Re-count started

Are they counting everything now, including the original “invalids.” Or are they counting just the valid ones from 320.

All of them.

If they count all the ballots, we can’t lose. Chen will win by a huge margin. In our precinct there were 46 duds and more than 40 were clearly for Chen – stamped on the pciture instead of in the box.

Vorkosigan

Just because you didn’t stuff your ballot box properly with 40 bought tickets, doesn’t mean Chen is going to win. pro-Blue ballot stuffer are much better trained than that.

Chen’s coming down.

To be clear - they’re recounting all the votes, but they are NOT changing the rules for what a valid vote is (despite the best efforts of the KMT). So a vote with a stamp on the picture is still invalid.

I saw on the news around 7PM tonight they were talking about missing ballots in some of the districts, but stated it is still early and they would likely turn up mixed inadvertly with the referendum ballots. The missing ballots were votes for the Chen/Lu ticket…hmmm…

Obviously a stamp on Chen’s face is a vote for Lien. The voter was trying to cross out Chen’s face from the ballot. :wink:

ac, we get your point.

i’d love to put a stamp on lien zhan’s ugly mug…with my size 9 doc marten boots! :wink:

The group that campaigned for people to invalidate their ballot as a protest did, in fact, advocate stamping both candidates in the mouth to get them both to stfu :slight_smile:

What about the point AWOL raised on page one, about what happens in the Pan Blues win this one? Surely there will have to be another recount? And if there are ballots missing, then the recount can’t be declared valid, can it? If what Hobart said turns out to be true (green votes going missing) then there’s no way that the Blues could claim victory (of course, here I mean no legal or moral way, not in the way according to how their synapses appear to fire - “We lost?! More people voted for him, than me?! Democracy is dead!”)

Well, this is encouraging from the China Post today:

[quote]No major problems were found yesterday, but there were scattered reports of small numbers of missing votes or ballot bags that were improperly sealed.

Opposition Kuomintang (KMT) candidate Lien Chan has alleged the poll was marred by irregularities, though he has provided little evidence to support his allegation.[/quote]
This from a pro-Blue paper… you know it’s a good news day when you can read the headlines (and stories) on the China Post and could imagine them being the headlines of the Taipei Times:

• No major vote irregularities found
  • Legislature stalled by members attending ballot recounts
  • ‘Pan-blue’ to accept recount outcome if fair
  • Lien cancels march to Presidential Office on May 20

[quote=“david”]* No major vote irregularities found

• Legislature stalled by members attending ballot recounts
  • ‘Pan-blue’ to accept recount outcome if fair
  • Lien cancels march to Presidential Office on May 20[/quote]
    This is all really really great news! Sigh What a relief!

Ah, but the contents of the story re. accepting the outcome of the vote, aren’t so great:

[quote]
Although Lien and Soong said they would accept the outcome of the recount, they apparently did not mean that they would concede defeat.

Both Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng and Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou said the recount is only part of their legal efforts, and the truth of the election-eve shooting must be pursued despite the completion of the vote inspection.

“The vote recount is only a small part of the legal actions,” said Ma, a KMT vice chief.

“Recent opinion polls have indicated that over 50 percent of the people wish to find out the truth of the March 19 shooting, and think it necessary to form an independent commission to pursue the case,” he added.

Wang, another KMT vice chairman, said a variety of scenarios

The Taipei Times has stories about Ma and Wang saying the recount is only one ‘tactic’ and Lien accepting a ‘fair’ recount.

I like the use of the word ‘tactics’.

Other tactics:

Stealing third base
A medium-paced bouncer, looking for a catch on the boundary
The ‘Queen’s Gambit’ opening
Trying to bluff a Royal Flush when you hold nothing
Dummying on the blind side, creating overlap on the open side, running in try under the posts
Only one pit-stop

[black knight] Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to you. I’ll bite your legs off![/black knight]

[quote=“Kahna”]Ah, but the contents of the story re. accepting the outcome of the vote, aren’t so great:

So basically, “We’ll accept the outcome, but we won’t shut up,” right?[/quote]

They never have and never were going to cooperate with the DPP. So they are not going to let go of this thread of bullshit no matter what. Not to mention that their personal political futures depend on it. But bullshit can only walk so far. the writing is on the wall for them.

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2004/ … 05-ap.html

Oh oh voting irregularities are already popping up.

• one precinct in southern Pingtung handed out only 744 ballots but recorded a total of 954 votes

• Chops imprints that don’t match people’s names

• 6,000 ballots were being disputed. An additional 4,449 ballots were pulled Tuesday for the High Court’s inspection

Lien is already filing for a re-election already. I guess 3rd time’s a charm.

Oh, you mean the article that says this?

[quote]But court official Tang Kuang-yi told reporters that some votes for Chen and his running mate, Vice President Annette Lu, were mishandled.

“One team of judges found 50 ballots for Chen and Lu that were mistakenly put in a stack of ballots” for the rival candidate, Tang said.

Ruling party lawmaker Tsai Huang-lang warned the opposition against speculating about voting fraud, saying it could give supporters “false expectations” that the poll result could be overturned.[/quote]

Man, you really set yourself up for that.

Kahna,

Some say tom-ae-toe, Some say tom-a-toe.

Some say mistakes, Some say a-cold-calculating-attempt-at-killing-democracy-through-out-right-fraud.