of government. The SCOTUS has barked at both Congress and Executive branches in recent years for doing a poor or lazy job, forcing them to do “nothing” or legislated by proxy…the ACA for example, which was ruled a tax yet not turned over.

Hmm, funny I mention the ACA…something is coming up about it very very soon.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/10/26/sen_markey_originalism_is_racist_originalism_is_sexist_originalism_is_homophobic.html

It’s fun when people try and define how other people think and then assume they actually think like that. Ah, post modernist neo Marxism, you thrill me.

2 Likes