Recognized accelerators by Taiwan

^ This.
Craftsmanship has its value, just not for a venture capitalist.

In any case, you have to have your plans in mind already. Where do you want to go? Who do you want to serve? What can you offer that no one else can?
You must have the answers to these questions before even start looking for an investor, whether an angel, venture capitalist, or even family and friends.

Sounds like being a showman or salesman is more important than anything else…

What do you mean?!
Sales are an essential part of a business.
If you want to run one, you must be able to sell! If not, at least partner with someone who does. Otherwise, you may have the best product/service in the world, but no one would know about that. And if they don’t know, how would they buy it?

1 Like

That’s the problem. People who are good at sales will not help me with it at any price.

Perhaps with an angel investor I could afford to hire someone to do this.

So it looks like being bad at sales just makes you the bottom of a ladder because you could be the best engineer, scientist, etc. but you suck at sales, it doesn’t matter.

This is why I envy those people who have such social skills. They can make anything happen.

But how about independent contractors? You know like guys who do landscaping, painting, plumbing, etc., how do they sell? They are not salesperson, they’re plumbers, electricians, etc.

When it comes to work, everyone is in sales. Better to realize it sooner.

Doesn’t mean you have to be a schmoozer, just that you have to be mindful that people judge their interaction with you even if they don’t realize it.

Maybe your business idea is to launch a crowd funding service in Taiwan. You’ve already found an unmet need. Then keep the guitar shop as your tax shelter. :wink:

2 Likes

I think @finley said he was into microfinance.

What exactly is microfinance? and what kind of amounts can you loan on microfinance?

Suppose I want to buy a used lathe at say 40,000nt. Is this something microfinance can help with?

Typically accelerators have a summer and winter batch so you need to apply a couple months ahead of time and do some planning.

I went through an accelerator in Taiwan, they didn’t take equity, helped me promote my startup and hire local talent so in the end it was worth it. Some of the startups they take in just to build their brand (i.e. founders or startups with lots of achievements), and a few they’ll take in at the idea stage. A tech startup needs to be scalable, and they have to believe that you’re the right team to work on it. Also depends on the quality of applicants in your batch.

2 Likes

Is there some sort of group / place for startups looking for technical co-founders / first developers in Taiwan?

I’ve had a few failed projects myself where I was unable to find product market fit, but am pretty good at taking an idea from 0 to MVP on my own (and have been a professional dev for 6 years) – I’m starting to wonder if I should pair with a more business oriented person.

There are a couple of events around.
Try signing up for Startup Digest Taipei to see some in Taipei/New Taipei.

1 Like

Came across a couple meetup groups (they were active before COVID but unsure of current status):

3 Likes