Recent problems using US ATM cards in Taiwan?

I’ve been using my US bank’s ATM card here for years with no problems, until last week. The card was retained by an ATM for no clear reason. It was returned, only to be retained again the next time I used it.

I called my bank to explain the situation and got some surprising news. According to the woman I spoke with, there have been too many ‘problems’ (scams) in Asia using US ATM cards. As a result, some banks (mine included) no longer allow the use of their ATM cards in Asia.

The woman admitted that she wasn’t fully up-to-date on the situation and that it may or may not be permanent.

Has anyone heard any similar news or had similar problems?

It all seems a bit strange and heavy-handed to me…

[quote=“mildsevenlights”]I’ve been using my US bank’s ATM card here for years with no problems, until last week. The card was retained by an ATM for no clear reason. It was returned, only to be retained again the next time I used it.

I called my bank to explain the situation and got some surprising news. According to the woman I spoke with, there have been too many ‘problems’ (scams) in Asia using US ATM cards. As a result, some banks (mine included) no longer allow the use of their ATM cards in Asia.

The woman admitted that she wasn’t fully up-to-date on the situation and that it may or may not be permanent.

Has anyone heard any similar news or had similar problems?

It all seems a bit strange and heavy-handed to me…[/quote]

I’ve heard of people having problems lately but the bank explanations always seem different. I would pursue an answer a little higher up on the food chain.

Thanks. That’s my plan. Just waiting for Monday.
Which other explanations have you heard?

[quote=“mildsevenlights”]Thanks. That’s my plan. Just waiting for Monday.
Which other explanations have you heard?[/quote]
My experience is with Australian credit and ATM cards. I’ve been caught out with denied CC cards and ATM cards here because, according to my bank, too much fraud is occuring in Asia and there is now a default block on transactions outside Australia. The cardholder MUST contact their bank and have the block removed to use their card outside Australia. When I pointed out that my address has been Taipei for 3 years there was a long pause on the phone. I asked about a permanent waiver for Taiwan, HK, Thailand & Malaysia(for Holidays etc) they said it couldn’t be done! If I asked for a blanket waiver for the rest of the world they said they would then not be liable for ANY fraudulent transaction on any of my cards :fume:

Wow, that doesn’t sound good. I can almost understand a bank not allowing it’s ATM cards to be used in certain areas, considering banks don’t make money on ATM withdrawals. But CCs, too?

Come to think of it, I’ve always been very suspicious of the Cirrus, Plus, NYCE logo stickers they affix to machines here. I’ve often been unable to use machines with the correct system, for no apparent reason. It’s been my suspicion that those Cirrus logos are for sale at night markets, and that banks put them on for the same reason women like fake LV bags.

“Wow! That ATM is so fashion!

I’ll be talking with a banker higher up the food chain next week and let ya’ll know what I hear.

Come to think of it, any people who haven’t had problems feel free to respond also.

[quote=“mildsevenlights”]Wow, that doesn’t sound good. I can almost understand a bank not allowing it’s ATM cards to be used in certain areas, considering banks don’t make money on ATM withdrawals. But CCs, too?

Come to think of it, I’ve always been very suspicious of the Cirrus, Plus, NYCE logo stickers they affix to machines here. I’ve often been unable to use machines with the correct system, for no apparent reason. It’s been my suspicion that those Cirrus logos are for sale at night markets, and that banks put them on for the same reason women like fake LV bags.

I’ll be talking with a banker higher up the food chain next week and let ya’ll know what I hear.[/quote]

So what did you hear?

Time to buy a safe/money box and keep your money in the house, play your own bank … cash is the future, plastic is out … global community … banks … ha!

Apparantly there are now some changes in place. My daughter has had a dup of my China Trust ATM card in the States for several years. She has always been able to pull money as an inexpensive way to make transfers. Last month it stopped working. China Trust could offer no explanation and suggested I change the PIN. This also did not work. Is anyone using a Taiwan bank where the card presently works abroad? Where? I will need to make a change but I’m not sure which bank to use. I already have several accounts open so I don’t want to open any more if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
So what did you hear?[/quote]

Sorry about the delay.

It turns out that the 1st banker did not know what she was talking about. The bank was unable to explain why the card was retained. However they cancelled it and issued a new one.

