Reasons why China sucks

ok that was a little over-the-top. Jenpenguin, sorry. 对不起。不好意思。

ludicrous. i would ask what Minnanhua is, but i dont give a fuck. :wink: it’s obviously not that important unless you live in a village and everyone else speaks it.

but actually the english wasn’t the problem. i wish you well in your english. it’s just the funny stock answers you get from Taiwanese and some foreigners about China. it’s so… robotic. I feel like you’ve been brainwashed and that is a terrible thing. i feel sorry for you. (not to say that China is clean and pure and bright)

i feel sorry for you Sandman. Your initial comment about my experience in FNAC shows that you have no idea what the point of my exercise was. But I forgive you. You can’t expect a European (and a Scot) to understand these thing. Case in point, Scots in HK. They are so clueless.
But hey I love Scots… when they are in Scotland. :wink:

Kenny, how long have you been living in Taiwan and you don’t know that Minnanhua is spoken by 70 percent of the people in Taiwan? Shame on you.

I am not Taiwanese, I am American. I have lived in China and I have studied the China threat while a graduate student in political science. They have goals of regional hegemony and those who ignore it do so at their peril.

[quote=“jenpenguin”]China is a Communist country, Taiwan is a Democracy country. It is ridiculous to say people can not cite their birthplace as "Taipei, Taiwan in the passport.

A shock news in Mandarin newspapers today. Most of beer imported from China contains methanal !! That would cause you cancer if you drink it over limit. The point is imported beer have not been checked, it means no quality control inspection by us!!

Also, TV news shoot the fact lots of herbal medicine from China are fake, that’s sucks!![/quote]

Excuse me! Methanol is a byproduct of fermentation, as is ethanol. When yeast does its thing, it turns sugar into ethanol (the stuff that gets you drunk) and tiny amounts of methanol (the stuff that damages your body) and CO2 for good measure. Point is: All beers and wines have some methanol in them.
The only time methanol beomes an issue is during distallation into spirits, where concentrations of methanol could theoretically reach a dangerous level in the end product.
Now, as beer is not distilled, it cannot pose a threat of methanol poisoning, unless concentrated methanol is deliberately added. Now for the life of me, I cannot think of any reason why a beer manufacturer (even one from China) would want to add poson to their drinkable product.

Moral: Taiwanese “reporters” don’t even know how to report. If they are less than competent at their chosen specialized field, how could you possibly expect them to understand what other people do?

I suppose its also pertinent to add that the average Taiwanese consumer is even more stupid than the average Taiwanese reporter, as they take this kind of stuff hook, line and sinker. If the average Taiwanese consumer can’t tell the difference between a truthful news report and one that’s obviously fabricated then there’s no hope for improving standards among the newspapers here.

“I have studied the China threat while a graduate student in poli sci”. you need to work on that line. sounds kinda robotic too. :wink: what is your name Green Big Sea?

Monkey. I think the post said 'methanal" (HCHO) which is actually formaldehyde. A few of the cheap main brands are purported to have contain such chemicals. The Chinese press uncovered some stories about that. I guess when folks die they will at least be preserved well!

I was worried about the quality of water they use to make the beer though. it sure ain’t mountain spring water.

the reports about the fake medicines have some truth in them. as is the case with some tea products. they may just put in flour or non-tea leaves as stuffing basically.
but hey, it’s not like Taiwan is the mecca of intellectual property protection (fake cds dvds) and genuine products (there’s fake stuff here too). my point, for all taiwan’s talk, deep down, there’s very little difference between Taiwanese Chinese and PRC Chinese. Now HK chinese, they can be a different breed (depending on the generation too) with the heavy influence/indoctrination from the British Colonial Government (I love how UK banged drums about how HK could lose its democracy after the takeover. Please. You ran it as a colony. Did people vote for Patten?)

Well, forgive my rant then, well-intentioned though it was. Formaldehyde was used widely in the past as a clearing agent, including here in Taiwan – but don’t ever remember deaths associated with it.

