Record ID No: How much of ROC ID is it?

Today I got a Record ID No from immigration, so I can open a bank account Taiwan.
I have no idea what other benefits I can get from having it?
Can I take a driving test using it?

For most things you’ll need an ARC or APRC.

Don’t think so. It used to be useful for opening bank accounts, but that hasn’t been the case for a couple of years if you don’t also have an ARC. I think you can also use it to pay taxes or something (because that’s one of the reasons on the form when you apply).

Chinatrust will open it without an ARC.

God save me, I’m saying something positive about a Taiwanese bank.

3 Likes

Oh okay, didn’t know that. How recently? I got the ID number ages ago with the intention of opening a bank account but ended up just being told “no” by a couple of banks and not bothering.

Mine was 6 years ago but I haven’t heard of anyone having difficulty with them opening an account with a record of ID number as this is the ARC number when you get the ARC card.

I think I got mine in early 2017/2018 or something during a previous stay here, then tried E.Sun, Hua Nan, and maybe Chunghwa Post banks but all said they couldn’t do it without an ARC anymore, due to some rule that had come in in the last couple of weeks. I read of other people on Facebook saying the same thing for various banks.

The only time I’ve used it at all is when applying for a gold card recently, when a guy at NIA I was e-mailing about my application told me that, since I’d previously applied for the ID number, I should include that on my application.

Chunghwa Post Bank as well.

Last week.

They told me no before and I said call your office in Taipei to check. I refused to leave until they called to verify. They called and was told the record of ID is enough.
If you want less hassle, find a branch of the bank nearby a university that gets a lot of international students. They know the deal

3 Likes

I’m not so sure about bank account now, I have HSBC Premium account UK that actually pays me to have! Open the equivalent here at HSBC I need 3000000nt in account or get 1000nt month charge.
The main reason for the account in Taiwan is I pay around 1000nt a month ATM charge. Hoping to transfer from UK account to Taiwan account and use Taiwan account for ATM. Seem I be wasting my time.
Other questions are: Apply for driving license and do test?
Government health insurance.
Great give you ID no problem but don’t tell you what can use for!

the information page says the number can be used for those things. NHI, may be for people who are legally employed with or without work permit but on visitor visa without ARC. For driver license, I have not found yet in what cases the number can be used.

Not unless the rules changed recently. Last time I checked you need to have an ARC valid for one year or more to take a driving test.

If you’re from the UK and still have an address there you could solve this problem by getting accounts with Starling, Monzo, and Revolut. Among the three, I think that Starling is hands-down the best (no ATM fee/exchange rate loading, with no monthly limit), but it never hurts to have a couple of backups.

(That’s the same reason I wanted the Taiwanese account as well actually - just to transfer a bunch of money here and avoid repeated ATM fees.)

Thanks for good advice, opened a Starling account was a bit weird.

I use a Android phone for my UK Sim tried to install app using 2 different VPN’s pointing at UK both times said not available in your Country.
Tried on iPhone with Taiwan number no VPN no problem!? Verification code sent UK number android phone. set up account on iPhone.