RC F-14 Jet of your very own!

Get your own Radio Controlled F-14 jet!

big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

watch the video

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Get your own Radio Controlled F-14 jet!

big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

watch the video[/quote]

check this one out: B52 stratofortress RC plane…take off and landing…listen the jets as they fire up during taxi…

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1348459/posts

COOL. How about this F16: rcarf.com/F-1603.wmv

During my last holiday I managed to go to the biggest model exhibition in Europe and it’s amazing to see the ideas, innovations and skill some people have. I spent nearly the whole day there, looking at the exhibits of electric trains and landscapes, stationary models and remote controlled ones of all kinds: ships, cars, trucks, military equipment, planes, sailing boats, helicopters, blimps, submarines - you name it, they got it.

Pretty amazing are the remote controlled planes as shown in the video that have miniature jet engines, as opposed to a propeller fitted in the nose or at the back as it was common a few years ago (and it looked really akward).

This guy builds remote controlled models of commercial airliners: michel-concorde.de
The Boing 747 pictured weighs 60kg and has a special permit from the German aviation agency. He is now building an A380 that is estimated to weigh 75kg!

BTW: To fly remote controlled model planes above 25kg weight you need a special pilot’s license in Germany.

Check this video out for the most versatile model I have ever seen.

[Parts in italic edited / corrected]

[quote=“Rascal”]Pretty amazing are the remote controlled planes as shown in the video that have miniature jet engines, as opposed to a propeller fitted in the nose or at the back as it was common a few years ago (and it looked really akward).
[/quote]Right. My Dad took us to air shows and model air shows when we were kids but I don’t remember seeing any real jet engine models at that time. The model in the video that TC posted had pretty much everything – accurate looks and jet engines that even sound pretty realistic (I assume that’s the authentic noise of the model on the soundtrack).

[quote=“Rascal”]BTW: To fly remote controlled model planes above 20kg weight you need a real pilot’s license in Germany.[/quote]Makes sense. The models in these videos are FAST and surely could do a fair bit of damage in unskilled hands. I was wondering how easy it is to fly one of those things using sight from the ground only. I wonder if installing a mini video transmitter in the model might make it easier (certainly make for some cool home videos!)

Woohoo! Thanks for the links. That’s one of the most entertaining lunchtimes I’ve had here.

That last link by Rascal is just superb, by the way. What a machine.

I’d start saving up my money right now, but I’d break something like the planes in the vids in less than 10 seconds.

I had an RC blimp in the UK for a while. I used to have pleasure flights around the coffee table and I had a scheduled service from living room to the kitchen on weekdays with a short stop via the piano.

Seriously though, loads of fun.

I wonder if the F14 model has swing wings.

I can’t believe the size of the 747.

Whooooaaaaa…great links…Thanks Guys.

DM -
Blimps have a certain stately presence.
I was lucky enough to have flown in a Goodyear blimp once and in a FUJI blimp once over San Francisco.
Nothing I did, friends in the right places.

Can you find these bad boys here?
traxxas.com/index.htm

So fun. and easy to park.

You do realise that you have just given me the right to call you a any expletive I please, don’t you?

Friends in high places, eh?

Lucky %&83$#+!@!

Some update about Peter Michel (63), the guy I mentioned above which builds those huge models. He has finished the A380 and here is the video of the maiden flight: Airbus A380 Modellflugzeug (German only, sorry)

The video shows the approval test including a wing stress test, using sand bags, before flight permission is granted.

Some keydata:

Hours to build: 3500
Price of one engine: EUR3000
Speed: 140km/h
Tank capacity: 10l
Total cost: serveral 10000 Euro

Pictures

It’s all fun and games until one blows up your apartment.