Reasons for NWOHR getting TARC

I just checked with TECO today and they said my application was approved by the NIA just last week, so hopefully they will receive the approved documents this week.

Overall 7 weeks have passed since I applied, which isn’t far off from what I think they told me it would take (Taiwan is also experiencing a lot of flooding right now – probably wouldn’t affect this, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to cut them some slack). Keep in mind that it is much faster to apply in Taiwan directly, if you’re in a hurry and if you can get all of your documents together in Taiwan relatively easily.

I was looking at the original application instructions again and I should clarify some of the stuff I was saying based on memory earlier:

• The process shouldn’t take 3 months if applying from TECO. I was remembering incorrectly. It’s best to ask TECO how long they expect it will take. I think the 3 month period I was thinking of refers to the time you have to correct mistakes flagged to you by the NIA if applying overseas (although now I’m going on memory again, so…)

• It is correct that they issue you a copy of the TARC visa which you need to then exchange in Taiwan for the original TARC visa. So if I remember from looking at the instructions last night, I believe you need to exchange it at NIA within a certain number of days after you enter Taiwan on an entry permit that they issue (I think this is a different entry permit from the standard NWOHR entry permit that is for multiple entries over many years of validity). I believe this permit is specifically for this process of getting in to exchange the copy of the TARC for the original TARC. I’ll try to confirm this as I go further in the process.

So hopefully this is good news for everyone in this same situation. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help.