Re: Gays in America

Here is an interesting article from the 10/10/2005 issue of Time magazine that talks about how life is for gay teenagers in America now … quite different than just a few years ago. Definitely an interesting read …

time.com/time/archive/previe … 56,00.html

Even though I’m only 27 (although I feel about 40 :laughing: ), I don’t even remember this kind of tolerance back when I was in high school. It was obviously much different in college, but things seem to be changing very fast, which I think is a good sign.

The article is definitely a good read! :rainbow:

Kids still call each other “fags!” in the highschools of Taiwan, though.

Actually, I’ve found Taiwanese high schoolers to be much, much more tolerant of gays than when I was in high school in the States (back in the dark ages :laughing: ). Sure, a lot of joking goes on, but most of it is in jest, and I think the problem lies not with acceptance by one’s peers, but rather their families.

Kids in America often call other kids ‘fags’ without even thinking about what it means. Seems to me that they have a lot of other not-so-nice things to call the real queers.

Why would you call someone a cigarette?

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]Here is an interesting article from the 10/10/2005 issue of Time magazine that talks about how life is for gay teenagers in America now … quite different than just a few years ago. Definitely an interesting read …

time.com/time/archive/previe … 56,00.html

Even though I’m only 27 (although I feel about 40 :laughing: ), I don’t even remember this kind of tolerance back when I was in high school. It was obviously much different in college, but things seem to be changing very fast, which I think is a good sign.

The article is definitely a good read! :rainbow:[/quote]

I stubled on this show called “Queer eye for the straight guy” just recently. I’d agree LBT, things are changing at a fast pace. I can’t see a show like that being broadcasted 10 years ago. Although I am not gay, I do agree that the change is positive. Homosexuality has been around for ages, no point in denying or repressing it. Besides, it does have benefits demographically speaking. :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”] Besides, it does have benefits demographically speaking. :wink:
[/quote]

Yes. More Chinese (and Indians) should be encouraged to go gay for this very reason. 1.2 billion is more than enough for any peoples.