Real baked macaroni and cheese in restaurants?

So help me, I’m craving macaroni and cheese (not the Kraft box stuff, mind you, from scratch with real cheese). Do any of the western-style restaurants in Taipei serve it?

I had some pasta gratin somewhere, but it had shrimp in it. (I’m allergic. )

I’m desperate

TU Cafe, near NTU, used to have it, but they took it off the menu. I complained, but to no effect. So, they don’t get my Sunday afternoon business anymore. The M&C was my favorite. The only other choice I know of is to do it yourself. You can get the Kraft stuff at Costco and I think you can buy the macaroni pasta at one of the grocery stores in Tien Mu that caters to foreigners.

Grandma Nitti’s
G’day Cafe

I went to G’Day Cafe yesterday for dinner. The “macaroni and cheese” was elbow macaroni in a white cheese sauce with ground beef–kind of like Hamburger Helper and a lot like something my mom would have made me when I was 5. ;p It was okay–not what I was looking for, though.

The nachos at G’Day are weird.

Maybe I’ll wind up trying Grandma Nitti’s yet.

United Mix do macaroni and cheese. Very good.

uh…what’s wrong with the m&c from the box? Pretty hard to beat.

I love mac & cheese from a box, actually. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods when I’m sick (as I am now, darnit). But the shared kitchen in my apartment probably couldn’t handle anything even that simple. -_-;

The thing I like about M&C in a box is that you can add whatever you like: hotdog bits, bacon, chillis, etc. And you can eat the whole thing yourself and feel bloated after!
Oh yeah, it’s pretty cheap. For me, going to a restaurant and ordering M&C would be like going to a restaurant and ordering corn flakes.

Yes and no. If you ever have the macaroni and cheese at Red Tractor in Berkeley, CA, USA, I think you’ll change your mind. G It’s a different dish than the stuff made with the yellow powder, but equally wonderful…and some of the cheese bubbles up and browns…yes, that’s one of the first restaurants I’m going to when I get back. ^o^ The first will be the Mexican Sunday brunch buffet, though. (where’s the ‘drooling’ graemlin?)

You can brown the boxed stuff in a toaster oven…

Baked fruity macaroni cheese - contains pineapple, apple etc. OK for lacto-vegetarians.

Get it at Nook Cafe Theatre
No. 12, Sec. 3, Chengde Rd., Datong District, Taibei (across the junction from Minquan MRT.)

you can pickup the pasta at any store,get some cheese and melt it pore onto pasta then throw it into a toaster oven. just might work.give me some M&C.

quote:
Originally posted by Juba: Baked fruity macaroni cheese - contains pineapple, apple etc. OK for lacto-vegetarians.

SACRILIGE! You’ll be spreading caviar on your toasted marshmallows next!

smoorskis…

Baked Macaroni and Cheese
From The African-American Heritage Cookbook

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1 cup light cream
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheese
salt
Preheat oven to 350

If I had a medium saucepan or a toaster oven that would handle a 1-quart casserole, I’d think about it. ;p I guess I will just wait till I get back to the states. And next time I come to Taiwan, I’m getting a place with my own kitchen.

quote[quote] Preheat oven to 350

Yeah. I used to live with a proper sized range/oven that my old flatmate bought from Mickey of Mykanos fame. But then Max sold it to Jimbo when she left Taiwan, and now he’s moved out to Senkeng (tofu capital)…
It has seen many a roast turkey, birthday cake, cookie, and shepherd’s pie, that oven.

bump