Recent internet ripoffs

In another thread I said that if a software program or service is offered for free, I want to know why. Take sms.ac, for example. Have you received e-mails apparently from your friends inviting you to join this service. Why would a business want to let you send SMS messages for free? Could it be that they want to harvest mobile phone numbers and e-mail accounts and spam them? I seems that is just what they do - and then charge you for it. Check out this forum

:thumbsdown:
Ripoff!

Spam free? Spam ridden, more like!

Another one that has come up recently is Smiley Central. The program butted in on an instant messenger conversation I was having with someone, trying to get me to sign on and get thousands of smiley choices for my IMs. Like I really need that. It is also being advertised on various websites. Don’t download it - it is pernicious adware that is hard to uninstall - in the tradition of Comet Cursor, Bonzi Buddy and other such crap.

:thumbsdown:
Rubbish!

Some people do fall for this stuff.

Cheers for the heads up about that SMS.ac

I actually received one of those invitations this morning, didn’t sign up or anything, but forwarded that link to the person from whom the invite had come.