Re: Gilley's 'Finlandization' model - valid or off the mark?

Plans are already underway to issue US-authorized & approved ID cards to native Taiwanese persons. I started a thread about this on forumosa.com, however it was quickly taken over by the “peanut-gallery” types who specialize in satire and ridicule.
[Validity of US-issued ID cards for native Formosans

[/quote]

So how does this relate to my question? Does this mean you think Taiwan would be officially a US territory, with US supposedly issuing IDs to Taiwanese and all?

[quote]The issuance of these cards would be the first step in providing internationally recognized ID documentation, issued by a sovereign government, for the Taiwanese people.
[/quote]

You know. I’m pretty sure Taiwanese people are perfectly happy with their ROC passport. It is, afterall, a better passport to travel with than a PRC passport. Kind of ironic that while ROC is not recognized, its passport holders have substantially more favorable visa regimes from many more countries than someone with a PRC passport.

But this US issued ID card. I’m just not sure who’s going to recognize it or even what the hell it’s used for.