Recruiting agencies

I am going to meet with a recruiting agency in Tainan, Jets Crown…Good or Bad Idea???They offer a yearly salary of 24000 american. I don’t know the specifics yet… can someone out there give me some advice. I am in desparate need of a job, and place to live before I run out of money…

Thanks

Here’s some advice…f&ck them! Do it on your own!

Agents are always a bad idea. Look at the contract, it is likely against Taiwan law, including such things as an amount withheld from your pay.
Does the school also have a policy manual, homework schedule, Teacher’s code of Conduct; all can be under many different names and to repeat ‘once in the school it only gets worse’
If you still decide to sign, be paid by the school not the agent. The school will evade any responsibilities, deny, deny, leaving you with a battle with the agent, who does not care about their reputation, and you without two months salary.

I have worked for one of the agents with the worst reputation, and I would discourage anyone from having anything to do with them.

I’ve also worked for Foresight International in Taipei, and they are effectively an agent too. After doing summer camps for them I got my choice of high school jobs. They were well paid, relatively BS-free, and all I had to do was show up on time and teach the lessons provided. I never had a problem getting paid, not even when we parted ways at CNY. They call me occasionally when they’re looking for teachers, and I have no hesitation recommending them.

Not ALL agents are bad, in the same way that not ALL foreign teachers are irresponsible incompetent drop-outs. There are a few good guys out there, on both sides of the fence.

Heed the words of stragbasher. I assume that the agency with the “worst reputation” is IACC, with whom I have a store of negative experiences.