Recent changes to APRC requirement re: duration of stay?

I have recently heard from one long-termer in Taiwan that he is “SURE” that you only need to reside in Taiwan for 5 year (instead of seven) to be elligible for the APRC. He said this was due to recent changes in regulations and that a friend of his got his APRC after being here only 5.5 years.

Can anyone verify or refute this claim??

Many thanks…

ROLF

Seems I’m not allowed an APRC, I’ve been here too long :unamused:

5 years of marriage / 7 years of work
or something like that

[quote=“salmon”]5 years of marriage / 7 years of work
or something like that[/quote]

Is it five years or three? I was told that three years and I would be eligible for a PARC. I will ask again when I go for ARC renewal on the 18th.

I had understood that it was 5 years if you are married to an ROC citizen, and it mentioned nothing about having to be working for that 5 years period, although you need to provide TAX certs for the last three years and prove you have a sufficent income

Here’s the link

tcpsung.gov.tw/english/aprc.htm

[quote]Foreigner spouses of Taiwan nationals who have been in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year for five consecutive years will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Foreigner spouses who have spent 183 days per year in any 5 years within a period of 10 consecutive years will be eligible to apply for permanent residency… [/quote]

Will somebody please tell me how much sense this makes. Why don’t they just say five out of ten years as the above means that just as much as the second condition.

Gotta love Taiwan’s bureaucracy.

One more question: What benefits does APRC entitle one to? What are the advantages for someone holding a JFRV ARC?

[quote=“ludahai”][quote]Foreigner spouses of Taiwan nationals who have been in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year for five consecutive years will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Foreigner spouses who have spent 183 days per year in any 5 years within a period of 10 consecutive years will be eligible to apply for permanent residency… [/quote]

Will somebody please tell me how much sense this makes. Why don’t they just say five out of ten years as the above means that just as much as the second condition.

Gotta love Taiwan’s bureaucracy.[/quote]

5 consecutive hears means a continous period of 5 years

The 5 out of ten years means the 5 years does not have to be consectutive but must amount to a total of 5 years within a 10 year period

One for one I think they are the same allowing you to do the same thing i.e work freely without a work permit, allow you to reside in Taiwan. Although in theory once you get the APRC you have got it for life and should not need to renew it. Also if you ever get a divorce your JFR Visa and ARC would be cancelled

There are also more requirements for getting the APRC mostly financial

Of course there is still the requirement that you be present in Taiwan for 183 or is it 270 days or you loose it and have to reapply, go through the process of getting all these documents again. What a bullshit rule, my wife gets Irish Citizenship after 3 years of marriage even if she had never set foot in Ireland

You must lodge your application before 30 November 2005.

irelandemb.org/citizen_changes.html

Five years if married to an ROC citizen. It’s the time in Taiwan that matters, not the length of marriage. People should be able to be in Taiwan for five years and then apply the day of their marriage. But good luck trying to tell that to the foreign affairs police in Banqiao. :imp: