Rebar + bank runs

This was supposed to happen a few years ago… after the KMT lost the presidency… but not loosing the LY made it go and go until something big happened. Now, I hope they will start revealing the names of the big debtors (some saying that legislators or good friends are there), so the cleansing can start…

really… they put a new head of the country, but didn’t clean up the mess beneath him.

The pair of odious mega-thieves (Wang and wife 4) are at the airport in Singapore now, having flown in from the US this morning. Singapore has declared them persona non grata and refused them admission to their country. The Taiwanese authorities are desperately trying to persuade the Singaporeans to put them on a plane to Taiwan, but I’ll bet they’ll be allowed to head on to Burma (their original destination) or just be sent back to the US, and thus continue to escape the clutches of justice.

If the Singaporeans do let them go, I’ll be totally disgusted with that little city state; but if they send them here, they’ll rise enormously in my estimation. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that they make the right and only defensible decision.

The very latest news - just breaking - is very encouraging. It’s being reported that the Singaporean authorities have agreed to hand over the Wangs to Taiwanese justice officials to bring back to Taiwan. What great news, if it turns out to be true!

Watch it Omni, you’re backing yourself into a position of lifetime support for Singapore!

HG

They’ll deserve the highest plaudits if they can deliver these loathsome fugitives.

Currently there’s a bit of an impasse. The Singaporeans want to put the Wangs on a US-bound flight that will stop in Taiwan, so that they can be arrested once the plane lands on Taiwanese territory. But the Wangs are making a big scene, refusing to board, and demanding to be allowed to get on a direct flight back to the US. Let’s hope the Singaporeans will stand firm and not allow these criminals to squirm free.

There was another interesting development in the case last night on the TV news. Just the day before fleeing the country, Mr. Wang paid a visit to the Legislative Yuen and was caught on high-rez celluloid by a filmmaker who just happened to be filming nearby.

He got out of his black luxury sedan after an LY guardsman came to the curb to open the door for him.

Funny how nobody remembered this visit until now. Reporters started asking around and Wang Jin-pyn admitted having a small chat with the fugitive, saying that Wang popped in to say hello after meeting with some other (unspecified so far, I believe) legislators.

Well, well, well. They will have a hard time keeping this one under the rug.

The thing that stuns me about this case is how many people Wang seemed to have working on a big plan that appeared designed to benefit no one but himself and Wife4 (creepy looking woman, she is). It appears that at least a few dozen people knowingly put bad numbers into wrong columns and so on just because they were asked to do so by someone sitting way high up in the guanxi tree. I wonder if any of them are asking themselves why. I hope they all get in big trouble.

And yes, I too will sing Singapore’s praises if she sends Wang back in manacles. What a lovely sight that would be. I’ll be tempted to go to the airport just to jeer.

Damn, the rats have escaped.

Eternal shame on Singapore for letting them go!

They were allowed to board a direct flight to LA at 4 pm.

The only slight ray of hope is that Wang will encounter further problems when he arrives at LA. He used his Dominican Republic passport to fly from the US to Singapore, and Taiwan has managed to get the Dominican government to cancel that. Unlike his wife, he doesn’t have a US passport, and all the other passports that he’s known to hold have already been canceled. If he doesn’t have another passport up his sleeve, he could and should be refused entry to the US.

Of course, he probably has as many passports as he’ll ever need, but I’ll cling to this small possibility that he may at last have been cornered and outfoxed, and will end up being put on a plane to Taiwan by the US immigration authorities.

Why did Wang leave the US? Was the US considering taking actions against him?

He must have believed he was in real danger if he stayed in the US, or else it’s hard to imagine why he’d make a run for Burma.

Let’s hope he had good cause for thinking so, and that the US will eventually help repatriate him to Taiwan.

If the US has any sense whatsoever, there’ll be cops waiting for the Wangs at the terminal. The couple are, after all, international fugitives. But then there’s probably some kink in the works, such as non-recognition of the ROC, or financial ties with influential US businesspeople…

I still remember how when Marcos was exiled to Hawaii, the US government treated him like a king rather than a criminal…

My girlfriend just told me some of the details on the news reports. Taiwan sent some agents to Singapore to intercept him. Singapore didn’t assist in arresting him, only refusing him entry. The Taiwanese agents spent quite a while trying to convince him to board a plane to Taiwan that was waiting on the runway with delayed passengers on board cursing his existence. Rather than follow them onto the plane, he cried. :boo-hoo:

Stations are currently showing clips from The Terminal.

Another interesting thing I forgot to mention here: his Wife4 called her place of work a couple days ago to ask that they be sure to deposit her salary and annual bonus into the right bank account. That’s class.

I can’t wait to hear the English news tonight. :slight_smile:

Oh look, RTI just put up a report:

[quote] Rebar fugitive couple head back to Los Angeles
Rebar group founder Wang You-theng and his wife returned to Asia on Friday – only to leave again for Los Angeles.

On Friday the Wangs arrived at Singapore’s international airport from Los Angeles on their way to Myanmar. The couple are accused of embezzling billions of dollars in corporate funds. They are on Taiwan’s most-wanted list.

Taiwanese law enforcement officers intended to repatriate the Wangs from Singapore. However, Taiwan and Singapore do not have a formal repatriation agreement. The Wangs also refused to board a flight that would send them back to Taiwan. Finally the couple took a flight back to Los Angeles.