They did explain one catch which might be useful to know. When using this (and possibly other) US bank’s ATM cards, the very 1st use must be inside the US. After that, they can be used internationally.

I still believe that the Cirrus, Nyce etc. stickers on ATMs here serve the primary function of fashion accessory. If you find an ATM that works consistantly with your overseas card, it’s a good idea to stick with that bank’s ATMs.

[quote=“mildsevenlights”]Wow, that doesn’t sound good. I can almost understand a bank not allowing it’s ATM cards to be used in certain areas, considering banks don’t make money on ATM withdrawals. But CCs, too?

I’ll be talking with a banker higher up the food chain next week and let ya’ll know what I hear.[/quote]

I still have three UK bank accounts, two with Cirrus facilities and one with Plus. The Plus is kind of sketchy but the only bank that doesn’t accept my NatWest Cirrus card is Taishin Shitternational. (PS - to other British Forumosans, NatWest have improved loads over the past few years and I’m often very grateful I held onto my accounts there).

The worst performers seem to be US Visa debit cards, which give visiting friends no end of grief. On one occasion we literally drove around and tried over 30 ATMs before we found one that worked (a ChinaTrust machine in RT Mart - even the CT machines in CT banks didn’t work for whatever reason banks have for this kind of thing).

I have an HSBC account in the US and was in Taiwan visiting a sick relative last week. Tried to use the ATM in the Tien Mu branch and it wouldn’t work…kept telling me I had the wrong pin. I called the HSBC US number to see what was up and they said nothing is blocking my account. So I confirmed with them that HSBC uses a 5 digit pin. Two separate CS reps confirmed it. Went to another Taipei branch and it still wouldn’t work. The day before I left Taipei I went back to the Tien Mu branch and on the first try it still didn’t work. I figure I would try the 6 digit pin and it worked. I hate it when I have bank accounts that uses either a 4, 5 or 6 digit pins…too confusing and I’d hate for the ATM to sieze my card.

Having said that, I would only use my ATM card at a HSBC branch when overseas. This gives me a little peace of mind that some 3rd party ATM wouldn’t record my card number. Another plus is I don’t get charged any ATM fees nor a conversion fee. Worked in Taipei and in Singapore. My first withdrawal outside the US was in Singapore and I did it to test HSBC’s “Your World Local Bank” claim (hee hee hee). Oh, and I don’t have the Premier acct which has better global perks…just a regular one.

I’ve been in Taipei for a few weeks and have yet to find a bank that will accept my Wells Fargo Visa (w/ Plus) check card. I’ve received about half a dozen different error codes telling me my pin was wrong, that my bank didn’t respond, or that there was a fee problem. Wells Fargo charges a 5$ fee for each ATM withdrawal. Does anyone know what various different major banks charge to use a US check card? And what exchange rate is given for ATM withdrawals? Is it best to press VISA or PLUS when they are two separate options on the screen? Hopefully this all works out soon before I run out of funds and have to borrow from a friend.

How much are you trying to withdraw.

i recall my Danish Mastercard many a blue moon ago.

If I tried NT$20k no cigar, if I tried NT$10k money time.

Just an idea, I might be off.

I’ve been able to use my Mastercard ATM card (pressing “Cirrus”) with no issues. Main downside is that certain banks seem to charge a hefty conversion fee for foreign currency accounts…

A few likely issues:

1. Your bank locked your card because you didn’t tell them you were going overseas (or you did, but they didn’t listen) and they think they’re preventing fraudulent access

2. Your bank locked your card because you really did screw up the PIN too many times

3. As already suggested, you’re attempting to withdraw beyond your transaction/daily limit, or you don’t have enough cash in the account.

4. You’re choosing the wrong option (ie Visa instead of Plus). Maybe it’s attempting to make a credit card cash advance instead of debit card withdrawal.

I’d recommend calling the bank first thing. If the card’s locked, they can tell you & help fix the problem. If you keep trying to use it, you may wind up at an ATM that eats rejected cards & then you’ll really be screwed.

Thanks to all. Turns out that the problem was entirely with me. I recently received two new PINS, one for my credit card, one for my check card. I had them switched…