Recovery cd question

Hi, lucky as I am, I won a lap-top computer at my company’s 尾牙. I finally received it today after convincing them to give it to me with English OS (Win XP home edition), which took a few weeks for them (ASUS) to accomplish. However, the recovery CD is 中文版, meaning that if I ever have to recover, it’ll change back to the Chinese version … or does it? So, two questions: the latter (will use of Chinese recovery CD change the entire system to Chinese or is there a built-in language selector or so??), and are recovery CDs available on the market? How much are they? Insightful help is much appreciated! Xpet.

I just know that you can’t buy an English version of Norton Ghost in Taiwan, you have to order it online from Symantec.

Receovery CD should recover the system to how it came, so if you use the recovery CD, your OS should still be in English.
As for the Norton antivirus or drivers, I believe they are in English as I could still install it after I installed Windows XP Professional. P.S. My laptop is Acer.
But why don’t you call ASUS and ask them?

[quote=“Sweetie”]Receovery CD should recover the system to how it came, so if you use the recovery CD, your OS should still be in English.
As for the Norton antivirus or drivers, I believe they are in English as I could still install it after I installed Windows XP Professional. P.S. My laptop is Acer.
But why don’t you call ASUS and ask them?[/quote]

I don’t tink that’s the case here. If I understood Xpet correctly, he got his computer with Windows XP English version on the hard drive, but has a Chinese recovery CD.

You might try taking the recovery CD back to Asus and asking if they can exchange it for an English one. Otherwise, get a pirated version of Windows (did I say that?).

Or do the right thing and install Linux.

cheers,
DB

“Where do you want to go today? Do you think Microsoft gives a shit?”

After buying my ASUS laptop, I went to the ASUS office and exchanged my Chinese recovery discs for English ones. I didn’t have any trouble at all. So, give them a call.

Hi all, thanks a lot for the info. I was also told about the “ghost” software …

NeonNoodle, could you pm me the details of where you went etc.? Thanks!

According to the ASUS-rep my company works with the English recovery CD is not available in Taiwan … he probably didn’t even try to find out whether that’s true or not …

Thanks, Xpet.

I bought a copy of Ghost at the local cankun (forgot what it’s called in English), wondered about whether it would work with my German WinXP, called the Taiwan Symantec technical hotline and they told me that the Chinese menus will not be displayed in a non-CHinese Windows. They also said that by law it they not allowed to sell the English SW version in Taiwan.

So I believe what the ASUS guy said. You can’t officially buys it. Which doesn’t mean that it is impossible to get an English copy as Neonnoodle says. Just try.

I never use CD Recovery when my laptop(I have 2) is crashed.
I suggest you clone your system by Symantec Ghost ,Norton Ghost, or TrueImage. They are all nice products for cloning and restoring your system.

If you are a beginner, maybe Norton Ghost 2003 is a good choice.

Bless you.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help! I’m not really a beginner pc user, but that doesn’t make me an expert either … :wink: Thanks, Xpet.