Reality of weight loss

It’s hard. I started back up some training in the last 2 weeks. I’ve been pushing over 100kg after the New Years and it’s taken a toll on my body. 4 months ago I was maybe just over 90. So adding 10kg in 4 months is quite a bit. Losing muscle mass and strength while gaining fat.

Noticeable changes to the heart once i’m over 100kg. I feel like my heart can’t keep up just walking fast. I can feel anxious because of it, it’s not a nice feeling to have high heart rates for simple tasks. And I’m a relatively young guy who doesn’t drink or smoke anymore. Think about what a unhealthy weight does to a older person with bad habits.

My knees, and ankles. Both previously injured from broken bones to ligament tears have been coming up. 100kg is a lot of weight to push around especially for a taller guy who puts extra stress on the knees and ankles.

So 2 weeks now. I think no real changes to weight but I can see noticeable changes to the body already. Muscle feels firmer and probably because your body is shuttling nutrients to your muscles when you actually use them.

Be interesting to see how things go, I’m trying to get to under 95kg by the end of February when I move.

Muscle memory is your friend. It won’t take you long to trade fat for muscle.

I have been waiting for 30 years. Should it be faster /?

3 Likes

It’s clean and jerk not the other way around.

1 Like

Exercising isn’t too much of the issue. It’s more difficult because it’s one thing train your body while gaining weight. Another to not train and gain all that weight. I can feel how heavy I am, I’m tired doing body weight stuff that would have be easy around 90kg.

The diet is hard, as you need to be stricter. Before I can eat fairly freely without issues but in malaysia the food choices arent great and most places made me sick. Eating at KFC and other fast food is literally easier on my stomach. Yeah…i basically ate fast food for most food since I moved here because it didnt give me diarrhea

You just need to be fat shamed.

1 Like

you gotta get out of your fast cars and walk instead to your neighborhood 7- Eleven for that new pack of cigarettes. :+1:

1 Like

@Andrew0409, and doesn’t muscle weigh more than fat? so, your weight might not necessarily imply you’ve gotten fitter until you burn a lot of fat

Well, I haven’t trained so it’s definitely fat gain. But I would contribute to the lack of weight change to gaining back some muscle mass and losing fat. I’ll stay off the scales for this one.

I literally ate fast food at least once a day if not more so that’s not good.

Diet is key. More than key. Took me forever to believe it, now I do.

2 Likes

Being overweight and obesity has been linked to mental health problems. I can feel random anxiety for no reason just chilling in my bed. It’s like feeling cluster phobic, like i’m trapped in my poor health and weight.

I guess I am lucky . I can eat copious amounts of food and don’t put much weight on . Metabolism ? Problem I have is that , as I keep breaking things , it becomes very hard to work out :disappointed_relieved:

Also depends on the type of food. I normally do not gain much fat. But you can’t eat fast food daily and be ok unless you were like 16 year old me who scarf down 4000+ calories and still struggle to maintain weight.

I limit my fast food intake to days ending in a ‘Y’ , only :grin: I am truly terrible.

What’s your body fat percentage? I find that a much better indicator of physical health than actual weight.

I just saw this:

I guess it was obvious, although what is the real weight of gens? Also, I don’t think that the fat us I see torturing scooters on the streets have just bad luck with their genetics.

On a related note, I’d like to get fitter, stronger. Not that I have any real problem with my weight of complexion, I just want to be fitter and stronger and recently I feel a greater body of fat surrounding my otherwise Greek statue like musculature.

When cooking for just yourself, remember to reduce the amount of spaghetti :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t have access to a accurate body composition reader. But I just look in the mirror.

Part of my problem is it’s really hard to train unless I have a reason to train for. I’m not playing any sports. I don’t really care about looking that great with a 6 pack where I’m willing to push myself and diet hard. I love to eat and I can eat a lot.

I need to find a team to play or maybe take up boxing again. Maybe plan a fight. I just don’t care enough to really train.

Articles like that give me high blood pressure. You have to register to read it, but I know what it’ll say because the same article gets wheeled out every couple of months: fat people are blameless cos of like genes and stuff, and skinny people are bad people because they’re lucky. Or something like that.

One: skinny people aren’t necessarily skinny all the way through. People react in different ways to shitty diets. Just as men and women deposit fat in different places, there’s also individual variation in visceral fat vs. subcutaneous fat deposition. Some superficially-skinny people have disastrous amounts of fat around their internal organs.

Two: simply being skinny doesn’t necessarily make you look good. You need to put some muscle on your bones. Now, musculature IS heavily determined by genes (and childhood nutrition), but that doesn’t mean it’s fixed. If a genetically-disadvantaged person works out and eats properly, he or she will put on muscle; conversely, if a genetically-gifted person watches TV and drinks beer all day, he’ll look like crap. Just check out retired baseball players for evidence of that.

Three: fat people eat fattening diets. All fat people. Yes, some people get fatter than others, faster, when they eat the wrong things. That’s genetics and whatnot. But you can’t get obese without eating those certain things: it’s just physiologically impossible. Notice the phrasing of the statement about people who “eat the same amount of calories” but have different bodyfat distributions: the possibility that the content of their diet might be relevant is simply dismissed out-of-hand. Cos it’s all about thuh calories.

@Andrew0409: welcome to middle age. Exact same thing you’re going through happened to me when I was about 26, 27. It took me 10 years to figure out why. It isn’t really about the lack of exercise; not much. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying food, but you need to fix your appetite.

From what I understand, men past 25 is where aging starts. GH levels become none existent, testosterone levels start to fall.

I dropped the gut pretty fast, 3 weeks in and i no longer have one of those hard bloated looking guts. I expected some initial results by just not eating fast food and adding some exercise. I thing I did notice is, I don’t lose muscle as much if I don’t work out. I suppose slower metabolism also means slower muscle loss. My metabolism used to just use anything for energy.