Receiving verification numbers for overseas bank/credit card matters

Not sure if everyone will understand what I am referring to by the topic heading. I have had to deal with my overseas (USA) credit card companies for instance to make large purchase of airline tickets and also to try to raise my credit limit. However to do this they must send a verification number to a cell phone in the USA. I have numbers listed (family members numbers is the USA) but cannot access them at same time as I am talking to the person on the phone. Even when doing it online is difficult. Has anyone dealt with this before? How do you handle it?

Get a cheap android phone in the US, put your US SIM card in, then get an app that forwards all texts to an email account that you can access. Whenever you get a text to that number you can just check your email instead. You could also use a virtual number, but many banks don’t accept them. Another option is going with a US carrier that works in Taiwan, my UK carrier (giffgaff) works in Taiwan just fine. I use an iPhone so I have my Taiwan SIM card set up as a virtual SIM, then my UK physical SIM in the phone. I receive all texts sent to my UK number as normal.

Google voice number.

I was dealing with this when trying to fix a problem with my credit card in the US. The credit card company wanted a US phone number, and only a US phone number, to send verification texts to. The helpful rep suggested an app called TextNow. You’re issued a US phone number that’s basically for receiving texts. It works perfectly for this situation.

I still use it; if you pay an annual fee of like US$5 you can keep the same phone number.

1 Like