"Real" TPR

In another thread,[quote=“Bassman”]

• T.P.R and the basics[/quote][quote=“rubykate”]Very interested in using TPR- I use it here in New Zealand with English speakers to get them to extend their vocab and comprehension. Got it from some Early Childhood Teachers from Taiwan I taught here a few years ago.[/quote]

It is nice to hear some talk about TPR. Real TPR can be like rocket fuel. But you have to do it right. The term is often used to mean any kind of actions used in teaching, such as the teacher standing in front of the class doing actions and the students just sitting and saying stuff!

TPR really refers to the language acquisition techniques developed by research psychologist James Asher. It is a comprehension-based method, developed before the theories of Stephen Krashen but substantially in accord with them, and it provides for a silent period. Nevertheless, it has the effect of facilitating confident, fluent production.

In essence, it involves students responding physically to comprehended oral commands. This bypasses the analytical functions of the left side of the brain and uses the right side to acquire language rapidly and with great long-term retention. Although the primary mode of command is the imperative, TPR can be used to teach an extremely large range of grammar and vocabulary. When students feel confident, they can start to give commands themselves. They can also start to create short dialogues and skits, progressing to more complex and analytical activities.

A few notes;
ALL STUDENTS DO THE ACTIONS
This is very important for long-term retention. Of course they don’t all have to do the actions at the same time – in many situations it is probably better if 1-4 students are “performing” at any one time. But all students must have the opportunity to perform at some point for best results.

NUMBER OF ITEMS
New language items are best introduced around 3 at a time until they are thoroughly known. But this doesn’t mean at all that one has to limit oneself to teaching 3 items per class! In the work of Asher, Garcia etc. we can see that up to 18 items per class may be introduced. My experience confirms that quite a number of new items can be successfully learned and subsequently retained from one class.

IMPORTANCE OF RECOMBINATION
One of the key elements of real TPR is the recombination of familiar items in unfamiliar forms. This is extremely important. It demonstrates to all involved that the items and the syntax are really understood and it continues the acquisition process by keeping things interesting, not boring and mechanical.

TRANSLATION NOT NECESSARY
The core techniques of TPR do not require any form of translation into the mother tongue, nor is it recommended. Even syntactically complex sentences can be thoroughly understood and subsequently produced without any translation. However, a little translation, by the students or possibly by the teacher, may be useful during the process Asher terms “brainswitching” - the shift from right-brain to left-brain activity that maintains interest and involvement and aids learning. (There are also a lot of other potential ways of brainswitching without using translation).

AVOIDING “TPR BURNOUT”
There are a number of schools in Taiwan which use TPR as a primary element. At least one is very good. But I have heard that some others may be dictatorial in their approach and follow the TPR doctrine fanatically. I think that this is not at all what the creators of TPR intended, and that if all that is ever used is the basic core techniques, students will at some point become jaded and the acquisition process wiill be hindered. In the work of James Asher, Ramiro Garcia and their followers we can see that there is substantial provision for creative and also left-brain intellectual methods. A variety of games, drama and other activities are suggested. The potential is expanded with Blaine Ray’s “TPR Storytelling”. Teachers should feel confident to use ideas from many different sources and to create their own novel activities.

We use TPR a whole lot in our school. I just got a TPR book published in fact. It is without doubt the fastest and most effective way of preparing students for higher level skills.

I’ve done the simple stuff and also used B Ray’s storytelling books.

I also developed a TPR ABC rhyme book that builds up vocabulary and comprehension like magic. The applications are universal: reading, phonics, speaking, listening, writing, critical thinking. YUM

Mayhap you’d like to join us in the teacher’s network thread. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]We use TPR a whole lot in our school. I just got a TPR book published in fact. It is without doubt the fastest and most effective way of preparing students for higher level skills.

I’ve done the simple stuff and also used B Ray’s storytelling books.

[/quote]

Blaine Ray’s stuff is NOT TPR…it is TPRS. There is an enormous difference – i.e., Blaine Ray’s method is a comprehensive system, while Asher’s is limited (despite what he puffs about in his book).

Did I say that BR’s stuff was TPR?

Do you have something more useful to add? :slight_smile:

[quote=“ironlady”]
Blaine Ray’s stuff is NOT TPR…it is TPRS. There is an enormous difference – i.e., Blaine Ray’s method is a comprehensive system, while Asher’s is limited (despite what he puffs about in his book).[/quote]

I’d like to have some more details on that.

