Real Ghost Month Stories

Has anything weird happened to you in Ghost Month? This year two strange things have happened to me…

1. Finished teaching bushiban on the fifth floor at 7pm. No kids anywhere except the first floor because Anxinban finishes at 4:30pm during Summer Vacation. So I cleaned the classroom, put out the lights and locked the doors. Couldn’t be bothered to take the stairs so I wait for the elevator. As it approaches I hear kids voices speaking Chinese in the elevator. As mentioned, they should all be on the first floor, not buggering around in the elevator. Getting ready to give them an earful the elevator opens and…no one. :noway:
    I shit you not. I decided to take the stairs, and sure enough, no kids anywhere except the first floor.

2. The light in my study went on the blink a few months ago and I’ve just not gotten around to changing the damn thing. Last night I flicked the switch (more out of habit than anything else) and voila!! The light came on. “Ah, that’s nice!” I thought, thinking the missus must have changed it for me. When she came home I asked her when she’d changed the light in my study, to which she replied that she hadn’t… :astonished:

3. Maybe not spooky, but just bad luck. Before the wife came home last night I asked her to buy some milk on her way home. She stopped at the usual place and whilst walking to the store from her car, holding my son in one arm and her handbag over the other shoulder, some asshole on a scooter speeds past and snatched her handbag. First time I’ve (personally or through a close friend or loved one) ever experienced any sort of crime in Taiwan, other than a few weeks ago when I posted about the friend of mine who had money stolen out of her closet.
    The poor woman was really shaken. Hope the bastard gets a pain in his ass that never goes away.

Anyone else with spooky Ghost month stories?

I cut my leg open yesterday. 11 stitches. Fucking ghosts.

People often think they see things when there is low frequency sound, around 18Hz. That’s one of many scientific explanations, so there aren’t any “real ghost” stories.

Blood has strange trajectory.
If one has never noticed…

Ugh, check that logic again. There’s lots of things that mess with people’s perception, but that doesn’t discount all other possible explanations, just makes them less likely.

My logic is fine, there are thousands of stories, many of those can be explained as un-supernatural, often simple pareidolia. But not a single piece of undeniable proof, not even a theory. That makes it rather more than “less likely”, it makes the chances so infinitesimal to be negligible. Unless you can prove different?

I thought i saw a ghost, yet it is just the never should be wasting of the dawn.
ribbons of indigo at 5:40 on a rather indifferent kingston morning.
Its good to see it arrive.
Another rough night for poor ginger…

[quote=“bismarck”] Finished teaching buxiban on the fifth floor at 7pm. No kids anywhere except the first floor because Anxinban finishes at 4:30pm during Summer Vacation. So I cleaned the classroom, put out the lights and locked the doors. Couldn’t be bothered to take the stairs so I wait for the elevator. As it approaches I hear kids voices speaking Chinese in the elevator. As mentioned, they should all be on the first floor, not buggering around in the elevator. Getting ready to give them an earful the elevator opens and…no one. :noway:
I shit you not. I decided to take the stairs, and sure enough, no kids anywhere except the first floor.[/quote]
Is there a mirror in the elevator? You should’ve checked whether there was anyone/thing reflecting off it. :wink: Ask around to see if people have died there. I’ve heard stories of haunted places where people have died of tragic deaths and their spirits just linger around.

Two years ago I had recurring nightmares about getting run over by a gravel truck. Word got back to the wife’s family and got everyone very freaked out. Someone sent my sister inlaw over to the house to burn some incense sticks and a small patch of money at the front door to dirve away the ghost that was causing my nightmares. I don’t beleive any of it of course, but it’s a nice little piece of cultural anthropology, don’t you think?

Then maybe the 18Hz noise is what allows us to perceive ghosts. (Don’t psychics talk about “vibrations”?)

I swear I saw a grimacing flaming skull floating four feet above the floor telling me to buy all the Snickers ice-cream bars in Banchiao and give them to the guys who live in the park in exchange for dating advice, but it was probably just a smoke inhalation problem from all the fucking incense and ghost money that has been burning in my neighborhood.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Then maybe the 18Hz noise is what allows us to perceive ghosts. (Don’t psychics talk about “vibrations”?)[/quote]Erm… no. You’re confusing scientists who try to work out all the facts and do studies, er… scientifically with superstitious halfwits who make up anything because they don’t understand something. I believe 18Hz is the resonant frequency of the eyeball, so it makes you see things that aren’t there.

EDIT: guardian.co.uk/science/2003/ … nce.farout
NASA agrees with him.

Courtesy of xkcd.

I’m sensing a lot of skeptical vibrations here. But actually, science is just now catching up to a lot of the Eastern philosophies which were published way back in the 1970’s (like Fritjof Capra and Gary Zukov). It all depends on what worldview you have. You just have to let go of your Western, left-brained (or is it right-brained? always get those two confused) inhibitions. Otherwise, it’s no wonder you can’t open your mind to the point where you can perceive higher realities.

