RBG Passed away

My point precisely :slight_smile:

There may well have been some stupid white male landowners. But you generally don’t retain land, and make profit from it, if you’re incorrigibly dumb.

My guess is that they were focused mostly on the possibility of vested interests entrenching their power, which would have been a huge risk under contemporary circumstances. It was actually an incredible achievement that the US kept that sort of thing to a level that permitted ongoing development.

Ah, mine was that they made the bar to governmental control fairly high and very much dependent on generational financial/Capitalistic success and literacy. They boxed the known idiots out.

1 Like

Who controlled the Senate then?

I am extremely happy the Supreme Court will be protected for quite some time now.

The adults.

1 Like

The adults

2 Likes

So you support an oligarchy and oppose middle-class and poor people, non-whites, and women having the ballot?You believe voting should be restricted to wealthy white males, just like the Founders intended? You think non-wealthy people, women, blacks, browns etc, are idiots? Your beliefs are… interesting.

3 Likes

Inhofe is such a smug, ignorant bastard who is a perfect example of why term limits are needed. He toured my former company’s office back in 2019. A coworker and I actually bought sno-balls (a cake that looks like a snowball) in anticipation of his visit, but sadly we did not have the guts to ask for him to sign them. Perhaps they would have been worth a lot of money.

Wow, you’re a real piece of work.

A post was split to a new topic: From RBG Passed away

Of course. Interpreting the law is no less subjective than applying or enforcing it. It’s inherently political.

I find your inferences even more interesting. Identity politics much?

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

Her early work was really astounding. I agreed with RGB on very little in her late career, but she was undeniably brilliant and her influence on the legal landscape is felt everywhere. Rest in peace, RGB.

4 Likes

Aren’t the people who said you could nominate someone even if you’re a lame duck president (slightly different situation) but now oppose a nomination also hypocrites?

I was against holding out against Garland, but then again I also think that the Senate should confirm anyone the President nominates who is qualified for the position, which was the rule until Bork got Borked (and the GOP kept up with the rule for a little while longer).

1 Like

This is truly the worst news I’ve read in a very long time, and the year is 2020…

RBG wasn’t just a “liberal” justice badass. She is essentially solely responsible for pushing for equal rights for both women AND men in the US for the past few decades. She fought for equality for all in the actual sense of the word, which is something that most politicians and Supreme Court justices can’t grasp the concept of. All while repeatedly battling cancers and being in better physical shape than me. The things she went through to reach her status are beyond remarkable.

I’ve been saying for the past four years that her passing will mark the end of the great experiment that is American Democracy. Seeing how the republicans have responded to this news has only confirmed that.

On the other hand, according to Jewish tradition, a person who dies on Rosh Hashanah is a tzaddik, a person of great righteousness. But we already knew RBG was not an average person.

7 Likes

Bad news for unelected public officials treating the Constitution like a blank check payable to their personal belief systems. Good news for a Constitution to be amended the Constitutional way by elected representatives of the people following the amendment process.

1 Like

Firstly, may she Rest In Peace.

Secondly - regarding the politics that Democrats are freaking out about — it really comes down to the Democrat Party not having any strategy and then crying when things don’t go their way.

For example, RBG could have strategically retired during Obama admin and the Democrats wouldn’t be in this situation right now. Simple!

Instead the Democrats now think Trump will have “unchecked authority” and rule like a dictator and it will be the end of democracy and America as we know it. Totally ridiculous :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Someone who understands.
Nice

RBG had always said that she would serve on the Supreme Court until the day she died. A woman of her word.

Two things about her retiring being “better” for the Dems:

1. Did you see any success in them appointing a new justice when there was already an open seat when Obama was still in office?
  2. (and more importantly): Did you miss the part about how the Supreme Court is supposed to be NEUTRAL and shouldn’t be marred by politics? Since when does a judge get to decide what’s legal based on POLITICS? Your job as a judge is to UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION, not play to your party, whichever party that may be.
1 Like