Recommendations for tattoo artists in Taipei — March 2023 version

Hey all. Any recommendations for tattoo artists in Taipei these days?

What kind are you looking for? (I know a number of them, but many are very specialized)

Diagram style, very straight lines. I’m not sure how to describe it.

Would “geometric” be another way to describe it?

Yes!

Ok, I’m going to be suddenly unhelpful and inform you that the two artists I just asked said “叫他隨便找” (“tell him to just find a random shop”).
In that case, I guess you’ll have to look around. Ximending has a lot of shops. Find a place that’s clean. If you’re white, be careful of how much they might try to charge you.

Looking to get something covered up. Does anyone have a favorite artist they recommend? No I don’t want to 隨便找 each artist has their style and some are better than others.

Style and budget?

I’ve loved Andy Shou’s work for years, but he’s pricey, even for Los Angeles, which he books on tours occasionally. I got a quote back in 2013, and still choke on it. His work seems like it’d be great for coverups though. :smiley:

Probably late for @forformosa , but Shan Qiu has cool line / geometric work.

Honestly I don’t know. Someone that is good at coverups? Maybe Japanese style or realism?

I didn’t think budget would be a concern but now that you say that…

I was quoted $1200-1800 for a shoulder blade sized piece. Good artists aren’t cheap.

Googled Shan Qiu and found this:

1 Like

Check out the ig. Not generally my cup of tea, but good line work (I was a little surprised to see the post where @nz’s artist friends say to just find a random shop, given how hard just line work is. Maybe by geometric they were thinking generic tribal tats or something. ).
https://www.instagram.com/hill_tattoo/

Yeah nah fuck if I’m going to some random shop. I was thinking more along the lines of Ting Jue or East Tattoo Hua from the article.

1 Like

This guy is pretty good up in Beitou.