Take energy. Now scientists are stuck in kind of a rut, because they don’t know how to integrate the four kinds of energy (electicity, magnetism, nuclear, and solar). But if they’d just practice meditation for awhile, they’d see the Grand Unified Field theory (even if they couldn’t necessarily express it into words) with the Third Eye. Because some forms of energy can’t be described–like the kundalini energy that goes up and down the chakras. We’ve all felt tingling in our spines. What’s it made of–electricity? Science can’t explain it, because it exists at a different level of vibration. And how could Jesus walk on water? Through energy. Only not any form of energy we know, but something more like the crackling energy balls that Jack Kirby used to drawn in the Fantastic Four. He called it the Negative Zone, but it’s really…the Positive Zone! Because we create our own reality using this energy.

Vibrations are easy to explain. It’s like an electric fan, which exists in its own reality but is invisible to ours, because it is whirling around so fast. Ghosts must be like that. Death is not the end, it’s just that Jesus flips the switch that sends our souls whirling into invisibility–but our loved ones can still feel the breeze. And just as a yogi can learn to stop a whirling fan with his tongue, so can we use science to stop ghosts from…sorry, I lost my train of thought there for a second. Anyway, do you think it was an accident that “Good Vibrations” was such a popular song? John Lennon even said that was the greatest album ever made. That’s because he’d learned enough meditation to understand these higher dimensions. That’s what made the Beatles such a great force for world peace.

Why can’t they prove stuff like this in the lab? Well, there are several answers to this. One of them is that they have proved it, but this information has been suppressed by big business and the secret government, who are acting in league with the dark forces of the lower chakras. Another answer is that you create your own reality, so if you don’t believe in it, then that is what is true for you.

Think about it–who invented Hz (whatever that is)? It’s just an arbitrary human label. And who gets to decide which side of the argument has to debunk the other? I mean, you can’t prove there are no ghosts. Doesn’t that make science unscientific? Spiritual people do lots of studies. Like the Seth material, or Ramtha. University professors have come and studied them in the lab, just like with the Dalai Lama and his yogis. It’s proven that we are one, and God is nothing more than pure, universal, Free Love.

Okay, okay–I’m just shittin ya! Luv-n-Lite? No–I embrace Darkness and Despair! Mwahahahaha!

HAIL SCIENCE !!! LONG LIVE ATHIANISM !!! (plays electric guitar riff)

Great post, SJ.
I’ve just decided you’re one of my favourite posters. :notworthy:

Fell down a drainage ditch at night and broke a rib. Now, was it me being an arse, or one of those damn ghosties giving me a push? Well, the Mother-in-law is convinced it was the latter and that’s fine with me :wink:

We had a screaming ghost last night around 2AM … or it was a woman that screamed the neighborhood together as she saw a ghost … or the woman was just crazy/drunk and all the rest is speculation … anyways, all lights went on in our building complex … 8 blocks, 100’s of apartments

Saying “there are no real ghost stories” is like saying “there are no real UFO stories”. Maybe I’m being picky, but there sure are real stories that aren’t necessarily refuted by any particular scientific researcher. A real ghost story doesn’t mean “Yes there are ghosts”, it just means there are some unexplained stories. Unexplained doesn’t mean not real either, or no one would care about cutting edge experiments that are designed to figure out something that wasn’t known before because they would be considered “superstitious halfwits who make up anything because they don’t understand something”.

Of course then other superstitious halfwits really do go make weak pseudo studies and come up with wild claims not backed by evidence, and make people interested in the phenomena look silly. Maybe they just aren’t familiar with scientific method, or maybe they’re trying to sell magic crystals or tv shows, but they sure aren’t helping add to any body of knowledge, which is what I would much rather see happen.

There used to be a ghost on Forumosa. He would come out of people’s posts.

[spoiler][color=darkblue]
And here he is!!!
[/color]

Pretty scary huh?[/spoiler]

Thank you very much for your kind testimonium, Josefus!

I experienced something that might be interpreted as a ghost. I was studying religion at the time–especially weird New Age stuff–and one of my professors was an 80-year-old guy who knew Edgar Cayce. I approached the subject with my usual skepticism. He told me that he had done the same thing back in 1943 (? dates fuzzy right now) but came away a believer. He also said that if he died before me, as seemed likely, he would try to help me from the “other side.”

Oh yeah–I asked about something he wrote in his autobiography. It had to do with this Russian hymn which he had once conducted (in his capacity as a men’s choir director), called “Salvation is Created (from the Depths of the Earth).” I had never heard of it, and asked him about it, but he didn’t have a tape or anything.

Well he did predecease me. About a year later (it may have been exactly a year later), I had this urge to re-visit this one church I had been to before. I got there early, while the choir was still practicing, and started thinking about my old professor for some reason. Then the director tapped his baton on the music stand and said something like “Okay, that was 'Salvation is Created,” we’ll be performing that next Wednesday…"

(Cue Twilight Zone music.)

Now yes, I understand very well how a skeptic could explain this (some combination of coincidence, selective memory, and narrative embellishments), and the various other things like that which seem to happen from time to time. But they do make me wonder.