Blaine Ray has a lot of good press out there. I am inclined to think, especially after a tiny amount of research into B. Ray’s TPRS, that his methods are an improvement on a foundation laid by Asher.

I hear that Ironlady uses TPR for learning Chinese, is that true? If so, do you prefer to use TPRS (TPR Storytelling) for Chinese too?

I also feel that most of what is called TPR in Taiwan is nothing short of an excuse for jumping around and flapping your arms and legs. Real TPR, on the other hand, has some real benefits. I would also think that TPRS would rocket things off the scale too, that is if I knew a lot more about it.

Oh, let me add this. My local teachers are more open to using TPR at the moment than the foreign staff. Struck me as strange too. :astonished:

[quote=“ironlady”]Blaine Ray’s stuff is NOT TPR…it is TPRS. There is an enormous difference – i.e., Blaine Ray’s method is a comprehensive system, while Asher’s is limited (despite what he puffs about in his book).[/quote]That’s not how I read it. Asher seems pretty upfront about TPR’s limitations, and actively promotes TPRS as a way to take things further. Of course, if you take either as a kind of rigid doctrine not to be strayed from, you’ll probably reach the limits fairly soon. So it’s just as well that Asher encourages the use of a wide range of different activities, despite what some of his followers seem to believe.

That’s because they saw me in my new coolguy sunglasses! lol

I teach TPRS (full TPRS, not just TPR) exclusively, regardless of what language I’m teaching. And I train my tutors if I’m learning a language so they teach me that way too (although that can be tricky at times.)

I trained with Blaine Ray, BTW.

It has been impossible to find any books on TPR or TPRS at bookstores in Taipei. I take it yours are available somewhere jdsmith. Care to enlighten us? Since ironlady mentioned the concept some time ago I have been making a serious attempt to incorporate the idea (as far as I understand it) into what I do and it has really added a much needed spark to the proceedings. I am sure there is tons more I could learn though of course. Thanks.

http://www.blaineraytprs.com
You’ll find everything there.

No Chinese learning materials though, I’m still working on them. (And, since Asher holds the copyrights to Blaine’s textbooks (!), and he does not believe that any non-Chinese could ever write a passable Chinese textbook, I was barred from producing the obvious translated and adapted version for teaching Chinese. Pr!ck. :unamused: )

There is a nice series for Japanese, though, and all the English you can eat. There are also related materials published by others.

If you are truly interested in using TPRS correctly (you really cannot dabble in it, it does not achieve any real results if you do it part-time or if you are not sure of what you are doing) visit the yahoogroups site “moretprs”. Blaine, Susie Gross and other TPRS old-timers are on there personally every day answering questions. You would learn an enormous amount just reading the archives.

The best thing to do is to get trained in the US with someone with experience in the method. As I say, lots of people say, “Oh, this sounds good, we can use it 1 day a week”. You will NOT see results that way. Nor will you find it terribly useful if you are teaching to a test (unless the test is a true proficiency test and is at least a year from the day you begin). TPRS is not geared to a traditional test-driven, homework-laden program, so many administrators (in particular) have problems accepting it. The other problem is that due to the way we teach TPRS – with the standard being 80% of your kids have to score 80% or higher on each quiz or YOU (as the teacher) did not do your job and must loop back and re-teach until the items are mastered), grades tend to be high compared to traditional classes. If we are doing our jobs right, there will be no “bell curve” as all normal or near-normal children are capable of acquiring a new language.

Ironlady, I couldn’t connect to that site. Is the address correct?

Hi,
Try it now…I mistyped it. :frowning: :blush:

Thanks for the excellent information Ironlady.

Bob, I had the classic of TPR, James Asher’s book; “Learning Another Language Through Actions” on order from Amazon for 6 months. It never came. Eventually I found a copy in Waterstone’s academic bookshop in London; the last copy in any Waterstone’s in Britain. I think you’d have better luck ordering online from the official TPR website;
tpr-world.com/

For TPR itself, the two books to get are the Asher one and the “Instructor’s Notebook” by Ramiro Garcia.

I have read some intriguing titbits about TPRS online including on the website Ironlady linked to. I am planning to buy the Ray/Seely book “Fluency Through TPR Storytelling” and the two TPRS videos. They are also available through the TPR World website. The link for that portion of the catalogue is not very clear; you have to click on “Blaine Ray” on the left hand side.