Really annoying worm-type thingy

Just been reading the Firefox users’ reviews: “only negative reviews” section at download.com.

Seems there’s no tabbed browsing. [What IS tabbed browsing anyway?]
Plus, there’s no scroll side bar when you open up another window. No refresh button either. I use that all the time. Doesn’t sound too good, but it got an 89% approval rating overall.

So, firefox users, any of these criticisms valid?

[quote=“Spack”]Just been reading the negative reviews section of firefox at download.com.

Seems there’s no tabbed browsing. [What IS tabbed browsing anyway?]
Plus, there’s no scroll side bar when you open up another window. No refresh button either. I use that all the time. Doesn’t sound too good, but it got an 89% approval rating overall.

So, firefox users, any of these criticisms valid?[/quote]
Complete rubbish. Perhaps those users were using a very early version, but tabbed browsing seems to have been part of the concept from the beginning.

Tabbed browsing is when you right-click on a link and it gives you the option to either open the link in a new window or as a new tab. As a tab means you literally see a little tab at the top of the browser window for every page you’re currently viewing. It’s quick and convenient to switch between pages. I got used to it in Opera and wouldn’t be without it now. You can choose to open links in ‘background’ tabs so the focus still stays on the page you were viewing. This is very useful when looking at the ‘posts since last visit’ on Forumosa for example. I go quickly through and open all interesting threads in background tabs, then take my time to browse through the various pages. In Firefox the default is to open in a backgound tab.

By way of contrast, IE opens everything up in separate windows and it’s a hassle changing between them, especially as each new window ‘steals’ the focus and you have to go back to the windows bar at the bottom of the screen to put the focus back on the window you were viewing. Also, that bar can’t fit many windows- not nearly as many as the tabs you can fit onscreen in Opera or Mozilla.

Of course Firefox can refresh pages, from the right-click menu within a page or at that page’s tab, or with the normal ‘refresh’ button.

Yes every page has a scroll bar.

I sound like a rabid Firefox fan but really it’s been good to me and it’s well worth a try; especially since the download size is pretty small.

It helps a lot to be able to decipher at least the 26 characters that English is made of if one wants to browse the internet. As joesax said: complete nonsense.

Spack, what’s the problem? Are you on a 28k modem line? If not, just get the program, install it (you know, there is an uninstall function, just in case) and try it out! Just get Firefox and play around with it instead of searching the net for just another site where some illiterates were not able to press the right mouse button and select “Open in new tab”, so they had to complain about features they couldn’t find…

Yes, I will probably do just as you suggest. I wanted to get some opinions from the Collective Brain that is 'mosa. Thanks for all your help. :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded stuff before and after experiencing problems and uninstalling teh problems have persisted, so I’m abit wary. Coupla years ago I downloaded foxmail, an email client originating in china. Someone here recommended it. It sucks. It put itself into everything, even Word. I am sure it was foxmail that screwed up my PC. I ended up rebooting. (That it’s call FOXmail I am sure is just a coincidence by the way.)

Me too. There are a couple of things that I can’t uninstall, yet can’t use. One of them is the demo for Colin McCrae Rally 3 - I can’t remove it from my installed programs list, and I also can’t play either it or the demo of version 4 on my computer - it gets to nearly the play screen then crashes and disappears, leaving only whatever windows I had open before. Pity - that’s one of the very few computer games I would like to get.

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll have any problems with Firefox. If in doubt, have a quick look through their support forums to see if anyone’s had any problems;
forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

I remember the name of the related mail client now. It’s ‘Thunderbird’. I don’t know anything about it though - I would try it but as I always use webmail there’s no point. I would say though that the webpage for Thunderbird;
mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
looks decidedly ‘Old-Mozilla-esque’ and not quite as polished or user-friendly as that of Firefox. Don’t know whether that is echoed in the program as well.

[quote=“Spack”]Yes, I will probably do just as you suggest. I wanted to get some opinions from the Collective Brain that is 'mosa. Thanks for all your help. :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded stuff before and after experiencing problems and uninstalling teh problems have persisted, so I’m abit wary. Coupla years ago I downloaded foxmail, an email client originating in China. Someone here recommended it. It sucks. It put itself into everything, even Word. I am sure it was foxmail that screwed up my PC. I ended up rebooting. (That it’s call FOXmail I am sure is just a coincidence by the way.)[/quote]
Hmm. Well, I don’t know how well-organized you keep your hard drive, but . . . what works for me is Norton Ghost.

Ghost takes a hard drive and makes a complete image of it onto another drive. If something hoses your OS, you just run Ghost again and load the good image off the backup drive onto your boot drive.

I keep a relatively small partition for my OS and installed software only – no data, no MP3s, no email files. Whenever I want to install something new, I create an image to fall back on if the new software is crap, install the new software, and if it doesn’t work I restore the pre-installation image. So, no worries about any spyware or other crap – if I were to install Kazaa, for example, I could remove it as soon as I was done with it and not have to worry about its bullshit adware hanging around forever. Keeps me reasonably safe from viruses too.

Ghost does seem like a sensible option.
I keep all my important stuff (basically all my Word files and photos) in D drive so I can reboot without having to worry about losing those.

So, with Ghost can you set it to restore just one part of your PC, or does it do the whole thing? For example, say one month after I install a program I don’t want anymore I hit ‘restore’ or whatever in Ghost, am I going to lose a month’s worth of my precious Word files and photos?

[quote=“Spack”]Ghost does seem like a sensible option.
I keep all my important stuff (basically all my Word files and photos) in D drive so I can reboot without having to worry about losing those.

So, with Ghost can you set it to restore just one part of your PC, or does it do the whole thing? For example, say one month after I install a program I don’t want anymore I hit ‘restore’ or whatever in Ghost, am I going to lose a month’s worth of my precious Word files and photos?[/quote]
I think that’s what Mapodurian meant; that you only restore the partition with the OS and installed programs on. Sounds like an excellent idea and I will certainly consider Ghost or suchlike when I upgrade or get a new computer. My current computer is secondhand and I wouldn’t really want to change partion sizes or create new partitions for fear of messing stuff up. It’s set up so that it works well enough at the moment.

Would you believe, I had a dream about this last night! I dreamed that I had downloaded one of those ‘Browser Helper’ programs and it constantly directed my browser to a page about computer games and kept opening new windows. No matter how much I used ‘Alt-F4’, the windows kept opening and opening.

bear 64, sorry for hijacking your thread and turning it into a browser discussion instead!

Well, I just got my weekly email from download.com which claims there is quite a bit of buzz about MyIE2:

download.com.com/3000-2356-10136776.html

Might be worth a look if anyone’s interested.

Features? Maybe. Does it fix IE’s security holes? I doubt. There are a few basic problems with IE that add-ons cannot fix. You can read this to let you be assured that using IE is the right thing to do.

And btw, Spack, installing Mozilla can really not be considered rocket science. Just download it, execute the installer and there you are. (Except of course, you assume some kind of conspiration with dirty and unfair tricks to hijack your computer… :astonished: )

[quote=“dl7und”]Features? Maybe. Does it fix IE’s security holes? I doubt. There are a few basic problems with IE that add-ons cannot fix. You can read this to let you be assured that using IE is the right thing to do.

And btw, Spack, installing Mozilla can really not be considered rocket science. Just download it, execute the installer and there you are. (Except of course, you assume some kind of conspiration with dirty and unfair tricks to hijack your computer… :astonished: )[/quote]

Thanks for that. :smiley:

Firefox, here I come baby…
:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

[quote=“bear64”]anyone else had their pc’s attacked by something that resets your default browser opening page with this code:

%61%63%63%2e%63%6f%75%6e%74%2d%6 … 8%6c%6f%77

which is a page that purports to be a search engine but isnt…

both my work pc’s (2) and home pc have caught this and I’ve seen other peoples pc’s with it…I’ve tried running spybot but it doesnt purge it…any ideas?[/quote]

Well i did a trace on the website that you get redirected to. Are you sure it’s a worm that did it? Anyway, you can report this abuse to abuse@above.net
Thats the email of the Admin for Abovenet Communications, Inc in which the URL you pointed out is registered to.

Here’s the complete info on how to contact them

Name: AboveNet Abuse
Handle: ABOVE-ARIN
Company: AboveNet Inc
Address: 360 Hamilton Ave
City: White Plains
StateProv: NY
PostalCode: 10601
Comment: Please direct all abuse issues to this contact.
RegDate: 2003-12-11
Updated: 2003-12-11
Phone: +1-877-479-7378 (Office)
Phone: +1-408-350-6451 (Office)
Email: abuse@above.net

Also if you don’t want to see that website anymore, block the website from your PC.

The URL %61%63%63%2e%63%6f%75%6e%74%2d%6 … 8%6c%6f%77
when decoded means -> acc.count-all.com/-/?cxlow
So just block this URL acc.count-all.com
Open notepad and open a file named hosts at your windows directory. c:\windows
Now there should be two hosts files there.
one is named hosts and the other one is hosts.sam
Now open the one without the file extension.
Ok add this line to the end of the file
127.0.0.1 acc.count-all.com
127.0.0.1 www.acc.count-all.com
now save it and run internet explorer and try to connect to it. IE should respond in page not found or something even if it exist, hehehe! :wink:

Hope this helps :laughing:

yesh well the virus software i was told to download caught the worm-thingy within 1 second of running it so it’s a happy ending there…no need to block the url since once you boot the thing out it can’t get back in to reset your default opening page…