Recording conversations

There are some very strange things happening in my school…things I am being told to do and not to do. I am feeling a little bit uncomfortable and would like to record certain conversations in the event that I need “a witness” in the future. In the U.S. I know that if I record conversations without due process, the recordings cannot be used to prosecute someone for criminal purposes but can be used in a civil case. What is the law in Taiwan?

Why bother?

Why not just say: “I can’t take that type of instruction orally. Please put it in writing and sign it.”

And then add: “I will pretend I didn’t hear what you just told me . . . . . . . because, as I said, in regard to those types of circumstances (or conditions) I will need to have a written and signed statement.”

[quote=“Hartzell”]Why bother?

Why not just say: “I can’t take that type of instruction orally. Please put it in writing and sign it.”

And then add: “I will pretend I didn’t hear what you just told me . . . . . . . because, as I said, in regard to those types of circumstances (or conditions) I will need to have a written and signed statement.”[/quote]

That will go over well; if you do that you’ll probably being looking for a job soon.

If you are not going to stand up for your rights, don’t expect anyone else to.

What’s wrong with asking for a written statement??? Is your contract with the school written or oral???

Of course it is written.

CONCLUSION: You have a full right to have all “work conditions” specified in writing.

Why? Because recording is a fun-filled wily caper; and getting any written documentation is exceedingly difficult, and often as useless as a pig on a wing.

Exactly. Worthless.

Funny guy. Try that shit on with your average buxiban laoban and see how long you keep your job. :unamused:

Boy does this all sound familiar. Check the second page

Exactly. Worthless.

Funny guy. Try that shit on with your average buxiban laoban and see how long you keep your job. :unamused:[/quote]
Hartzell lives on another planet. Treat him with a bit of respect, please! He’s been here FOREVER! He’s even written a damn BOOK about dealing with the wily inscrutables (although you’d never guess, judging from his posts on here).

Don’t we all live on Mars??

Men Are From Mars, and Women Are From Venus

Isn’t that the correct formulation??

I’d record it! Get a simple digital recorder and stick it in your shirt pocket. Some are the size of a pen.
In the USA it actually depends on which state you’re in. Some say you must have the consent of the other party for any recording, some say video only in public places, some say vid and sound in public but consent in private. Each is a little different.

Therein lies the OP’s answer.