Recommended places to take your kids in Taipei

Is that just an exhibition? My niece is in town from the states and she loooooooves Legos.[/quote]

No, it’s a store, but you can play with the Lego, and buy it by the gram, so you can build something, and take it home. You can pick out certain kinds of pieces you want, like wheel sets, and take them home. Or you can buy Lego of all just one color. But it’s pricier by the gram than buying sets, and as you know, sets aren’t cheap to start with.

Is that just an exhibition? My niece is in town from the states and she loooooooves Legos.[/quote]

No, it’s a store, but you can play with the Lego, and buy it by the gram, so you can build something, and take it home. You can pick out certain kinds of pieces you want, like wheel sets, and take them home. Or you can buy Lego of all just one color. But it’s pricier by the gram than buying sets, and as you know, sets aren’t cheap to start with.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I just looked up a local’s blog and it is kind of like a Lego store back home, but looks so much better, especially with that Lego themed cafe.

How are the prices of the sets? Most dpt stores and toy stores in Taipei are pretty expensive when it comes to sets.

For those other Forumosans that are curious, here’s the blog I checked. Gotta love the locals and how they can blog about everything.

http://wind989.pixnet.net/blog/post/29802807-[台北]圓山brick-works-樂高積木咖啡廳。愛不釋

Get some rollerblades and get lost or go hiking in the numerous mountain trails. Kids need more exercise here. In winter I take my kids hiking from Xindian to Wulai and back. It takes an entire day and they love it.

I lived in Danshui with my two kids (9 and 1) last year. SO, not exactly only TPE, but all within an hour and mostly free: They loved Yeliu Geopark (#1!), the Tapei public library, the Beitou public library and Aboriginal Museum, the Danshui boardwalk on a weekend, and Da’an Park (especially the sandbox, followed by expensive but quick & tasty DTF meal). And, to be honest, the mall at the main Taipei station (specifically the Japanese novelty shop, the noodle shop at the top of the escalator on floor 2, the yakiniku place, and the Baskin-Robbins).

My kid really likes the puppetry museum off Dihua Street, although we haven’t been there in years. I thought the puppets would be a little scary or the tradition would be too old fashioned, but the kiddo loves them

Also popular for quick, easy playtime without going far are the mosaics and other “art” in the long, thin park that follows the railway line south of Zhongshan station. All sorts of imagination-fueled games go down around the animals and robots

It’s not as exciting as Yangmingshan or Yehliu but good for some play in the city without taking a big trip

Nice suggestion on the park South of Zhongshan station. Tend to forget about that park, but it’s great for parents with young kids given its easy accessibility and interesting peripheral cafes and shops in addition to the mosaics

We took our two year old to the Guandu Nature Reserve last weekend - first time for all of us - and all three had a wonderful time. About as natural as it gets around here without leaving the city.

Pricey. Garage sales back home are the way to go. Or wait till you see them on sale at a toy store (as I did, then saved it for a couple years till Dragoncito I was old enough). The Lego cafe is ideal for finding a small amount of whatever kind of brick you’re short on, e.g. long pieces, or a particular color, etc.

I do not know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but the water park between Gongguan and the river is also a great place to let kiddos run around. Not too exciting for adults but fun for them with lots of space to play and things to climb on/run around.

A lot of parents both expat and local take their children to children’s classes usually in Neihu. Arts and crafts, music, that sort of thing. I don’t know details as we don’t do that - we live too far from Neihu on a different line. But it is an option and I am sure some of the Facebook groups dedicated to raising kids in Taipei would have information on that.

Hooters, my parents always brought me to hooters to eat when I was little. It was a fun time.

Kids will love the new amusement park in Shilin. You can avoid the crowd by going at around 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday when most people are leaving the park and enjoy short lines all the way till closing at 8:00. I know it’s no Six Flags, but the small roller coaster helped get my roller coaster fix here in Taipei.

english.tcap.taipei/

Taipei Fine Arts Park Playground

Anything interesting, not likely to leave children shriveled raisins, happening in Taipei this month?

There is a store that kids can play slime.
Google MAP: [https://g.page/WoWSlime?share]
My daughter is crazy about slime and always rubbing it and mixing it whenever her hand is free. In case you don’t know what slime is, here is a video that can show you what it is. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOMa3NeD_s]