Rebuilding the Search Index

I’ve just started rebuilding the search index - this could take hours (or days). Please do not expect the search function to work very well until the new index is completely defined

The forum indexing is done!

Whew - that took a week. For you stat junkies out there, there were 421,355 words indexed and 26,318,743 word-to-post relationships

Please let us know how the search function works for you. Remember to be smart with your searching - if you were, say, to search for the word “Taiwan” you aren’t likely going to get anywhere useful. But if you narrow your search using the various options in the search form (like specifying the Forum), your effectiveness will undoubtedly improve

More tweaks and modifications will be made to the search function, and I’ll look to follow the lead of phpBB.com itself and add an alternative search box (like a Google Custom Search, maybe). Your ideas on how to make things easier are welcome

Thanks Goose Egg! Seems to be working fairly well. One thing I miss is the availability of a “search this forum” function once you’re already in a forum area; having to click the current top-right Search link before being able to search, and then having to also specify the forum you were originally in is two extra steps, which is of course much slower.

Others have said the site is working more quickly for them, but I find that pages sometimes load slowly, which makes the above extra steps worse.

Not a huge deal, but I’d love to have that ‘search this forum’ thing back at some point.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Thanks Goose Egg! Seems to be working fairly well. One thing I miss is the availability of a “search this forum” function once you’re already in a forum area; having to click the current top-right Search link before being able to search, and then having to also specify the forum you were originally in is two extra steps, which is of course much slower.

Others have said the site is working more quickly for them, but I find that pages sometimes load slowly, which makes the above extra steps worse.

Not a huge deal, but I’d love to have that ‘search this forum’ thing back at some point.[/quote]
I hear you - the function is actually there, but it was (unintentionally) removed by the CSS author. This version of the forum software also has a search in TOPIC feature (which is tucked at the very bottom of the viewtopic pages). Let’s think of a good place to put that, too :slight_smile:

Wazzat?

Wazzat?[/quote]
At the moment, it is the search box above the upper let corner of the Site Map. It is labelled “Search for:” - this is an in topic search box

[quote=“Goose Egg”]More tweaks and modifications will be made to the search function, and I’ll look to follow the lead of phpBB.com itself and add an alternative search box (like a Google Custom Search, maybe). Your ideas on how to make things easier are welcome[/quote]That would be a good idea, it would save canaries on our server. Several sites use a google search box.