Recycling in Taipei

[quote=“arion”]How exactly do you get your deposit back for the bottles?

I’m embarrased to say that in Seattle, where recycling is compulsory, I recycled like crazy, but here in Taiwan, I can’t figure it out. :s[/quote]

It’s compulsory here too. What can’t you figure out?

OK, forgive me if you feel like you’ve already answered these questions, but I read the whole thread and I still have a few things to ask. I’m new to Taiwan (Taipei County) and the trash/recyclables thing has been confusing me.

I see pink bags and black bags at my local supermarket. I thought there were blue bags for recycling? I don’t know where I’m supposed to get those.

And is there a separate garbage truck and recycling truck or can I bring it all out at once (assuming it’s the right day)?

Thanks

recycling is the wave of the future worldwide.

here in the city of san francisco they give each house 3 big garbage cans. one for trash , one for organic and one for recyclables including paper and plastic and these are further sorted out at the dumps. but other towns of the bay area has its own rules or no rules.

when i lived in a complex in walnut creek, they had zero recycling. everyone just pitches everything in a big blue dumpster thats removed weekly.

but now in another town, they have lots of big plastic dumpsters for recyclables which can be anything. metal, plastic , paper all in one can. i guess they will be further separated at the dump

and i even saw two garbagemen sifting thru the big metal dumpster to sort out recyclables that the denizens of this apt complex didnt bother with??

EVERYONE has to become an environmentalist and recycle as much as possible. you owe it to yourself !!!

i rinse out bottles and carefully recycle as much of everything as i can get my little paws on.

but seems the rules are overly complex in taiwan??? WHY dont they just have a recycle bin that you can put in paper/plastic/metal in and get that sorted out at the dumps?? like they do in san francisco. seems to be pretty efficient here ( i saw a tv program on that here ). They need to make it real easy so even the scumbags will do it. I would be lost when i go back to TAiwan?? I wouldnt have a clue !!! what with the mondays its this and tuesdays its that thing?

no plastic bags given out? how to line your garbage pails now?

GEE. will someone who is pretty expert on this please write out a concise guideline for the newbies and wannabees??

bits and pieces of info has been written. we need a MICHELIN guide to Trash management in Taiwan kinda thing

YES, im soo glad Taiwan is getting environmental. It has to be. 23 MILLION PEOPLE living on a rock thats two/thirds mountainous. AND NO PART OF IT is available for trash burial. And all the incinerators create DIOXIN if plastic is burned. SO COME ON FOLKS recycle or BREATHE DIOXIN.

UGH.

they need to get serious HERE in the USA in a big WAY TOO.

to help clear up the mystery of recycling in Taipei: http://www.epb.taipei.gov.tw/

The hard part is learning how to ask for the tax stamp trash bags as they always keep them behind the counter at 7-11.

I live near the OP’s intersection and I’m not sure when the musical truck comes by as my building charges me a monthly fee for the privelege of dropping it in my back alley at my convenience.