Taiwan has revoked Wang You-theng’s Taiwanese and Dominican Republic passports through diplomatic channels. If Wang does not have other valid travel documents he will be refused entry by US authorities. However, Wang’s wife will not have the same problem as she has a US passport.[/quote]

Excuse me. It wasn’t Wang who cried, but his Wife4. Wang himself lay down on the floor and threatened to stop eating or something.

Also clarified on the FTV report: upon returning to LAX Wang should be able to reenter the US by spending some time in the airport detention while his Wife4 reenters and then applies to have Wang admitted as her spouse.

Their destination of Burma is a prime choice for Taiwanese fugitives according the the report. Not on the English report, but on some of the Chinese ones, there was a trap set for Wang. [color=red]The flight (Singapore Air I think) to Burma was going to detour to Taiwan so he could be arrested, but somehow he found out.[/color]

I am still waiting for the journalists to get around to exploring the KMT Central Standing Committee longtime member angle on things. But I remain confident this will become important eventually.

The latest news is that their flight arrived at LA more than a couple of hours ago, but there’s still been no sighting of the Wangs. Taiwanese officials are at the airport doing their best to persuade the US immigration authorities to put the fugitives on a plane to Taiwan, but their chances of succeeding are not rated very high (especially as the woman is an American citizen).

At least it was pleasing to hear that the Wangs had to sit in economy class on the Singapore-LA flight. I hope they were extremely uncomfortable, stressed out and fatigued.

Taiwan has never minded sheltering Taiwanese who are wanted in the US. The US should tell the Taiwanese to go piss up a rope.

So, you think the US should respond to wrongdoers by wrongdoing?

So, you think the US should respond to wrongdoers by wrongdoing?[/quote]

Taiwan has stated it would never extradite an ROC citizen to stand trial in another nation. Taiwanese murderers have been able to escape to Taiwan and live very comfortable lives here. Screw’em.

No, no. I was right the first time. Taipei Times reported that it was indeed the male scoundrel who was weeping at the airport.

Does physically catching the man greatly affect how much of the missing money can be recovered?

It looks like Wang’s been detained by US immigration due to his canceled passport. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

So, you think the US should respond to wrongdoers by wrongdoing?[/quote]

Taiwan has stated it would never extradite an ROC citizen to stand trial in another nation. Taiwanese murderers have been able to escape to Taiwan and live very comfortable lives here. Screw’em.[/quote]

Especially when the murderers were ROC govt hitmen.

[quote]On 15 October 1984, Mr. Henry Liu, a prominent Chinese-American journalist, was murdered at his home in Daly City, a suburb of San Francisco. The case has received wide international attention because of the subsequent revelations that the murder was committed by three underworld figures from Taiwan on the order of top-officials of the Military Intelligence Bureau of the Ministry of Defense. . .

the person accused of masterminding the murder, Bamboo Union gangleader Chen Chi-li,had admitted to planning the killing with three top-officials of the Military Intelligence Bureau of the Ministry of Defense. The three officials had been arrested in Taiwan on January 15, after the Taiwan authorities learned that the U.S. FBI had obtained atape-recording made by Chen Chi-li implicating the three in planning the murder . . .

“Bamboo Union” gangleader Chen Chi-li and two of his gangmembers were indicted by a Taipei prosecutor on murder charges. . .

almost immediately members of the ruling Kuomintang voiced the opinion that the two gang members who had been arrested in Taiwan in November (the third one reportedly fled to the Philippines and was in hiding there) should not be extradited to the United States. . .

The attempt by certain Taiwan authorities to portray Mr. Liu as a “spy” is most likely a desperate attempt to avoid facing the truth of the matter, which is that Mr. Liu was murdered because he had written an unflattering biography of President Chiang Ching-kuo, and was planning to write a book about former governor K.C. Wu, who was one of the very few incorruptible officials in Chiang Kai-shek’s government in the 1940’s and 1950’s. The book would in all probability bring to light a considerable amount of additional dirty linen of the Chiang family. . .

Congressman Solarz gave a brief background statement. . .

“I cannot exaggerate the sense of outrage which the reported involvement ofofficials of the Taiwan government in the murder of an American citizen onAmerican soil provokes in me. The genius of the American system ‘of governmentis that it offers broad opportunities for people politically to think, speak, and act asthey wish. It should not offer any opportunity whatsoever to foreign government topunish critics of their regimes who reside in the United States. . . .

Part of my outrage stems from the knowledge that this is not the first time thatTaiwan has abused the freedoms of individuals in the United States. In the past, there have been numerous credible charges of surveillance, intimidation, and harassment in the United States by agents of Taiwan’s intelligence services, particularly with respect to Taiwanese students in our country. . ."[/quote]

But, then again, maybe the US was equally at blame in that case for failing to try to bring the murderers to justice, lest it upset US relations with the murderous KMT regime.

taiwandc.org/twcom/tc19-int.pdf

Of course, that was in the bad old days of the KMT. Today’s government of Taiwan, while still incompetent and corrupt, no longer hires hits on whistleblowers and dissidents. . . at least to the extent it once did. But Taiwan’s government is still incompetent, corrupt and does a poor job living up to “international standards of justice” and the rule of law (although admittedly the US has lowered those standards in recent years).

While most americans couldn’t care less whether some billionaire Chinese thief gets sent back to Taiwan, sentiment would be different if Taiwan were requesting extradition of a young, white English teacher to face the death penalty in Taiwan for selling drugs.

Anyway, we’ll find out soon enough. The bastard is now sitting in an immigration detention center in California, waiting to argue his case.

Why does the teacher need to be white? And when was the last time anyone was killed, especially a foreigner, for using or dealing drugs?