Real, 'Murkan breakfast in Banqiao?

Looking at Uber and Food Panda, all I can see for breakfast is copy+paste dupes of your typical 早餐店。

Where can I find real American breakfast, or perhaps a wholesome bakery that has something breakfasty? Something like The Diner, but I’m not expecting anything as amazing as that rare gem (my fav!!!).

I must rant a bit about local “brunch” places, while I’m here:

• Eggs are cooked until dry and dusty
  • Brunch is essentially dinner item with egg on top
  • Bread is always “that cheapo white bread”
  • The ham is often spam-like.
  • Bacon is also spam like and cooked for only 2 seconds
  • For the rare occasion you see french toast, it’s always with honey.
  • Everything has cucumbers, finely chopped so it’s hard to pick out :wink:
  • That thick, “bagged mayo” is creepy AF.

I do like DanBing, Mantou, etc too - I can usually find something, but I’m missing the good stuff!

6 Likes

Why not just get on a train and go to Acme breakfast club in Ximen

1 Like

Are you sure that’s the name? Can’t find it on google maps

Woww! This looks like a gem. Outside Uber range, but definitely added to wishlist - this is worth traveling to. Just like this!!

ACME|Cafe Bar & Restaurant
02 6617 7575

3 Likes

Ah they moved. The original one was in Ximen next to the station

TBH I don’t think you’ll find any such thing. Western-style bacon and ham just doesn’t exist in Taiwan, AFAIK. There used to be a guy selling proper sausages and cured-meat products online, but I think he’s no longer in business, and the Taiwanese-run restos certainly don’t use such things. The weird spam and weird bacon is just what the suppliers provide.

“Western” breakfasts in Taiwan - and I’ve tried quite a few - are invariably disappointing. You might as well just make yer own. If you really want the resto experience, try the top-end hotel buffets at breakfast time. You’ll pay top dollar, but you’ll get exactly what you’re looking for. IIRC The Far Eastern does a pretty good spread with good-quality “American” breakfast items. The closest “ordinary” resto I’ve found with a passably-acceptable fryup is Marcus, outside Zhishan station.

3 Likes

They exist, just very expensive. Woolloomooloo has some. But say goodbye to your budget.

3 Likes

Just make bacon and scrambled egg yourself?

I’m more interested in Cantonese/Hong Kong-style congee shop. They are just not the same as the ones in HK. And a lot don’t open in the morning, more like a novelty. Siu Mei shops taste strange too.

2 Likes

I keep meaning to try the bacon from Churchill’s but haven’t got round to it yet

anyone tried the smoked back bacon?

2 Likes

That’s the guy I was thinking of. Didn’t realise he’s still around. Prices look quite reasonable.

The Diner has everything and more - even better than American diners. I was mostly wondering if something else existed.

JBs in TianMu used to be amazing, but went cheap after COVID and the food reflects it wildly. I tried 3x revently, in denial, but I won’t be going there again. If I’m paying 500 for a Diner meal, may as well just go to The Diner instead if its not amazing.

2nd Floor cafe is decent, but of course incomparable to The Diner.

Theres an amazing place in HsingChu called Chonky Diner that’s amazing and almost as good as The Diner (but takes an hour to get your food; super short staffed).

Edit: Omas German Bakery isn’t breakfast, but if feeling heavy bread, mmm…

3 Likes

I thought American breakfast is milk and cereals. Cereals are really expensive in Taiwan for what it is. I should be getting Wagyu beef for that price.

Fancy brunch is expensive everywhere.

Acme Breakfast Club in Ximen was my favorite, they also had a lot of boozy options like Mimosas, cool music and a balcony

Fumu does good English style breakfast
Tamed Fox is another place for American style brunch-they have two location.

But back to Banqiao, hmmmm really not sure.

3 Likes

I’ve always liked Bea’s Bistro and Auntie Nia’s. Both are in Daan and both do a nice job serving up American style diner fare. Not as great as The Diner, but then again, you won’t have to wait in line for 30 minutes.

1 Like

MENU – THE TAVERNIST | 2020 米其林餐盤推薦 台北最時髦摩登料理餐廳 Heard good things about the Tavernist as well, check out the breakfast menu, but havent been. Again they have booze and balcony

1 Like

Yes indeed places serving excellent brunch exist.

In addition to the trailblazing Woolloomooloo, I would add the excellent Avenue Fast Casual Eatery.

Neither, however, is in Banqiao. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Well…this seems to have turned in my favour.

Man, HK food here disappointing… Found a few siumei shops, one of which has a HK lady (ordered in canto to her, she even gave me free sides😂) which are decent, but went to a 茶餐廳 near my chinese school, got a 沙嗲牛麵, a scam! No peanuts bits in the sauce, cloves of garlic, random veggies in the soup… Noodles and meatbwere ok, but the dish was not that at all…

1 Like

Yes it is generally terrible, and it seems to be getting worse in the twenty years I’ve lived here. If you find a decent one, let us know.

Guy

1 Like