RCEP signed→Taiwan is hosed

It’s machine tools and petrochemical products that will get shafted.

Electronics and IT are already tariff-free by virtue of the WTO.

Agreed. Trump should do it on his way out. I know it won’t be enough time, just hoping haha

Israel is the Israel of Asia. Israel IS in Asia.

And isn’t it funy the stock market reached record high again today after being hosed? Lol.

2 Likes

You guys are part of the problem. Stop cozying up to China. :mask:

It’s called sleeping with the enemy.

Someone’s got to buy all our sheepskins…

2 Likes

Taiwan has a free trade agreement with New Zealand. Happened during the Ma years.

Maybe this will take Taiwanese people up and drop fussing over ractopamine.

Well, some of the media attributes it to vaccine optimism with the expectation that Moderna will have a positive announcement soon, perhaps this week, as well.

That was never relevant to Taiwan.

I know, but increasing trade with China after the virus… I’ve lost a lot respect for these countries.

Even after all the punishment China has dished out to Australia…

We keep rewarding their bad behaviour.

1 Like

I would think it is as far as the world economy is concerned and especially the opening-up of Taiwan, and most other countries as well.

You think the WTO is a paper tiger too? There are way more parties involved.

Actually the Taiwan stock market seems down a decent amount this morning, looking at the MSCI Taiwan index.

Edited to add: The quote above is for the futures, but something called Taiwan Weighted (not futures is up quite a bit).

Not relevant that a vaccine might be available for their major trading partners and open up the world?

It’ll be like the TPP- helpful, but not a game-changer like the WTO. Or like APEC, which the Economist once described as “four adjectives in search of a noun”.

It should be obvious it was a serious question by someone oblivious to the rules. The shipping costs would be far more than any savings.

My mistake. It’s hard to read sarcasm in this site and that’s often the case.

Yes, China was doing that through Canada with steel. Trump shut them down so you’re not wrong.

It’s been tried before for sure. The deals have a certain percentage they needs to be produced in that country to be free from tariffs

So what are Taiwan’s machine tools and upstream petrochemical products going to do about the lower tariffs for competitors?

Something with the United States needs to happen or kiss that 4% project economic growth rate for 2021 goodbye.

The second comment was sarcasm.

This article touches on a lot of current economic pain points: RCEP, TWD strength, government support for upgrading of industries, etc.

2 Likes