Well, since you have no rational retort to my posts, so you have to make this kind of comment. And you didn’t even know what Minnanhua was. Interesting.

Look, I don’t want any animosity, but I would appreciate it if you didn’t push things. If you don’t want to believe I researched the China threat and the Taiwan independence issue, fine. However, I have discussed my research on other fora and at confenences. You have displayed to me absolutely ZERO knowledge of the true threat China poses.

Don’t you think it’s a bit too late to worry about that NOW? :laughing:

The arguments in this tread tempted me to do some check in a dictionary. Know nothing about chemistry, but the cancer-causing additive allegedly put in some China bears is

Monkey~ I was wrong to say the component is methanol, it actually is formaldehyde as B.B said. I feel a bit shame to forget most of all chemical stuff although I majored in Chemical Engineering.

Hexuan is right! :stuck_out_tongue:

B.B. ~ I agree with your points of views. :smiley:

Don’t feel sorry, just send me money. So you had a point in FNAC? What? To prove that foreigners can be just as dumb shmucks as Taiwanese with an elementary school education? Way to go, champ. Ya did good. :unamused:

Don’t feel sorry, just send me money. So you had a point in FNAC? What? To prove that foreigners can be just as dumb shmucks as Taiwanese with an elementary school education? Way to go, champ. Ya did good. :unamused:[/quote]

Well I guess it’s just that European ignorance showing through. :wink:

The followers of Mao over on the mainland may be the brightest but at least they can consider themselves the winners (in this part of the world). It was Cash My Check and 2 million of his fellow losers that got the grand prize of Taiwan (after fleeing like a bunch of sissy-boy pooftas). China may be bad, but it is a step above Taiwan. Makes me wonder why in the hell that “foriegner” served in the Taiwan military - was his self esteem not low enough?

i can tell just by your post that you’re a winner, taiwantim! :smiley:

sorry to say i’m just a poor taiwanese guy. i wish i could be a winner like you or those mainlanders. :frowning:

but why are you here in taiwan hanging out with the losers? shouldn’t you be on the mainland chilling with the winners as befits someone of your obvious winningness? maybe it’s one of those “white man’s burden” things where your presence alone on this island of losers makes the whole island better?

Quite impressive how such a high degree of both rancor and stupidity could be displayed in a single post.

i think timmy misses the point somewhat…lian chan, jimmy soong et al can fuck off back to china if they want and leave taiwan to the real taiwanese (ie; aboriginals, hokkien, hakka and english teachers)…nobody likes the KMT anyway and we could care less about the chinese civil war…

The result of investigation into Chinese beer has been released. DOH examined all the Chinese beer (except three brands whose distributors said there was no beer left for sample at all) in the local market, as well as Taiwanese and other imported brands, and “surprisingly” found that all the beer examined more or less contain formaldehyde, but all within 0.4 ppm, which is even lower than 0.9ppm, WHO’s standard for safe bottled drinking water.

However, DOH officials said China is one of the few countries in the world that allow formaldehyde being added into beer brewing process, and since we can’t know if formaldehyde is added or naturally produced in the brewing process from the investigation result, so officials requested all beer companies to provide information about brewing process. (extract from UDNnews )

Also, a related report from Taiwan News
etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/ … 441745.htm

Communism to Fascism. That sucks. Both of those -isms suck.

Idicators of a Fascist state:
Government uses mass propoganda to promote race worship:
(People’s Daily as well as most school textbooks talk endlessly about the glory of the Chinese people taking their rightful place in the world as a great nation)

Government finds scape goats for the country’s ills
(during the SARS scare when Beijing was under heavy attack for ignoring the problem, the government initially started the rumor that SARS was brought to China by an American- read foreign devil- woman from New Jersey) see article at asianresearch.org/articles/1387.html

Military has excessive influence on the government
(the most influential leader is still Jiang Ze-Min, head of the PLA, and architect of the PLA’s massive, multi-billion US dollar redesign and modernization projects)

A gov. that allow basic freedoms but does not allow criticism of the government and gives wide powers to police for search, seizure and arrest.
(Article 23 of HK’s constitution will simply bring it online with the mainland)

Yeah, I know, it sounds like Communism too. As I said, both -isms are dreadful. They share many characteristics. Communism justifies the above in the name of building a utopia for the working class or the peasant class (as in China’s case). Fascism is more blunt and crude; it justifies the above in the name of building a utopia for the race.

