Recognized degrees

Hey everyone. How’s it going? I’m alright. Just a thought I had. I’ve thought about pursuing a degree from University of Phoenix. Anyone here have any views on whether or not a degree from UofP would be recognized and accepted by Taiwan authorities? Or is University of Phoenix viewed as just another “degree” mill? Just thought I’d ask.

Alias

Distance/online degrees are not recognized by the Taiwanese government.

I just finished a degree from the University of Phoenix online. For me since I am a ROC citizen getting an ARC is not an issue and as far as I know private businesses don’t really care. Now for getting an ARC whether or not a degree is recognized might be an issue. University of Phoenix is not a 100% online university by the way they do have an actual (several actually) campus location. The degree can be completed either online or offline. I am in the process of getting the degree recognized by the TECO office (you know Taiwan embassy) and they don’t seem to have a problem with recognizing that. The university is accredited so I don’t think you need to worry about them being a degree mill, and the online courses are not as easy as you’d think!

I did UOP only because none of the universities in Taiwan are recognized anywhere outside of Taiwan (except NTU maybe, and that’s hard to get in) but most universities in America are recognized elsewhere.

[quote=“rahimiiii”]
I did UOP only because none of the universities in Taiwan are recognized anywhere outside of Taiwan (except NTU maybe, and that’s hard to get in) but most universities in America are recognized elsewhere.[/quote]

This is not true.

[quote=“xtrain”][quote=“rahimiiii”]
I did UOP only because none of the universities in Taiwan are recognized anywhere outside of Taiwan (except NTU maybe, and that’s hard to get in) but most universities in America are recognized elsewhere.[/quote]

This is not true.[/quote]

Well fact of the matter is that for me to get into a Taiwanese university (when all my credentials are all in the US) I’d have to take the entrance exam and there’s no way I can pass any of them because they’re in Chinese and most of the time they test on proverbs (which I have no clue about)

[quote=“rahimiiii”][quote=“xtrain”][quote=“rahimiiii”]

Well fact of the matter is that for me to get into a Taiwanese university (when all my credentials are all in the US) I’d have to take the entrance exam and there’s no way I can pass any of them because they’re in Chinese and most of the time they test on proverbs (which I have no clue about)[/quote]

First, this is not what you stated above, nor does it have much to do with your statement above. Second, there are university programs now that do not require a Chinese test.

[quote=“xtrain”][quote=“rahimiiii”]

Please, Rahimmi, clarify this point as to not perpetuate this myth. You can say that Taiwan universities are not famous, and that their names are not as easily “recognizable” -to perceive to be something or someone previously known- as, say, Harvard, but the other use or meaning of the word “recognized” -: to admit as being of a particular status- might make other people think that a degree here is useless outside of the island, which is not true.

However, I do understand that as a Taiwanese citizen, you are forced to take the entrance tests, and as someone broght up in the States, that is an almost impossible task. I’d like to know if you tried the Overseas Chinese preparatory -the one that helps overseas young people prepare for college examinations- or more details about your experience.

I don’t know anything about the overseas chinese preparatory. One of my biggest troubles other than proverbs (which is really difficult, it’s completely different than the chinese we are used to know) is that I can’t really write Chinese at all. To complicate matters more is that I can’t really transfer my existing credits to universities in Taiwan, well I could but they are very limited and I would basically be studying the whole four years all over again and any past credits taken would be wasted. Now the credits I did take previously are transferable to the University of Phoenix with the exception of a few (like CLEP exams because there are no foreign language requirements in the degree, also a couple of courses that had “F” which wouldn’t transfer anywhere) so I only did a little more than two years at the university of phoenix to complete my degree.

I did take other tests in Chinese, namely tests to get into government job and I did horrible. There is a Chinese and an English test but the English was a little confusing, and the Chinese I totally bombed it. I got something like 2 in Chinese and 76 in English. I am sorry about my generalizations about Taiwanese university but that’s what some Taiwanese students were telling me that alot of degrees in Taiwan are not really recognized elsewhere. Perhaps the better universities like NTU, Shi-da, Dan Kang University and others (mostly public) are but they are impossible for someone who grew up in America to get into. Those universities are hard enough for Taiwanese already.

Still, your first consideration was your own circunstances. We are not challenging that, and we do understand that is a valid and actually smart decision, economical and quick.

However, heresay by “some” Taiwanese is not a good basis for decisions. It has no logical validation, unless a degree is from a fly by night college, it wil not be acepted here not anywhere else, in the same way as degrees from uncertified universities by their own governments in their respective countries are not accepted here, either. This we challenge now and ever: Taiwanese university degrees are as valid here as anywhere else, they have no “shame” or lack anything because they are from Taiwan. It perpetuates the idea that “this is not a country, so we have no rights/no value/no significance”. Otherwise, how come we can sell mangoes, Ipods, and computers if all our papaerwork is null?

[quote=“rahimiiii”]that’s what some Taiwanese students were telling me that alot of degrees in Taiwan are not really recognized elsewhere.[/quote]Well I did hear a rumor that PRC China puts pressure on countries not to recognize degrees from Taiwanese Univiersities. I could be wrong though. :blah: [quote=“rahimiiii”]University of Phoenix is not a 100% online university by the way they do have an actual (several actually) campus location. The degree can be completed either online or offline. I am in the process of getting the degree recognized by the TECO office (you know Taiwan embassy) and they don’t seem to have a problem with recognizing that. The university is accredited so I don’t think you need to worry about them being a degree mill, and the online courses are not as easy as you’d think![/quote]When it does get legalized, could you let me know? [quote=“rahimiiii”]For me since I am a ROC citizen getting an ARC is not an issue[/quote]Why would you need a degree to teach English in Taiwan anyway? You’re an ROC Taiwan citizen. Shouldn’t you be able to just walk into your own country and pick up work anywhere? I always thought that the degrees were only needed for non ROCTaiwan citizens to qualify for a work permit to teach English.

