Reasons for NWOHR getting TARC

After getting TARC, how many years have to live in TW to get TW citizenship?

It depends on how you qualify. You might find the answer you need here.

(This page doesn’t list AF368 for some reason, so it might not be updated.)

A. For the application is made under the provisions of Article 2 Subparagraph 1 Items 1 to 6 and Subparagraph 2, it means continuous residence of one year, or being physically present for at least 270 days in each of two calendar years, or being physically present for at least 183 days in each of five calendar years.

B. For the application is made under the provisions of Article 2 Subparagraph 1 Items 7 and 8 and Subparagraphs 3 to 6, it means continuous residence of three years, or being physically present for at least 270 days in each of five calendar years, or being physically present for at least 183 days in each of seven calendar years.

Can TARC reason be updated? If I get TARC by enrolling in mandarin studies, then I get hired by a company? Or married to a taiwanese girl?

Should be fine.

Maybe because all foreign student could apply to TW citizenship by this logic. Too easy, isn´t?

No. You must have a NWOHR passport, so foreigners cannot apply, unless they naturalize.

Despite having this passport, I´m still treated as foreigner. The passport doesn´t grant me any benefit or right in TW

It grants you the right to apply for a TARC (if you qualify) and eventually receive an ID, without having to naturalize. People without NWOHR passports cannot do that.

By what you´re saying If I qualify for TARC, any of its reason, I can qualify to citizenship (TW ID). Is that what you´re saying?

Check this email from NIA:

According to this email, studies cannot qualify for permanent residence, which makes nonsense because it´s one of the TARC reasons (AF368).

Yes. If you qualify for a TARC, then you already qualify to obtain an ID (“full” citizen) IF you meet the specified length-of-stay requirements for the category which you qualify under.

Ah ok. I guess that’s why it wasn’t listed in the reason in the document I sent you.

Can you reply to that email and ask them what AF368 qualification is for?

By the way, if you can come to Taiwan to study, then it will be easier for you to find a job here. There are lots of Latino students at the university I mentioned near my home, and many remain after graduation to work here. If you want to teach English, some private tutoring schools will most likely accept you if they meet you in person and see that your English is good enough. If you don’t want to teach English, there are plenty of other non-teaching job opportunities in the business or technology fields for English-speaking people like yourself.

1 Like

One thing I have learned from NIA officers, they dont have all the answers.

First at all, they told me I cannot qualify to TARC via study and I proved them wrong with college documents.

Additionally, I went to ask about the possibility to apply citizenship through military service and they just told me to ask them personally.

Welcome to Taiwan. Nobody here has any answers, and they would rather just lie to you instead of saying “I’m not sure”.

2 Likes

Sometimes the people in this forum have better answers than the actual government officials. I know @tando has a lot of knowledge when it comes to NWOHR. I’m not sure if they are still active here, but maybe you could send them a private message.

Indeed, studying mandarin is one of my goal and good investment.

It will help to open many doors in TW. Only if you can afford it

Can you post the college documents here? I’m curious about what it says about TARC.