Recycling coffee grounds/filters

I am glad I am using now a special cup so I don’t have to use filters. However, at that time, I owuld have welcomed this suggestions: associatedcontent.com/articl … ounds.html

Some remarkable ones:

[quote]According to DIY Life that after you give your dog a bath you can rub coffee grounds through the fur to help repel fleas. Coffee grounds can also be used to soften and add shine to your hair. You can deodorize your freezer by adding a few drops of vanilla to a small bowl of coffee grounds. Does your furniture have scratches? Rub the scratches with some wet coffee grounds.

[/quote]

Dunno how well that would work on white dogs, though… :laughing: For filters:

[quote]Strain used cooking oil.

Clean your eyeglasses.

Use instead of paper towels to absorb the grease from fried foods.

Clean the screen of your television.

[/quote]

You can run more coffee through the spent grounds and then use that to dye fabric (to get a beige color). This needs to be done before the oils in the grounds go rancid, though. People also use them in their gardens, although I’m not certain exactly what for.

Collect a lot and press the oil …

Sprinkle on ice cream.

Bump for a trivial but annoying issue.

I don’t know what to do with coffee grounds. I use a French Press, so no filter. I typically make 2-3 cups of coffee at home a day.

What I typically do: reuse a plastic tea-stand cup or 1L cardboard milk container, fill with coffee grounds day by day, dump that in the garbage and repeat. I used to keep that in the fridge because somewhere I heard it works as a deodorizer - no idea if that’s true. These days it’s on the kitchen counter and … well, it’s just untidy, darn it.

Dumping them in the garbage can every day is messier than I’d like: almost inevitably I spill some of the grounds onto the floor, and whatever liquid is left will collect and possibly leak from the bottom of the bag.

Am I missing some obvious way to remove this essence-of-first-world-problem from my life? Can/should the grounds go in one of the two scraps bins in our apartment complex, and if so, which one? Should I use these coffee grounds as a place to pour leftover cooking oil as well? (I know the oil isn’t supposed to go down the sink but, er, that’s where it goes …)

Thanks!

At my house the grounds all go into the garden soil

3 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t have enough of a garden for that - one to six spice plants on the balcony, in varying stages of health.

Mind you, if I ever got off my arse and started transplanting those plants into bigger pots so they’d actually grow, maybe that would also give me something to do with coffee grounds.

Coffee grounds are what I see flight attendants use to soak up/eliminate odors from human waste stains on the plane, so I think that speaks to its deodorizing properties. Not sure if they’re more or less effective if they’ve been used before.

Besides that, it’s always good to get a couple more plants, if only to have a better use for your coffee grounds. There are several hardy indoor plants you could get that all but thrive on neglect, and they double as an air purifier. I recommend the spider plant and devil’s ivy.

1 Like

No indoor plants, unfortunately, because one of my cats is a complete and total idiot about what he’ll eat. If his puke was stinkier, then we could perhaps use the coffee grounds to help deodorize the sofa, but odor isn’t an issue - and I assume the grounds would just accentuate the stains.

I also think I’d need a few significantly sized trees to go through all the coffee grounds we produce!

Does anyone know if the grounds can go in one of the two scraps bins? If so, which one? Beside the sink I’ve always got a container for coffee grounds, and a container for kitchen scraps - the latter dumped and then cleaned every evening. Combining them in one container would be somewhat easier I guess. Plus less stinky on the evenings when I’m too lazy to take out the scraps.

I think you can and should combine them.

Also, don’t get devil’s ivy. It is toxic to cats if eaten.