I don’t know I hadn’t been too successful finding work as a Teacher in the past… I don’t know if it’s because they have different requirements for non foreigners or something. I hear now it’s better because more and more schools are looking for Taiwanese native speakers… I hope that’s true because now I am looking for work.

[quote=“rahimiiii”]I don’t know I hadn’t been too successful finding work as a Teacher in the past… I don’t know if it’s because they have different requirements for non foreigners or something. I hear now it’s better because more and more schools are looking for Taiwanese native speakers… I hope that’s true because now I am looking for work.[/quote]Well I barely know enough about the requirements for foreigners from English speaking countries. You can correct me if I’m wrong.

1. University degree
    or
  2. 2 year college diploma in combination with a TESOL certificate
    or
  3. Marry a Taiwanese ROC citizen.

For me personally, I considered getting a simple 2 year diploma from lethbridgecollege.ab.ca after I googled University of Phoenix and found out that they don’t have the best reputation. I assumed that Taiwan wouldn’t recognize UofP. Not to mention that UofP also discriminates Taiwan by calling it a Province of PRC.

The Lethbridge college is a Canadian college close to where I’m from. Not a University. I already have a TESOL certificate and I hope that a 2 year college diploma in “General Studies” added on will qualify me for the work permit and ARC. :pray: I just wanna know how I can verify for sure that either Lethbridge College or University of Phoenix are recognized by the Taiwan government.

I guess I’ll let the more knowledgeable people answer this… I am not too clear on requirements for work ARC. I know many foreigners with ARC and have no college degree but they are not allowed have gainful employment. So I am guessing the college degree or 2 year+TESOL is for work visas. As far as online degree thing I don’t know… I mean every college could have bad reputations for whatever (including University of Texas at Austin) but it doesn’t hurt to ask what colleges are acceptable. I know that when I tried to have my degree verified by the Taiwan embassy they directed me to an organization called “National Student Clearinghouse” where they have me pay to have the degree verified and then send them the result then they will send the official word on them (some organizations in Taiwan requires this, like government jobs). I am guessing schools that are listed with that organization are acceptable to Taiwan embassy but not sure about getting visa.

[quote=“rahimiiii”]I guess I’ll let the more knowledgeable people answer this… I am not too clear on requirements for work ARC. I know many foreigners with ARC and have no college degree but they are not allowed have gainful employment. So I am guessing the college degree or 2 year+TESOL is for work visas.[/quote]Well how they get an ARC, I really don’t know. But I’m sure a person who isn’t allowed to be employed but still have an ARC, well they could always teach private lessons. Just don’t tell anyone. hehehe. How exactly would one get an ARC? Just fly into Taiwan on a regular tourist visa and just apply for an ARC at a government office? I’m sure I’ll find that out eventually :-).

Well what’s real annoying is when you email the Taiwan embassy and ask if such and such a University or college is accepted, and they don’t reply. Yeah. I purchased a degree from affordabledegrees.com and then contacted a school in Taiwan and when they checked with the government to see if it would be accepted, well Rochville University isn’t on their list. Then they said that I’d have to contact a “consulate” in my country (TECO center) and check with them. Well I contacted the one in Vancouver, but they then told me to contact the one in Texas due to the fact that’s where Rochville University is. But then, they never got back on that either. I’m just sharing a personal story here. Perhaps maybe I’d have to email the TECO office a few times. I understand they can be quite busy. I’d assume. But like you said, let’s let the more knowledgeable people explain all this. :smiley: :notworthy:

I heard that more than 50% of a degree must be taken physically in person at a university for it to be counted by the MOE. They would be able to see your transcripts, so I guess they would know how much was done online that way.

[quote=“twocs”]I heard that more than 50% of a degree must be taken physically in person at a university for it to be counted by the MOE. They would be able to see your transcripts, so I guess they would know how much was done online that way.[/quote]Your transcripts actually say what you did online? Never knew. Kinda sucks though. If University of Phoenix is accepted either way, normally I’d spend a couple years in China until I at least got an Associates degree. Then come to Taiwan. But I guess the best thing to do is to go to a college or University, get either a diploma or a degree and just kinda suck it up inside a classroom. This thread has gotten really interesting though :blah: :roflmao: :slight_smile:

Taiwan have been edging towards accepting online degrees, and perhaps Chinese degrees can be accepted in Taiwan, but no word on when online degrees will be okayed by the government.

You could do one of those dual degrees where you study at two universities and receive degrees from each of them. I know there are some Chinese universities participating, like https://www.cs.sfu.ca/undergrad/prospective/ddp/faq.html.

China is putting pressure on countries not to take any international postgraduate students from Taiwan, then?

I have no sense of what anyone means by “recognized” in this context. In western countries, issues are assessed individually on their merits. We don’t have hard and fast rules like they do in Taiwan, such as the one that says that no PhD degrees from universities in India or Ireland are recognized by the MOE for the purpose of faculty recruitment.

The job market for college-educated Taiwanese is pretty bad already, one of the things that makes jobs so competitive is how over-educated everyone is and the lack of good jobs available. College grads are working at coffee shops for 80NT an hour, so the 300NT an hour rate to be a local Chinese co-teacher in an English classroom is pretty sought after. Are you a US citizen? You don’t want to get categorized as a local Taiwanese teacher when really you should be competing as a “foreign” teacher, if you’re from in the US and are a native-speaker/ABC type.

Maybe–I guess it would depend on the university. However my university does not show on its transcripts which classes were taken online and which were taken in a traditional classroom. I’ve taken both kinds.