Rectangle blocks instead of characters?

A few times now ive seen this. Is it intentional or is my phone acting funny?

Screenshot_2019-04-16-09-44-21

That’s how “they” hide things from us.

1 Like

It’s font sets your phone does not have therefore cannot display. Blame @mad_masala for writing in weird fonts.

From the screenshot it looks like you are using an Android phone, which would be weird, because most phones comes with Google’s droid fallback and Noto font, which covers most unicode code pages already.

There are ways to add a font with more coverage to your phone. Depending on how your phone is setup, it may or may not require rooting your phone.

It may also have something to do with your browser or your browser’s default font. Though I use firefox on my phone as well, and I don’t have that issue.

Screenshot_20190416-101215

1 Like

It’s a new Mandarin phonetic system.

1 Like

Ok cheers thanks. Makes sense. Ya im using android with firefox. Phone is 1 month old.

Its strange though as sometimes news articles on my home screen and youtube do it as well. Not often but probably 1 to 2 times a week.

may I ask which phone you are using? I’m surprised that a new phone wouldn’t have a font with unicode coverage

My Oppo R11s plus has the same issue.

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has the same issue as well…
Screenshot_20190416-141345

I use LG k9 now.

Seems its common problem.

So it was correct, its mad massalas fault!

Actually someone else used that typeface there. Not naming any names :slight_smile:

1 Like