I don’t think the Chinese will be goose-stepping their way into Poland and killing Jews. There are no Jewish citizens in the PRC and Poland’s too damn far away.

But that doesn’t mean China’s not being thrust headlong into fascism. China already achieved near racial purity by expelling most foreign ‘devils’ in 1949 and they continue to oppress and discriminate against minorities in western China and Tibet. Taiwan, Mongolia, and sections of northern Viet Nam, India, and Russia belong to China in Beijing’s eyes.

Wow wow wow,
What are u guys talking about?
China sucks?
U mean the country or just the chinese govement? Or chinese people or chinese working condition or u mean chinese food? Let’s try to stay on the topic a little bit.
There are always some good and bad voices out there for everything that happens. but also some people out there always know to look at the bothsides of the story.
First if u haven’t been to china, i suggest u to shut the f-beep-k up under this topic.
Hey man, u are looking at a country with 1.4 billion people live there, put all these number of the people in your country , probably your country can’t even keep all over them survive for a f-beep-king week.
And yes, most of the people working under a very very bad condition, but hey that’s why the things are so cheap in china, image u paid 3 rmb =12 taiwan yuan for a bowl of beef noodle. That’s how they keep them or most of them surive . And if u have a better idea, how to keep everything works ,please tell us here, i’s appreciate it.
And can u really live without china? If u can, then please do it instead of bi-a-tching about it . Try to not go to china, not use chinese made stuff, and change your f-beep-king birthplace into taiwan(to some of u), ask the taiwan goverment to use taiwan on the passport . and don’t eat chinese food anymore if u really hate china, eat taiwan food, speak minnahua, yea right, tell goverment to ask schools stop teaching kids to speak mandarin, please do…
And excuse me, can u find out why so many of you guys (the other people from your country that still stay in china, i thought u said china sucks eh? Probably they can tell u why)
hey everybody is learning, so does the country .

willing to hear from u.

and this is me, thinking

Why? Because there is no internet or newspapers or magazines or television or radio or even any other people who have been to China and who might have told us about China?

One does not need to have been to China to know about China and to form an opinion about China.

How many of China’s citizens have opinions about the United States? How many of them have been to the United States? How many of China’s citizens have opinions about Taiwan? How many of them have been to Taiwan?

OK?

[quote=“Rake”]…
And Can you really live without China? …[/quote]

yes, we can.

Probably almost all of them.

Percentage-wise, almost none.

And how many of these opinions are mostly full of shit? You know, people thinking you can get shot walking down any street in America, or that every American woman has slept around as much as the women on Sex in the City. A good deal, I reckon.

Just about everyone.

Again, almost none.

And again, how many of these opinions are bullshit? How many Chinese people think that a sizeable majority of Taiwanese people want to push reunification?

OK. People whose primary source of information of a country is from their own media or popular culture have a higher percentage of bullshit opinions than people who have actually visited the country and interacted with the people. You can point to plenty of exceptions either way, but that’s a reasonable rule of thumb.

That’s not to say that some dorky waiguoren who has lived for a couple years in China has a monopoly on a “true” understanding of China. Indeed, I’d argue that (especially with the case of China) wandering around the brightly lit cities with their shiny new buildings and talking with people who care so much about face and hiding any sort of negatives about their own society, that visiting China can give you a false impression of what life is really like for a lot of people.

Nonetheless, relying on your own domestic newspaper articles is a poor subtitute for first-hand experience for forming an opinion on another country that isn’t completely half-assed.