Recycling question

I read that Taiwan has one of the best recycling systems in the world. They recycle most of their plastic. Is that really true? If so why are not other countries doing the same?

Yes. It’s true because there is a nation-wide law mandating it for every household. In the US for example, only certain cities like NYC have household recycling mandates.

I doubt it’s true as written there.

Maybe most PET is recycled, or maybe “most” (more than half, or 60-90%, or whatever) of domestic plastic or total plastic is collected for recycling or incineration, but I seriously doubt that most of the plastic used in Taiwan is actually recycled.

4 Likes

Two articles about Taiwan recycling

Just because people 分類 here does not mean the plastic is actually being made into new things. Cuz it’s not. Raw/virgin plastic is still significantly cheaper than recycled plastic, so it is still the default plastic of choice for almost all plastic goods

1 Like

It’s two times the same article

3 Likes

Tzu Chi handles most of the recycling matters

This is the second article

Our custodian/guard for our building takes care of getting trash ready for someone else in neighborhood to pick up. But they do not take the food trash. If you want to bring separated food trash you must do it at night yourself. We do not have time to that so we put it in with regular trash. Not against law and nobody has said anything about doing it

You just replied to an AI bot. Or was that reply meant for someone else?