Recommended places to take your kids in Taipei

That’s so sad! How did they know it was that place though? Never been there–looks a little too overstimulating for me.[/quote]

He hadn’t been out of the house for a few days previous and was seen scratching after getting out of the ball pen. After playing in the Zoomall, he and his mother joined me to go look at fireflies in the mountains behind the zoo. He wasn’t likely to pick up anything there.

He started scratching more than night and in the morning his neck was a puss and scab covered mess.

Those ball pens are notorious for holding various diseases in them.

Poor little guy!

I know and I just got over my phobia of ball pits and sandboxes over the last couple years… I might have to just limit it a bit more. I’m worried that I’ve already passed on too many of my hangups…

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]
I know and I just got over my phobia of ball pits and sandboxes over the last couple years… I might have to just limit it a bit more. I’m worried that I’ve already passed on too many of my hangups…[/quote]

Aren’t you a little old for such things anyway?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“braxtonhicks”]
I know and I just got over my phobia of ball pits and sandboxes over the last couple years… I might have to just limit it a bit more. I’m worried that I’ve already passed on too many of my hangups…[/quote]

Aren’t you a little old for such things anyway?[/quote]

Never!!!

I’m not sure of all the times/days, but on Aikuo West Road, outside the National Concert Hall at CKS, there are about 70 small water fountains. At 7pm on Saturdays (and other times/days, but I’m not 100% sure when) they turn on the fountains, and kids (mostly aged 2-8) jump in and play in the water. It’s fun and it’s free. Our 2 year old loves it (and now when he takes a shower at home, he is happy to get water in his eyes.)
I recommend it.
David

just note that if you want to go to Taipei Zoo… you’re not permitted to the map

[quote]You are not permitted to
The Map of Taipei Zoo [/quote]

i think they need to hire a new web-designer / english assistant

– i found that written on their official site –
http://english.taipei.gov.tw/zoo/index.jsp

… i’ve already sent a suggestion to them

We went to the Science Museum in Shin lin on SUnday. Nice, if pricey. Lots of hands on stuff for kids and a cool play area on the 8th floor.

Some pics:

Ok, I try not touchy.

Met some former English teachers:

Pssst…wanna tuck that thing away, please?

Good looks run in the family.

THAT my friends in a giant rectum.

1 Like

[quote=“itsme_alien”]The playspace address is:
Xinyi Rd sec 4 ave 265 Alley 20 no. 22 tel: 02-27840326

Ave 265 is directly opposite the Hess Bookstore on Xinyi sec 4 and the alley is the one after the Inari coffeehouse. If yr purpose is to look for other kids to play with, then it may not be the right place. But if u want to have a place for yr kids to play with variation, then it is good…it even has a large sand area to play…
[/quote]

I went to playspace last weekend with our daughter. She’s two and a half. She enjoyed herself and we will be going back. I suggest buying the 10-hour card. The cost is NT$250 for three hours but that’s too long. The card costs NT$1000 and allows you to split up the ten hours any way you please.

I think up to five years old would be the limit on this place because it’s definitely geared toward kids around my daughter’s age. Bringing a friend along would seem to be the best way to optimize the fun for your kid(s).

I went there today with the wife and daughter. I agree this is a “one off” place: it was worth the time, effort, and money (by the way, a bit cheaper than listed above by qproy), but I think once is enough. It was interesting seeing some of the sharks, the huge sea turtle in the outside tank, the sting rays in the indoor tank with the glass tunnel thing, but the place was a bit small and a little rundown. The 3D film was amusing: bars wrapped in cushioning for seats, crappy old glasses that seemed to be falling off all the kids heads, and effects that didn’t look that different from what I get on my TV at home (certainly nothing was jumping out at me). Anyway, go ahead and try it as a way to do something different and get out of the heat.

Here is some additional info I found helpful.
捷運:劍潭站1號出口,沿基河路步行約5分鐘。免費接泊車:海洋歡樂巴士(City Bus)(台北海洋館-天文館-士林官邸-兒童育樂中心-美術館-劍潭捷運站)◎週六、週日 10:00-16:00 (每整點)◎詳細出車接駁時間,可電洽(02) 2880-3636。
(unless the free bus comes right away I wouldn’t bother because it’s not that far at all if you go out the right, number 1, subway exit.)

Has anyone been here (Children’s Art Museum in Shihlin)?

artart.com.tw/p1-e.htm

What did you/your kid/s think?

Was there fun interactive stuff?

Please see forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … b37acedb03

Apologies for cross-posting. Wasn’t really sure which forum would be best.

Went to the Taipei Municipal Children’s Recreation Center yesterday, that little amusement park just across the river from the Grand Hotel, that you can see down below as you drive past on the highway. This was our first time there and it was better than I expected. It’s no Disneyland, but this was our girl’s first time ever on an amusement park ride and she had a blast. NT$60 admission for 2 adults and 1 child and then NT$20/ride. Also some great slides and climbing things inside the park that are free. The MRT stops right there (I think it’s the third stop north of Taipei main station).

That looks nice MT. haven’t been there in a while. We should do the group family thing there something.

Sure, that would be fun. Our girl was really disappointed that she was too short to ride on the bumper cars (cried a little), but she had a blast on everything else (as did her parents). It’s not real big, but seems fun for kids 2 to 12 or so.

actually good to hear they wouldn’t let her on, the bumper cars there are pretty harsh, in a fun way, best ride there.

We often go there with playgroup and the kids always have a blast. We usually just hang out in the playgrounds (there are three) or dig in the sandbox. Sometimes we have a ride on the little train or the beautiful merry-go-round and finish with a picnic lunch and an ice-cream. At 30nt per adult it’s hard to beat.

And for Thomas the Tank Engine fans, there is a great little train, with tunnel, but make sure you prepare enough tickets for oh, 5, 10, 15 circuits…

Those bumper cars are freaking awesome… in a typical Taiwanese general disregard for safety norms sort of way… my kid used to LOVE those… he didn’t ride anything else… he’d get in a car on the outside and scope out the herd for the weakest or geekiest and he’d go after 'em like a shark! Fun… but really dangerous if you’re used to sanitized saftey-first US bumper cars.

Those cars get five stars from my boy and I. Good memories!

But where’s the dangerous-looking grimy 16-year-old pikey with the tattoos who strides around with a fag hanging out his mouth and a flick-knife sticking out of his jeans pocket who separates the cars when there’s a gridlock?
Every dodgem setup needs one of those. It’s the law, I think.

I thought I would mention some of the attractions at the ‘Taipei Transport Museum’, as it used to be very dull and boring a few years ago, but it has since been spruced up and turned into a much more fun place to visit.
It has dodgeums, a big-wheel, slow racing cars on a track, a lazy river ride, a merry-go-round, a ball pool (indoors, in the basement), 10$ mini trikes, 10$ motorized animal rides, rotating boat (a bit like a magic carpet ride), a little train, and probably more that I fail to remember.
It’s definately worth a visit and also has the more traditional transport museum inside the building for older kids or adults who are interested in the MRT, motorcycle technology, roads etc.