Recommended dermatologist in Taipei

I am seeking a dermatologist who will take time with patients to examine thoroughly. I would like to get a couple of moles looked at and in the process let the doc check others. Actually I want them removed if they are not cancerous by means of liquid nitrogen.

It would be nice if the dermatologist also has some knowledge about male pattern baldness and can examine the scalp and make hair product treatment recommendations. Some expereince/knowledge with minoxidil would be good.

Yes, I have already checked:

but the thread is over a year old.

Thanks in advance.

in the fungus thread below this one, this doctor is mentioned:

The address is åø«å¤§č·Æļ¼—ļ¼—č™Ÿ
77 Shi-Da road.

You can make an appointment by phone - but you can only make an appointment on the day of, starting at 8 in the morning.
2368-1919
2367-3232

The doctors name is Dr. Huang, 黃ē¦Žę†²

drhuang.com.tw/ (Chinese only)

His expertise is for allergies. He said he does not have experience for either moles or MPB.

Now I go to a private doctor, no health insurance there.

Dr. Wu, a big western style shiny place with lots of assistance and even other docs. Not too expensive, 1000 for treatment, pills and injection.

www.drwu.com in Chinese
http://www.drwu.com

I had a few moles removed last week at the ā€œSkin Doctorsā€ on Tienmu West Road. 115 NT for the liquid nitro treatment. Iā€™ve gone to them on a few occassions. The dudeā€™s English is fine.

Thanks to both bob-honest and Chewycorns, I will give them a look.

Chewy can you provide the full address of the ā€œSkin Doctors?ā€

last year when I got a couple moles removed with nitrogen in Taiwan, the guy refused to test them -unlike in Canada, where Iā€™ve had all my moles automatically tested.
so i dont know if youā€™ll have any luck with that. let me know if you do- maybe it was just this guy and not standard practice in taiwan.

seeking competant english speaking dermatologist who is well-versed in seeing patients for longer than 5 minutes. taipei area, preferably chongxiao east rd or nearby. private clinic ok

Have you tried Taiwan Adventist on Pah Te Road?

Anyone know how much this costs without insurance?

Adventist is expensive without insurance, no?

Some small clinics have ripoff fees and donā€™t take insurance.
But most will only charge you a small fee; ask in advance. Might be $500 for a visit or so, plus meds.

If you can find a chinese friend, you might consider the dermatologist on ShiDa Road.

Ever walk along that road and see the doctorā€™s office that always has tons of people waiting outside? My taiwanese friends say that is the best dermatologist in Taipei.

Iā€™ve had an acne problem since Iā€™ve lived in Taiwan. I went to Beijing for 6 months and the acne disappeared, so Iā€™m thinking itā€™s the humidity. In any case, itā€™s really affecting my self-esteem and I really need to see a dermatologist to treat it. The ones Iā€™ve been to totally suck - they donā€™t ask you any questions about your medical history or what meds youā€™ve tried before to treat it; they just give you stuff and tell you to go.

Iā€™m really looking for a dermatologist who 1) takes National Health Insurance, 2) speaks decent English, 3) hopefully was trained in a western country so that 4) he treats patients in the western way (not just wham-bam-out the door).

I would also prefer the dermatologist be a female, bc I think I will request to go on birth control, which I think will help with acne.

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

Male docs donā€™t prescribe birth control? :astonished: I think youā€™ve been misinformed on that one.
Thereā€™s a very popular clinic on Shida Rd. specifically for skin problems. Opposite the little park there. You canā€™t miss it as its always busy.

If your problems are due to humidity, the contraceptive pill wonā€™t make a difference; you just have to keep your skin very clean and train yourself to never touch your face. Drink more water.

Doctors donā€™t prescribe birth control in Taiwan; you just buy it over the counter, anyway. The pill can help with hormonal acne (big zits, usually on your chin). If thatā€™s you, welcome to your thirties! Wrinkles, pigment spots and acne and if youā€™re extra lucky youā€™ll start to grow a beard ā€¦

Never seen an English speaking dermatologist, but the guy on Shida Road opp Roxy Jnr is pretty good.

This off the AIT website:

William W. Lo, M.D.
Education/Credentials
M.D. National Yang Ming Medical College
American Academy of Dermatology
Speaks excellent English

Private Clinic
2F #2, Lane 14, Chung Shan North Rd., Sec. 7, Tienmu
Hours: Mon. - Sat. 3 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Appointments: 2874-3223

That guy on Shi-Da road is good but you canā€™t get more wham-bam than that. I really like the guys on the corner of tienmu n road and tienmu west roadā€“lin skin clinicā€“gives you all the time in the worldā€“but i canā€™t vouch for their english.

I go to the Yangming hospital. Thereā€™s a nice lady there who had fairly good English. They keep burning this thing off and it keeps growing back. I may have to try a different place.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The guy on ShiDa Rd is PRECISELY who Iā€™m talking about with the wham-bam thing. Heā€™s absolutely terrible. Nothing he gave me worked and he REFUSED to prescribe me birth control and said ā€œit wasnā€™t good for meā€ as in bad for my health. Thereā€™s no way in hell Iā€™m going to randomly pick one and go get it OTC. I really need a doctor that can tell me which one to take.

Has anyone had experience with the AIT-suggested guy? I donā€™t want to go all that way just to find out that heā€™s as wham-bam as the ShiDa Rd guy. =/

Sorry for being so difficult.

[quote=ā€œkfcā€]Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The guy on ShiDa Rd is PRECISELY who Iā€™m talking about with the wham-bam thing. Heā€™s absolutely terrible. Nothing he gave me worked and he REFUSED to prescribe me birth control and said ā€œit wasnā€™t good for meā€ as in bad for my health. Thereā€™s no way in hell Iā€™m going to randomly pick one and go get it OTC. I really need a doctor that can tell me which one to take.
[/quote]

He was right. Itā€™s not good for you and modern tricyclics wonā€™t cure acne. Have you ever taken Accutane or even just an anti-biotic?

Itā€™s illogical to refuse to buy drugs OTC then go doctor-shopping to get the drugs you want.

Iā€™m saying I need doctorā€™s advice before I buy anything. Iā€™m not going to medicate myself without first consulting a doctor. At least thatā€™s how we do it in the US. I know many expats who have lived here for so long that theyā€™ve lost grasp of that concept. I really canā€™t believe some of the stuff that is available OTC, like codeine cough syrup.

I would feel much more comfortable getting the advice of a medical professional before buying anything, since my acne is caused partly by hormones and partly by humidity. I donā€™t need advice on what meds to take from POSTERS. I need advice from posters about DERMATOLOGISTS. Thanks! =) Unless, of course, the poster IS a dermatologist, which I highly doubt.