Rear wheel dish adjustment... for cheap?

Someone paid more attention than me to my rear wheel and noticed there was some offset to the… left? right? can’t remember now. I’m considering having someone adjusting the wheel dish if it’s simple and cheap enough. And I mean real cheap, because I’m very budget conscious at the moment.

Reasons for adjusting this would be… that now it’s wrong. And that I do feel like it slightly leans to one side and this could be the reason. And that I might want to take my road beast to a trail but not without putting on the widest of the tyres it can take, and the offset hinders that plan.

Many thanks!

:bike: :hammer: :pick: :carpentry_saw:

EDIT: spokes count is 21, in groups of 3. Stupid Italian designs…

Flip the bike over and you can adjust the wheel yourself. If it’s really off it will manifest itself.

Yeah, no, that’s not an answer to my question, thanks.

Do you mean you want the wheel trued?

The wheel is not centered to the frame. In other words, it is closer to one chainstay/seatstay than the other. I don’t remember which one. I think it is because it was built for an asymmetric frame, or maybe it is a normal wheel on an asymmetric frame, but I don’t think Giant made any of those. I didn’t take a closer look.

I suspect the fix involves a complete new set of spokes and rebuilt, though.

Trued would be a broader concept if I’m not mistaken, but yeah, it needs to be trued.

I think it is fixable without having to change spokes. I got a quotation of 300 NT from a guy who I know and who’s pretty good. Considering it :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t know. I have never built or even fix a wheel :laughing:

I mean, it isn’t rocket science, but without the right tool the result isn’t going to be perfect, and I don’t trust myself for doing this. Or maybe I just don’t want to do it…?

I’ve built a wheel myself, it’s not hard but it takes a lot of trial and error.

What city are you in?
Does your wheel use conventional spokes and nipples?
What’s the age and overall condition of the wheel?

I’m in the north.

IDK. I gave a clue in my OP; it’s an Italian brand, mid tier, 21 spokes, groups of 3 spokes… it’s a Zonda and it’s in good condition.

Ok, looks like conventional stainless steel spokes. This should be a pretty straight forward job for any decent bike shop. If you trust your friend $300nt is a good deal. So long as the nipples aren’t seized is should simply be a matter of adjusting the tension.

I’d recommend this guy as he’s work is great, only deals with wheels, but will be more than $300 but likely less than $1000

捷輪手編輪工作室
0936 225 433

2 Likes

Campagnolo Zonda. Looks like this…

If you were here, or I were there, I would fix it for you for free.
Lacking a proper Dishing Guage, if you want to check if the wheel is dished properly (the rim is centered on the axles), just take the tire off or at least deflate it, rest the wheel rim on 2 glasses/jars of the same size and measure the distance to the locknut/endcaps face as per photos below. Flip and do the same. The measurements should match.

With Campy G3 it is important to make adjustments gradually and treat each drive side spoke pair as a single entity (match tension). Above all, be sure to keep the bladed spoke from twisting with an appropriate tool.

If it IS out of center, but true (straight) it is most likely that the non drive side spokes have lost tension.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know him. He’s the one who gave me the quotation xD

It’s a good deal, but considering that this is an easy job difficult to screw, if I can get it done for 200, I’ll keep the 100. Yeah, I know, but as I said, I’m counting pennies these days.

Man, define here!

Nice workaround, still not ideal for this tedious job.

Yeah, I totally get that.

Huh… didn’t think of that, but yeah, I guess that could be a possible explanation. And yes, it is trued, other than the dish not being adjusted.

Bali…the one across from Java, not the one across from Tamsui :rofl:

1 Like

Haha… well, then it’s going to be difficult xD

Now I remember reading you something about the life in Bali. Nice, enjoy that. Maybe that’s where I should be instead of here…

If he’s telling you $300 I’d take that deal.

Yeah, most likely doing it. He said it’s a 10 min job. TBH it isn’t that off the center, and the wheel is in good condition.

For normal wheels you adjust the nipple thing at the rim, to adjust the tension of each spoke and this moves the wheel rim to one side or other, and you keep doing this until the wheel is true. If you want to get really anal you can use a dial indicator to dial it in but this isn’t necessary. You can actually do this by turning the bike upside down, remove the tire and inner tube.

If it’s one of those exotic wheels, there’s plenty of bike shops around Taipei who might be able to fix it.