Recourse when landlord is not doing job? Anything we can do?

Hello, sorry if this is not the correct place to in.

Question about what my roommates and I can do with an incompetent landlord or one who just doesn’t seem to care about repairs?

We have lived in a our apartment exactly one month and have had so many problems ranging from minor to major.

First the bathroom flooded - Their solution was to tell us “not to take baths so much…maybe only on the weekends”

Several lights switches don’t work, not a big deal just an annoyance.

The sprinklers on the balcony do not work - even though our lease specifies a 10000NT charge should the plant die

Then all 4 air conditioners stopped working at the same time, it took them 3 days to get someone out to fix them.

Now, our refrigerator is out. All of our food went bad overnight, frozen food all melted. It has been 8 days with no refrigerator, we cannot buy food or cook properly.

Each time we inquire they say “oh they well be there tomorrow at 12:30” Tomorrow at 12:30 comes around and no maintenance person.

Since living here they have cancelled over 10 times (not an exaggeration) to come and fix something. It is completely inconvenient as we have jobs so we are changing our schedules and moving things around to be here at the times they so, only for them not to show.

Tomorrow will be our 9th day without a refrigerator and the latest is “they think someone will be out but cannot be sure and don’t know what time”

The most frustrating is that we paid a 20000NT “electronic deposit” in addition to the 2 months rent security deposit and management fee. The fee was supposedly because the electronics were new, but after a month they are all having issues or there is a bigger electrical problem with the unit.

My question is if there is anything we can do or are we just at their mercy? The landlord speaks English so it is not a communication difficulty, but i’m thinking maybe just having a Taiwanese friend be here next time they come by? Anything else anyone can think of that would help them to expedite the process or take it seriously, seems like they simply just don’t care.

Thanks in advance for any help.

do you rent it directly or with agent involvement? if the latter, you can ask your agent to push your landlord to do all fixing stuffs, otherwise you may consult with landlord about ending the rent without finishing the contract, and you may negotiate about taking back your deposit once both parties agreed to it. In my friend’s experience, landlord returned his deposit 100% because of these inconvenient.

After a certain period of time you can have someone do the repairs or replace items (that are listed on the contract) and then deduct the costs from the rent. I’ve always found it an effective way to encourage activity from the landlord.

Why on earth would you sign up to this?! The plants will definitely die some time. What plant is worth 10,000NT?!

Tsai Ma Ma Foundation might provide some help.

http://www2.tmm.org.tw/English/about_EN.htm

“We provide free counseling for rental entanglement.”

No agent, directly with landlord.

The lease is in Chinese(not a good excuse I know), our foreign neighbors told us about this clause when we were complaining to them about the issues and asking if they had any. It’s more a tree than a plant but I know definitely not worth 10000

Thank you!

I stand to be corrected as the following might not apply in Taiwan, but I would presume it does.

Just stop paying rent and start looking for a new place, I would not waste time trying to get the landlord to fix anything. He will be dragging his feet next time as well when you need something fixed, so dont bother with that.

The landlord will need a court order to evict you, and it will take a month or two to get that so you can still stay in your current place during that time. He cannot enter the apartment either until he got the court order.

FYI, morran01 is not a lawyer and does not understand Taiwan, nor the laws here. Do NOT take his/her advice.

2 Likes

I actually am a lawyer, although it is true I am not particularly familiar with Taiwanese laws, hence the disclaimer that it might work somewhat differently from what I presume in taiwan.

Apparently, I stand corrected. Out of curiosity, where are you licensed to practice? Not that I doubt you…

Sounds like the circuit breakers might be getting tripped.

A European country with similar legal system to taiwan, although you would not need a licence there per se as just graduating with a masters in law makes you automatically “licensed”.

I have llm from hk as well, but I am not allowed to practice there.

Yeah but you don’t want any court orders being served. Believe me its a crap shoot once these things go to court and as a newbie foreigner you have zero leverage (read connections).

Actually, this is more a safety issue, and I do think that the tenant would have a case regarding the place not suitable for living, let alone renting.

First the bathroom flooded - Their solution was to tell us “not to take baths so much…maybe only on the weekends”
This is because fixing plumbing is very expensive and it will involve the neighbors. If you are on a second floor, you are effectively -pardon my French- screwed in thsi matter as the dirt from teh whole building stops there. Clogs there.

Several lights switches don’t work, not a big deal just an annoyance.
Actually, this is the biggest deal, and may explain why the appliances do not work. Look for the fuse box. There should be some stickers regarding inspections. You can also bring your own inspector. I bet you have serious electrical problems which can easily turn into fires. Even small fires can cause loss of property, your property, not to mention life. This is not to be taken lightly. It si a common problem, one that has taken many lives.

The sprinklers on the balcony do not work - even though our lease specifies a 10000NT charge should the plant die

This is why we tell people to bring some local along to have a look at things. It is a biggie not to mention that. Moreover, it is also a very expensive setup, also expensive to repair, which explain why the landlord wants to move the cost to you.

Then all 4 air conditioners stopped working at the same time, it took them 3 days to get someone out to fix them.
This is absolutely insane. You have serious electrical issues. No way this is anywhere normal.

Now, our refrigerator is out. All of our food went bad overnight, frozen food all melted. It has been 8 days with no refrigerator, we cannot buy food or cook properly.
Check the age of the appliance. What brand is it? If it is under 5 years old, the company comes to fix it for free. Call -or have someone call- the service line YOURSELVES. You can bypass the landlord on this issue.

I agree: move away. You are not being given a fair deal, the landlord is taking advantage of you, and no place, no matter the location, is worth risking your life.

Remember for the next place:

1. Take a local or an old hand
  2. Document the state of all appliances and the apartment in general
  3. Agree on fixing the stuff yourself on your own time and your own way rather than call teh landlord, then deduct the repair fee from the rent. This is the best and most convenient arrangement for all.

BTW, your landlord is not Zhang Su-chin or affiliated with her?

1 Like

With the disclaimer above of me not being super familiar how it works here, I would find odd if this went to court. The landlord would need to apply for a eviction order or whatever they call here, which I presume this will take a month or two. After which he still refuses to comply he will need to apply for the courts to send over some court bailiffs to take back possession of the property.

But either way, no one is suggesting the OP should start squatting. Before the case goes as far as the court ordering a eviction order he has already moved out, and any missed rent the landlord can recover from the tenants deposit anyway.

I am just saying, dont pay the landlord anymore and find a new place.

Thank you for this information! Much appreciated. It is a 3 bedroom so I will pass this along to others and see what they say. Everyone would have to be on board with this plan. No, that’s not the name of the landlord. We are in Jhubei.

The refrigerator and all electronics were supposedly new hence the 20000NT electronic deposit. The brand is TECO. I will look into having the company come.

Agreed. When I told them this they said it was not the case :roll_eyes:

TECO SAMPO must be avoided. Now I understand why it took them 4 days to get there…And that was actually fast!

But still, if they were new and all broke down, then definitely there is a big electric problem.