Red envelopes for low-and middle-income households - DPP trying to get back the trust from public?

It’s not, it’s collected from them at the point of sale

The importer will pay vat on import, but can offset that against vat collected when sold to end consumer

shut up, Occasional Cortex! Stop triggering me!

In the end the costumer always pays! Who offsets what is not the customers problem.

Collected too much in taxes? Here’s an idea, give it back to all the tax payers!

The 30K is BS in a lot of cases, Taiwanese posted abroad by their companies put down a min salary which is tax free here in order to keep up insurance payments, NHI, pension seniority etc., those highly paid expats will also get the red envelope full of your taxes!

1 Like

That’s not the whole story, Taiwanese expats are not the same as Western expats. They may have a higher income but believe me it’s far from ideal.

1 Like

Plus all the many tax cheats that are so plentiful here. As already mentioned the landlords that don’t report tax, the street stalls and shops that don’t give receipts, to employees where the boss fudges taxes for everyone’s benefit. They all are going to get red envelopes.

Gong hei fat choy indeed.

Somehow I also think foreigners will be excluded from this scheme, as is tradition.
Like we are excluded from the electric scooter subsidy, attraction discounts, and the current hotel discount scheme among others.

3 Likes

Most of us can’t vote, we’re not the target of this “”“generous”“” gift from the government.

3 Likes

You can always ‘direct’ your spouse to vote the way you want.

My spouse cannot vote here either

You know all of them and the salary and allowances they get paid?! How many have you worked with in China? Is their “far from ideal” salary deserving of NT$10,000 of tax payers money in Taiwan?

Yep, I’m already thinking of what to do with the red envelopes we will be getting.

Thank you everyone who contributed, it is much appreciated.

:kissing:

Ah, the “all taxation is robbery” meme again! I’m still waiting for its proponents to present a feasible alternative to taxation. :tumble:

(This is not a statement for or against the hongbao scheme that started this thread.)

I don’t even care what they do as long as they keep KMT at bay in 2020. Including cancelling the election.

The point is it’s a rich country that believes it’s poor, so every penny counts.

No idea why you think that I think “all taxation is robbery” unless you are, of course, up to your old tricks of putting words into other people mouths and demanding they explain the half-baked theory you’ve just hung 'round their neck.

This scheme makes no sense because the income cutoff is arbitrary. The family reporting NT$30,0001 in monthly income is ineligible for a hong bao. It creates a class of Taiwanese who “win” at the expense of a Taiwanese neighbor who reports a negligible amount more in monthly income. It demands a level of egalitarianism from Taiwanese they may not share with the government, a demand they may not have realized would come due when they cast their vote. Worse, the money collected at their expense is being used to encourage like activity next year, too.

In my opinion, taxation and tax collection are valid acts of government. (I confess that I’m not much interested in what countries where I cannot vote do about them, though.) In the US - again imo - the Federal income tax should be a flat tax collected on all income with zero exemptions. Fairest of all worlds.

I think that’s laughable. Singapore is one city AND it doesn’t have China holding it back 24/7.

I understand your concerns.

There are a few issues with the Taiwan tax code , numero UNO being massive tax evasion across the island. Apart from that it’s not a bad system overall. This year they even ran a surplus.

But still a lot of low earners will appreciate the Christmas bonus. New Year is a time of financial stress for many people. Cash into their accounts will be a God send for them. A lot of these low earners don’t get any kind of bonus.

Let’s see how they structure the hand outs. Most likely it will be by household income tax statements .

It would be good if they gave it to any worker with tax receipts of 30k and less income. But then you would miss out on those who aren’t able to work.

So it must be household income statements. Possibly just 10k+ per household .

Years back during the financial crisis Ma gave everybody free coupons to buy stuff. This scheme they are proposing is better than that.

In practice mine can’t either.
Many people are disenfranchised in reality because they don’t own property in the district they live in.

Let’s see Dan2006. It’s a test.
Almost all the caretakers and labourers earn less than 30k a month.
Over 800k people.
I would be pleasantly surprised if they gave them a ‘bonus’.

1 Like

They’ll give them dick and we all know it.

Well no matter how much I bellyache on the flob the government will do what they like anyway :slight_smile: