Really Dumb Double 10 Day Question

So…could someone help clarify?

Today is Double 10 day (yay!) and its celebrating Taiwan’s 99…its Taiwan’s birthday. But its been year 99 for a while…so Taiwan isnt turning 99, and it doesnt seem to be turning 100? When does Taiwan turn 100…at the New Year?

I feel really stupid asking this, but I also feel more stupid not understanding it. Thank you in advance!

It’s the 99th anniversary of the Wuchang Uprising, which paved the way for the establishment of the Republic of China a couple of months later, on January 1.

Today is the 99th anniversary of the Wuchang (武昌) Uprising (Oct. 10, 1911), which started the Xinhai (辛亥) Revolution that overthrew the Qing Dynasty.

The Republic of China was officially founded (建國) on Jan 1, 1912. The year 1912 was thus Year 1 of the Republic.

Notice that the names in Chinese characters above are all names of streets in Taipei!

So how did the double ten day go for you guys over there? Was it a nice celebration?

Increasingly the ROC has become more and more of a joke on the international stage. I hear only one head of state attended, and he was from some small place.

I know this is weird. So many people seem to think this year is the 100th anniversary.

No feeling. They don’t even allow the flag to be placed on bridges anymore like years ago.

[quote=“NomNomTaiwan”]So…could someone help clarify?

Today is Double 10 day (yay!) and its celebrating Taiwan’s 99…its Taiwan’s birthday. But its been year 99 for a while…so Taiwan isnt turning 99, and it doesnt seem to be turning 100? When does Taiwan turn 100…at the New Year?
[/quote]

Actually it’s the Republic of China’s birthday, not Taiwan’s. Big distinction.

The 100th anniversary of the ROC will be held next year, 2011.

No feeling. They don’t even allow the flag to be placed on bridges anymore like years ago.[/quote]
Plenty flags on the Bitan bridges.

No feeling. They don’t even allow the flag to be placed on bridges anymore like years ago.[/quote]
Plenty flags on the Bitan bridges.[/quote]

Really? I didn’t see any and I was biking around the area last night.

I heard it was a new policy not to allow flags on bridges.

Didn’t see any sign of anything in Taichung…not that I would be into it anyway.

From the Department of Information:

Bitan of course is the county so I guess different rules apply.

I’m not a geologist, but wouldn’t Taiwan’s birthday be in the 10,000’s or something, or however many years since the landmass broke off from the mainland or emerged from the sea or something?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]From the Department of Information:

Bitan of course is the county so I guess different rules apply.[/quote]

There were flags on the bridge from Taipei City to Sanchong, Xinjhuang and Yonghe. I had to push them out of the way on my morning jog over the river. (I knew I took this photo for a reason!)

How many double ten days are there in one year?

I’m not a geologist, but wouldn’t Taiwan’s birthday be in the 10,000’s or something, or however many years since the landmass broke off from the mainland or emerged from the sea or something?[/quote]

Taiwan’s 5,345,234th geological birthday was in August. I got the invite. :discodance:

[quote=“tommy525”]So how did the double ten day go for you guys over there? Was it a nice celebration?

Increasingly the ROC has become more and more of a joke on the international stage. I hear only one head of state attended, and he was from some small place.[/quote]
Big parade along Ren’Ai Road. I saw the big caterpillar float!! :discodance:

On that float was the President of Wonderland. Alice was out lobbying for Oscars.

I’m not a geologist, but wouldn’t Taiwan’s birthday be in the 10,000’s or something, or however many years since the landmass broke off from the mainland or emerged from the sea or something?[/quote]
Hmmmm…

Possible Taiwan birthdays:

Feb. 1, 1662: Dutch leave Taiwan, defeated by Koxinga
Sep. 5, 1885: Taiwan becomes a province of China
Oct. 25, 1945: End of Japanese rule

Some kind a big doo dee dah down here with fireworks and blocked traffic, and about a hundred tour busses–but I concluded, after very little research, that it was some god’s birthday. It MAY have been for 10 10 day, but I really don’t think so.

My mom used to have a dog named Ten Ten. (No Ren.)

Lol…thank you MuchaMan…and Poagao, I like this statement.

Yes, I misspoke (typed) but I do realize the distinction…lol, dont worry. :laughing: