Re-activating HHR / marriage registration / getting nationality for kids

I’m trying to better understand the process of getting Taiwanese nationality for my (future) kids.

I have dual ROC/US citizenship; I was born in the US. I have a 身分證 number on my ROC passport, though it has now been several years since I’ve been back to Taiwan. I think this means I had HHR at one point but it is now invalid. I don’t know if I ever had an ID card (or if I did, I’ve lost it).

I got married to an American in the US a few years ago. We’ll probably have kids in the next year or two, in the US, though we’d eventually like to relocate to Taiwan for a period of time when the kids are young.

• If I have a 身分證 number, does this mean I had HHR at one point?
  • What are the benefits of registering our marriage? What is that process like? Does that help with getting Taiwanese nationality for the kids?
  • If so, do I need to re-activate my HHR before I register our marriage? How do I do that?
  • Any other things that I’m not considering, that would be good to know?

I will be traveling to Taiwan tomorrow, and again for LNY, so it would be helpful to know if I should be entering Taiwan with my ROC passport (instead of my US passport). And if I do that, if there’s anything I need to do once I’m in the country.

Thanks in advance!

Enter with Taiwan passport.

Yes

Can help get your spouse a JFRV with extra work/stay benefits

5 Likes

Thank you @Marco for the speedy and helpful response!

If I enter Taiwan with my Taiwan passport (I haven’t done this in years), do you know if there’s anything specific that I have to do once I’m in the country? I remember as a kid we used to have to register with the household registration office, but I don’t think that’s still a thing.

As a non national, that’s the extent of my knowledge. I’d suggest also calling or paying a visit to your local TECO for official advice.

2 Likes

If you plan on registering your marriage in TW, I think the same local office handles household registration so you can just check with them about the registration and what to do first.