Recording TV on Linux

Ok Linux fans,
A few things are still stopping me from migrating totally over to Linux.
Here’s the biggy I’m trying to find a solution for at the moment…

I want to record TV.

I can view TV perfectly, using TV Time. Absolutely no problems there.

I don’t need anything fancy. No scheduled recordings required. I just want to record what I’m watching at the time.

Myth TV appears to do much more than I need it to, and seems to be an absolute nightmare to set up. Also, my yum does not appear to have it on its list.

NVrec is another option. Anyone know anything about this?

Freevo? Anyone?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is it possible to just do the recording using MPlayer? Or some other simple already-installed software? Like I said, the tuning, etc., is already done by TV Time. I just want to record what’s being displayed…

Any advice gratefully received.

By the way, I’m on Fedora Core 5 with Gnome.

This might also be too overboard for your requirements, but I would have a close look at the Video Disk Recorder for Linux.

cadsoft.de/vdr/

I believe it can do simple things, but let you do much more, so you have more to explore. The question is, does it support your TV receiver card. If so, it is surely a good thing to try out. I am not sure if it is available as a live CD, but I know a source were you can get a distribution just made for this purpose.

Back home it is a killer Linux application, it has its origins from the desire to record MPEG2 satelite streams directly, but with a card that is supported, it should work also for regular cable TV.

[quote=“ratlung”]This might also be too overboard for your requirements, but I would have a close look at the Video Disk Recorder for Linux.

cadsoft.de/vdr/

I believe it can do simple things, but let you do much more, so you have more to explore. The question is, does it support your TV receiver card. If so, it is surely a good thing to try out. I am not sure if it is available as a live CD, but I know a source were you can get a distribution just made for this purpose.

Back home it is a killer Linux application, it has its origins from the desire to record MPEG2 satelite streams directly, but with a card that is supported, it should work also for regular cable TV.[/quote]

Hmmm… that looks really interesting. Not what I’m looking for at the moment, but very interesting.

Reading up a bit more, I reckon I might go for the mplayer option. It seems to be the closest to what I want, though I’m still open to suggestions. My real question though is how to set up mplayer to record from TV, since I’m still very new at this sort of thing. There is no way you could make it too simple for me.

If I remember right, I have a no-name card using a Philips saa7134 chipset, btw.

[quote=“irishstu”]
Hmmm… that looks really interesting. Not what I’m looking for at the moment, but very interesting.

Reading up a bit more, I reckon I might go for the mplayer option. It seems to be the closest to what I want, though I’m still open to suggestions. My real question though is how to set up mplayer to record from TV, since I’m still very new at this sort of thing. There is no way you could make it too simple for me.

If I remember right, I have a no-name card using a Philips saa7134 chipset, btw.[/quote]

So the mplayer does record stuff? Was new to me, but I will have a look at it if I get the chance to. Should not be to difficult to do.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“irishstu”]

If I remember right, I have a no-name card using a Philips saa7134 chipset, btw.[/quote]

So the mplayer does record stuff? Was new to me, but I will have a look at it if I get the chance to. Should not be to difficult to do.[/quote]

Apparently so. It works with mencoder to do it.

there must be some application to watch/record tv. have you tried ktvapp, motv…?

thats why i got a tivo. considering the relatively low price of this thing (compared to a good tv tuner with hardware encoding and all the hassles to configure anything working decently) and the quality of the service, it’s absolutely excellent. and it’s still linux after all :smiley:

Xawtv anyone?

Apparently it can record. Does anyone here use it?